Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Father of the Bride speach
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Okay – I have to give my daughter away next weekend and have just found out I have to make a speech.

What do I say? What don't I say?

Any suggestions?

Talkemada
    Free Member

Why do you have to giver her away? Won't anyone buy her?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Just be glowing, say how proud you are, what a great couple etc. Jokes optional really – they are best man teritory really.

kokomojoe
    Free Member

Stand up, speak up, and shut up. Three minutes absolute tops but be sure to say nice things regardles!

grahamh
    Free Member

Try this 😆

callous
    Free Member

Keep is short and proud.

I went to some close friends wedding and her father inadvertantly made me spit beer across the table and cackle madly with laughter at his (very emotional) speech. I quote
    "I remember the first time I saw Karin in the hospital, she was in an incubator. She was so small and delicate and look at her now"

Cue beer spit !

Talkemada
    Free Member

Oh dear! Ah, those embarrassing moments when you find something hilarious, that no-one else does. Then everyone looks at you like you're a murderer. Yep, been there! 😆

rkk01
    Free Member

Just try to avoid hypocrisy

mogrim

Short and sweet, and toast the couple at the end.

Youtube's blocked here, is that the Rowan Atkinson sketch?

grahamh
    Free Member

Youtube's blocked here, is that the Rowan Atkinson sketch?

Indeed it is..

Ti29er
    Free Member

You only just found out?!
    It's always been one of your duties.
    This rather suggest you aren't fully up to speed with what's required of you at the wedding!

Your MC toasts the b&g, not you.
    There is a limit to the cheesy / cute tails, so make them pithy & heart felt; not dripping in sentimental self-absorbed slush.

organic355
    Free Member

My father in law was trying to explain how much we both liked cooking but ended up saying "She really likes her food", didn't go down well with the wife!! 😀

theres tonnes of stuff online, but FOB speeches should be nice stuff about your daughter, maybe embarrass her a little bit with a cute school story, and maybe a few funny digs at your new Son in law!

DickBarton

"Thank god someone else is taking care of the problem now…good luck, thanks for all the fish!"

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

How much do you like the groom to be? Could be a good time to get a few sly digs in…!

29erKeith
    Free Member

oh don't Organic/Surf, I'm dreading the father of the bride speech at my wedding.
    I can't stand the fat Lazy barsteward, full of himself BNP sounding conservative twunt!

and before anybody says anything about the fat comment (recent threads and all), each their own but…
    he's not just on the tubby side of things either but a fully paid up member of the Morbidly obese brigade, he's hospitalised himself a number of times due to excess drinking and his size.

I can almost guarantee he'll get in some little comment, which will make want to go and punch him in the face!
    I'm not a violent person and have never punched anybody but he just make my blood Boil!!
    something I really just don't want to be tense about or happen on our wedding day

thing is I'm sure my other half knows deep down that he's an arse
    but forgives him every time he upsets her
    Family's! life would be so much simpler sometimes 🙄

Apologies WCA, really on my mind at the mo, just needed to vent
    All I'd say is keep it brief tbh
    formalities out of the way so everybody can get on relax and party 8)

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Keith – that does not sound fun at all! I'd avoid getting to pi55ed before the speech or you might end up letting rip and ruin the whole day.

Weirdly, despite putting on a hell of a wedding, my FIL's speech was so terrible (he was very nervous and no one could hear him) that my dad ended up doing an impromptu speech to prop him up a bit. He's never lived it down…

29erKeith
    Free Member

Matt yeah agreed on the drink,
    thing is he'll have probably downed a bottle or two by that time, which is what worries me

Ti29er
    Free Member

FOB can really have a bit of fun, thruth be known.
    You can formally welcome the groom into your family and talk about some times you've had together.

And have a dig at the bride along the way, in a jovial way (cooking, credit card bills, driving skills, clothes, horses, junior school, school plays, sports days, TV) you know her better than us!
    You could have some Visa Bills to hand on to the groom as she's now his responsibility.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Father of the Bride speach’ is closed to new replies.