• This topic has 126 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 127 total)
  • Fasted rides
  • hora
    Free Member

Just finished my first this morning. Started at 5am with no coffee. Is that essential? I dont feel hungry- should I?

(25mile ride but flat). Can I do these every morning to kick start fatburn? (My commute is 700m’s to work)

weeksy

if you do a 25 mile ride every day it won’t matter if you’ve fasted or not, it will help with your weight.

thinktank
    Free Member

I’m starting a RacingWeight ‘Quickstart’ period for 8 weeks today. It simply recommends 1 fasting ride a week with aerobic filler and strength work on other days. I think a black coffee is more of an ergogenic than a food per se – so just that and some water during should be fine.

hora
    Free Member

It takes about 25mins to make and drink the coffee though. On the bike and out- less time to stumble around and grumble 😀

twonks

If time is of the essence then why bother with the best coffee experience.

Just get a Dolce and super espresso capsules. 2 minutes done and drank.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Coffee won’t break the fast if black with no sugar. I just neck an espresso or 2 if fasting takes seconds Lol

Some say coffee also speeds up the fat scorching process and of course gives more energy to ride harder to burn more cals.

If you don’t have an espresso machine just buy dowe Egbert’s freeze dried espresso.

Since fasting cholesterol dropped by a third, body fat down to 12% from 17%, blood pressure down and lost a stone very easily.

hora
    Free Member

Some say coffee also speeds up the fat scorching process and of course gives more energy to ride harder to burn more cals.

If you don’t have an espresso machine just buy dowe Egbert’s freeze dried espresso.

Would like an espresso machine but I’ve got a induction hob-cooker.

What were your rides/frequence/timescale to do ^?

turboferret

I invariably do the vast majority of my training early morning on an empty stomach, although I do get some liquid calories in when out.

Certainly not looking to lose any weight though, if I dropped below my racing weight of about 62kg I reckon I’d be pretty unwell 😀

Cheers, Rich

hora
    Free Member

I’ve got +35kg on you so I can afford to spend a few kg’s..

trail_rat
    Free Member

“dowe Egbert’s freeze dried espresso”

no – dont … its vile – and thats coming from someone who used to drink coffee made from ground bean in a cup with water – it was still better than any of the freeze dried pish – even the fancy ones.

got one of them for morning rides now takes about 6 minutes to make and drink the coffee – and i find it makes far superior “espresso LIKE” coffee.

you can get electric mokas hora ? – work like a kettle really

binners

The pre-ride beakfast of champions…..

Did you where your blue and white lycra?

jam-bo

If i do an early morning ride I’m on the bike less than ten minutes after waking up. Lay out kit night before to save fumbling around looking for stuff.

daftusername
    Free Member

Hora.

Would you be able to post any links to this program you are following?

Sounds interesting.

somouk
    Free Member

Just make sure you do take some food on board when you get back from the ride, even something like a banana would be ideal.

hora
    Free Member

Hora.

Would you be able to post any links to this program you are following?

Sounds interesting.

Will have a look – sure its on here. I also remember a Brit Pro who was sent out for ‘water only’ rides when he weight was found to be too high by his coach (Brailsford?). Same principle.

Jambo – this is what I did. I knew that if I woke up at 5 and had to fumble/search I’d just decided to not bother/turn over. Everything was laid out by the door/wheels pumped from last night.

I took poo roll though. You never know.

drofluf
    Free Member

@hora You can get stove top espresso makers that work with induction hobs. I got one in Italy – the shop owner didn’t speak English but heard the word induction and appeared with a magnet to show me which pots would work

bikebouy
    Free Member

I used to drink 1ltr of hot water with a lemon in it to start me off in a morning. By the time the kettle had boiled and I’d got my kit on the drink was just temporate enough to swig down. May help instead of coffee.

binners

Apparently there are 2 calories in a black coffee. This whole training programme thing? You dreamt it didn’t you?

sandwicheater

Very interested by this as I try and shift some weight/ride more first thing.

+1 for a link Hora, would be very grateful

Superficial
    Free Member

Moka pots don’t make espresso. They make a bitter strong burnt-ish coffee that’s a poor substitute.

I’m sure there’s something in ‘The rules’ insisting you should own a decent espresso machine. If not, there should be.

hora
    Free Member

Heres one link. Skip down the page

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/ride-like-a-caveman-1064/

Thinking about it I’d echo the eat something (healthy) post-ride, partly out of common sense but also to stop me losing it and pigging out out of shakes/hunger. I’m doing this as a spur to get down by 1 stone to 14stone7. No more.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i missed the part that said they did make espresso…..

ps as i was shown recently after similar complaints – if its bitter and burnt your making it wrong – lower heat.

my mate dan made me a coffee with my moka and my ground that was brilliant….. when ever i made it it was burnt and bitter.

still far superior to anything freeze dried and imo better than anything that comes out of my parents pod machine.

hora
    Free Member

I’ll have a look at plug in’s tonight but also one that I can use on my induction as that equals cheaper/less storage faff too.

binners

Blimey! I’ve inadvertently been being healthy, by unknowingly doing a ‘fasted ride’ that I’ve been foolishly referring to as ‘my commute’

I is like an athlete innit? 😀

hora
    Free Member

Aye….are you smoking again binners? If you are I’ll hurt you 😯

njee20
    Free Member

The benefit of coffee before a ‘bonk ride’ is the caffeine, you can get it other ways too if you’re trying to kick start your metabolism a bit.

Deveron53
    Free Member

For my fat-burning rides I make a 6 serving Moka pot (Lavazza)and drink the lot with a tablespoon of molasses sugar. I usually have to visit the loo to lose a bit of ‘weight’ before I can ride as coffee has that effect on me…
    The caffeine takes about 30 minutes to get going but I can certainly feel it once I’m on the first hill and warmed up. Listening to a bit of Rammstein as I’m getting ready usually helps as well.

I was told the theory behind the caffeine was that it mobilises fat into the bloodstream and the body will use fat if it’s there in the blood as energy before any other source. It even leaves the muscle glycogen alone. Caffeine also acts as an anaesthetic for the pain of exercise so there’s 2 performance enhancing reasons!

hora
    Free Member

Ah yes, Caffeine also helps me unload in a morning. I think I’ll need the poo-roll for alfresco fun tomorrow morning. I hope I get to the countryside section as I imagine it’d be an interesting conversation if the Police catch me in urban Urmston.

Deveron53
    Free Member

I always wait before setting off. Who needs lightweight carbon parts? I’m sure my ‘unloading’ is the equivalent of £1000 of weight weenie components…

jameso

For my fat-burning rides I make a 6 serving Moka pot (Lavazza)and drink the lot with a tablespoon of molasses sugar. I usually have to visit the loo to lose a bit of ‘weight’ before I can ride as coffee has that effect on me…
    The caffeine takes about 30 minutes to get going but I can certainly feel it once I’m on the first hill and warmed up. Listening to a bit of Rammstein as I’m getting ready usually helps as well.

I was told the theory behind the caffeine was that it mobilises fat into the bloodstream and the body will use fat if it’s there in the blood as energy before any other source. It even leaves the muscle glycogen alone.
    I think that’s right, but also think the tablespoon of sugar will power you for a fair way before you start drawing on fat as fuel. I like sugar with coffee before riding but for am ‘fasted’ rides, black coffee w/o sugar.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

I always poo before I get up

hora
    Free Member

sugar will power you for a fair way before you start drawing on fat as fuel.

I think if I did that I’d be heading for shakes/crash/feeling terrible.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i suppose you think being rude first thing in the morning is a terribly trendy thing to do dont you vyvian 😀

D0NK

Dubious dietary tips, caffeine delivery snobbery and benny hill all in the same thread?

where’s my exploding head gif?

Superficial
    Free Member

if its bitter and burnt your making it wrong – lower heat.

I may well have been doing it wrong – I’ve given up using the Moka pot for anything other than camping trips. However, they generate pressure by the boiling of water in a semi-sealed unit. So by definition, given the pressure in a Moka pot, the water MUST be slightly hotter than 100ºC so you end up with burnt grounds. On the other hand, espresso machines use slightly lower temperatures but far higher pressures.

Anyway, long story short, my espresso machine gets daily use and it’s amazing. Everyone should own one 😛

Solo
    Free Member

Just make sure you do take some food on board when you get back from the ride, even something like a banana would be ideal.
    Ideally within 30 mins of finishing the ride.

I always poo before I get up
    😯

I’ll do fasted rides at low intensity for anything upto 4 hours, on water.
    Obviously this isn’t my only type of ride. I do faster rides, of between 90 mins to 4 hours, on liquid carbs. I’ve recently been experimenting with homebrew carb drink too.

bigdawg
    Free Member

are we talking real fasted rides or early morning rides using the previous nights dinner.

Every sunday Im up at 5 either doing an hour (hi intensity – intervals) on the turbo or out for 3-4 hour ride (70 miles plus hilly ride – good for KOMs with few cars about!), i dont eat or drink anything beforehand (otherwise Id wake the kids up!), drink I use High 5 zero (no carbs) and usually have a cereal bar (9 bar) or two in my back pocket, but 9 times out of ten Itll still bethere when I get back… Never hit the wall or had problems.

Once im back however Ill have scrambled eggs, chorizo peppers mushrooms and a bowl sized mug of coffee.

hora
    Free Member

bigdawg, in what shape are you approaching these rides though? i.e I doubt you are particularly over weight? So in a different position. I imagine you are already at ‘fighting’ weight. Saying that – even you will be riding on last nights tea.

Solo
    Free Member

BD.

If you’re happy doing that, carry on.

As for fasting, dinner the night before a ride, as the last meal, means the ride is conducted in a “fasted” state, the next morning.

bigdawg
    Free Member

What shape? 5% bodyfat – apparently not normal for a 46 year old who can climb better than the local youth team on a 20 year old bike?!

But a couple of years ago i was 2 1/2 stone heavier, its been a lot of hardwork determination and stubborness

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘Fasted rides’ is closed to new replies.