• This topic has 21 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Fast rolling MTB tyres
  • zer0cool
    Free Member

Hi All, so may tyre choices… Im looking for a fast rolling tyre for singletrack, riding round the woods, also riding on road without being draggy. Purpose of riding on the road will be to get to the woods. What is a good fast rolling tyre? Any the Nobby Nic Evo Snakeskin any good?
    Any suggestions appreciated.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ralphs for me. Got some for the Ridgeway, very nice.

Ok in intermediate conditions, less so in gloop.

chakaping
    Free Member

Lovin’ the Crossmark 2 in 2.35in width and exo carcass.

Not used it since the trails turned to slop though.

Splash-man
    Free Member

I’m a Crossmark fan as well.
    Ride them year round cross country on my Hei Hei.
    Roll well on the road and the winter handling keeps you awake and your reactions up to speed.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Nobby Nic snakeskin are great on front for grip or both when on trails, any tarmac etc though they are very draggy on the back.

I am running Rocket Ron snakeskin rear, Nobby Nic snakeskin front. Seems to work well so far in mixed trails (not rocky here though).

Stoner
    Free Member

Rocket rons and racing ralphs have always been my favoured tyre when not riding in the Alps.

honourablegeorge

Minion SS

onandon
    Free Member

Try the rolling resistance web site or the thread from a few days ago asking the same thing.

rossburton
    Free Member

Ralphs are fast. Nobby Nics are definitely not. My hardtail has WTB Nine Line on the rear, very fast rolling (just no grip in thick mud so I need to swap them out now apparently it’s winter)

philstone

In Jersey we always have to use roads to link up paths. I’ve tried loads in the past but for me the best compromise for grip/drag are Maxxis HR2 on the front and Ardent 2.4 in the rear. When it turns wet and muddy Im using an Aggressor on the back and I’m really really surprised by how well it rolls.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Slaughter on the rear.

NZCol

Ardent/ikon pairing works for me

TheGingerOne

Ardent and Ikon for me too on the hardtail. Certainly slippy this past weekend after the rain on the South Downs though

retrobri
    Free Member

Ralph front and thunder Burt rear, both in snakeskin variety. I use around here, ridgeway/chilterns, very impressed. I tend to shift Ralph to rear and whack a nic upfront when stupid muddy

kayak23

Ardents. They got a rolly middle bit.

flumewelck
    Free Member

Forekaster roll quite well.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Specialized purgatory

braddersrm
    Free Member

I threw on some Continental Race Kings once in a dry-ish spell coming from Minions, felt like I was cruising along the tarmac. Flew up the climbs which I could get grip on but any sign of wet roots or chalky patches it would spin out. Sidewalls made of tracing paper too, two slashes in sidewall from kicked up stones, though these were an older model. Absolutely flew in straight line on the singletrack though, gave cornering something more to think about. In dryer conditions I’d like to give the newer models a go though.

joe67
    Free Member

Continental x king front race king rear fast rolling set up tubeless 6 months trouble free

Carax
    Free Member

I like Specialized Fastrack, I use them all the time unless its especially muddy in them woods.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Specialized purgatory

I’ve spent the last four years running Purgs in 26″, 27.5″ and 29″ varieties and have just switched to High Roller IIs on my 29er and 27.5 full suss bikes. I find the HRs are much better rolling, I’m consistently in a higher gear on these when riding my local trails, even though we’ve endured an extremely wet end of season and that the ground is much softer than it was back in June.

iainc

I have Nobby Nics front and back on my Anthem, which doesn’t see too much gloop – this thread is making me think about putting the rear Racing Ralph it came with back on….

My HT, which does see all the winter mank and gloop is setup with Purgatory’s front and rear, which I find a decent compromise.

All are tubeless.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Fast rolling MTB tyres’ is closed to new replies.