Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • fast flat bar for hills and canal towpaths??
  • d4ddydo666
    Free Member

My missus is looking at commuting by bike to work, each way is 8 miles by road or 11 if she goes on the Rochdale canal which has just about every surface you’re likely to find on a towpath.

She’s never really done pedal power before (reformed motorbiker) but she’s pretty fit and flexible. She’s comfortable on my Trailstar though wasn’t very confident on drops when she did try them so I think starting out on flatbars makes sense

Would need to be spritely enough that it won’t hold her back on the hills as she’s also keen to join me in the High Peaks of an evening and wants to ride the C2C.

Currently tempted by the Orange Express-O S (anyone know the tyre clearance? Looks a little tight), Boardman Hybrid Pro, Decade Tripster ACE and Planet X XLA flat bar . Any thoughts on these or suggestions for alternatives?

I don’t think there’ll be owt worth buying for less than £800 for such a workhorse but it seems silly to spend more than £1200 for a first bike too so that;s the range I’m looking at currently…

Northwind

I have a Boardman hybrid, an older model Pro. Nice handling, comfy but quick. Space in the frame for 35c tyres and mudguards, just, which is pretty good going and really useful for the canal. Arguably a wee bit of a harsh ride, but not so much as to be a problem. Really impressed.

kcal

Cotic – Road Rat or Escapade, might need to go s/h though.

philjunior
    Free Member

Something with space for big tyres whatever you do, and/or consider getting suspension forks (not sure what’s available these days.

mattyfez

Was going to suggest looking at XC style hardtails

Some reviews

d4ddydo666
    Free Member

Northwind – good to know, ta.

kcal – can’t believe that didn’t occur to me! bloody gorgeous creatures so they are <3 I have a Croix de Fer though which I butchered to build something lighter coz although it was lovely on the rough it was a pig to get up over Goyt Valley! Is the roadrat much lighter?

Philjunior & mattyfez – I think as light as possible is the way to go. she’s a tattoist so there’s no way I can convince her to hit the trails with me or else that would totes be my plan 😀 (broken wrists = no income!) I ride her commute a lot on my Dirty Disco and formerly on the CdF and it is/was fine n dandy.

mattyfez

Just thinking you’d get a lot more for your money with a rockrider or voodoo, wider tyres by default so will grip better on the few off camber cobbles and uneven bits, especially going through the tunnels.. Plus if she ever had the inclination, she could do some rougher stuff.

I have an issue with hybrids in that they are far too expensive for what they are, and too limited as to what they can do.

A hard tail is a hybrid as far as I’m concerned, actual hybrids are just needlessly expensive commuter bikes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘fast flat bar for hills and canal towpaths??’ is closed to new replies.