Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Farcetrackworld – escaped rabbit (not ours) – any tips?
  • dannyh
    Free Member

In typical farcical fashion we have managed to lose our neighbour’s pet rabbit. I seem to recall that every single sitcom of the last 30 years had at least one episode where a pet goes missing and hilarity ensues – so I am expecting plenty of youtube links to those.

The basic scenario is that the high winds last night lifted the lid of the cage enough to roll the rock that was on top off and allow the rabbit out. This was only noticed when my Mum and my daughter (she is looking after her for the day) went round to feed the rabbit this morning. My wife then calls me at work ‘because she has to tell someone’ and also says that I am now expected to play Elmer Fudd this evening and try to find the damn thing.

My gut instinct is that we ain’t gonna find the fugitive – and if we do it will likely to be whatever bits the local foxes didn’t fancy. But on the off chance that it is still alive, can I expect to find it cowering nearby, or do ‘domesticated’ rabbits give in to instinct and wander off?

I’m sure someone out in STW-land will have been in this situation – so did anyone manage to get the pesky wabbit back?

I will accept a modicum of piss-taking.

marcus7
    Free Member

Don’t call the RSPCA they’ll have you in court in a jiffy… 😀

wwaswas

leaflet local houses if it’s a fairly urban area;

then scour the local petshops for a looky-likey.

njee20
    Free Member

I’m fairly sure that Elmer Fudd had little intention of capturing the ‘wabbit’ to return it safely to its cage, then back to its rightful owner.

Just saying…

PiknMix
    Free Member

When my sisters rabbit got out it was eaten by dogs YMMV.
    Pets at home have a good range, can you remember what colour it is?

njee20
    Free Member

If not just paint one.

tthew

Can relate to this. Toby went missing last Thursday night, gate not opened and no eveidence of a fight in the garden.

He’s gone walkabout a few times in the past OP, and came back, so all is not lost!

dannyh
    Free Member

“I’m fairly sure that Elmer Fudd had little intention of capturing the ‘wabbit’ to return it safely to its cage, then back to its rightful owner.

Just saying… “

Wouldn’t have made for such good cartoon action, though, would it?

I haven’t even seen the damned thing, so no idea for a ‘colour-match’. Then there is the obvious issue when ‘Tommy’ produces five baby rabbits in a remarkable twist…………..

Drac

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeRMOOg9ztw[/video]

smudge
    Free Member

We had a pet rabbit donkeys years ago and that got out many times.. each time he came back.
    Just leave the cage open and put some of their usual food in it and you’ll see him back in it fairly soon *hopefully*

spectabilis
    Free Member

We have rabbits sometimes they are left out over night hutch accidentally left open and the things are still around in the morning… Our garden is secure and familiar to them so not sure escape is on their minds.

Anyway I’d check for possible escape routes into neighbours gardens etc if there are plenty of ways out you’ll be lucky to see it again (although I did catch one of ours nonchalantly sitting on the grass across the close once)

Chuck some food down and wait if it appears then block off the exit route and run round like a dick trying to catch the bugger they can really quick! a landing net has helped me in the past…
    Failing that consult the book of armaments.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOrgLj9lOwk&app=desktop[/video]

njee20
    Free Member

Can’t actually watch that Family Guy clip at work, but properly LOL’d recalling it.

dannyh
    Free Member

Our gardens back onto fields – so I think the chances of seeing the little critter again are virtually nil.

I’ll just have to have a good look around tonight when I get home from work and see if I can find any trace.

Or get camo’d up and stake out the hutch from a hiding place nearby.

apj
    Free Member

Local animal rescue charities / RSPCA may be able to lend you a trap-cage.

rogermoore

Get the wheels of social media turning!
    #prayfordannyhsneighboursrabbit
    RM.

TPTcruiser

You sure the wabbit wasn’t taken on purpose by a military research group?

Doesn’t end well for the bunny.

kayak23

Get them a cat. Everyone likes an upgrade.

dannyh
    Free Member

Bloody hell.

The rabbit has been found and reincarcerated.

My missus nipped home in her lunch break and scoured the gardens nearby with the owners’ permission. She found the rabbit and managed to catch it using one of the kids rockpooling nets (only about 10 inches across).

Apparently the neighbours said “oh has that rabbit got out again”…..

So I suspect the situation might not have been as bad as it could have been.

Apparently I am on DIY duty tonight to make the cage into a bunny Alcatraz. It wasn’t due to the wind, the rabbit had chewed through a previously repaired hole and got out.

marky29er
    Free Member

Need pictures of the little tinker please!

Drac

PiknMix
    Free Member

Apparently I am on DIY duty tonight to make the cage into a bunny Alcatraz.

Buy a big paddling pool, fill with water and plonk hutch in the middle.
    Job done.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Sir Dannyh soiling his armor again, and Tim’s loud scoffing, the knights attack in force. But the rabbit injures several of the knights and kills Gawain and Ector with ease. The knights themselves have no hope of killing or injuring the rabbit. Arthur panics and shouts for the knights to retreat. Knowing they cannot risk attacking again, they try to figure out another way to defeat the beast. Call forth the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch!

andytherocketeer

It wasn’t due to the wind, the rabbit had chewed through a previously repaired hole and got out.

Sounds like one of our guinea pigs as a kid.

Alcatrazzed that cage, cos it kept fighting the others, and the thing still managed to eat its way out, eat its way in to the next cage, overnight, and that’s when we found out that the 3 females that we bought erm weren’t 😉

nick1962
    Free Member

My brother took the much loved school rabbit home for the weekend so his two kids could look after it.It died.Returning the cage and ex rabbit on Monday morning with two teary eyed youngsters was awkward but not as awkward as school assembly when half the school broke down in tears on hearing the news.
    No use to you whatsoever but there’s always someone worse off.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Farcetrackworld – escaped rabbit (not ours) – any tips?’ is closed to new replies.