Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fantastic Mr Fox – too old/scary for a 5 year old?
  • geoffj

My son wants to go and we want to take him, but its a PG rather than a U – am I going to scar him for life with it?

shoei
    Free Member

my 2 went the other day to see, lad is 7 and little girl is 5. She found a few bits scary but my lad enjoyed.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

We have this as a go to see soon 🙂 My two (6 & 8) love the book & cd … I have no idea how many times I have played it in the car but it is a lot

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

oh 8 ) looks like 8) if together.

Despite the odds I have learnt something today 🙂

geoffj

have no idea how many times I have played it in the car but it is a lot

Is that the free one out of the paper? It's been on constantly since we got it. I think it's great. There is a little darkness to Roald Dahl's stuff which makes a great change from the usual Charile & Lola / Fireman Sam DVDs

Mrs J got a load of old Bagpuss, Tom & Jerry and Tots TV videos from the charity shop – much better than the modern stuff. The bagpuss chocolate biscuit machine episode is excellent. 😆

grievoustim
    Free Member

my five year old was fine – but he has been led astray by older sisters and has seen harry potters/ LOTR/ Ghostbusters etc 😳

kelvin

Looking forward to it.

Oh, how dark was "UP!" in places?!

flip
    Free Member

Just been to see it, my 7yr old son was fine.

I on the other hand fell asleep….again 😳

matt_outandabout

our 7,6 and 4 year olds went on Saturday with mrs_oab. It was fine, probably helped as we had all read the book the week before for bedtime story.

stumpyjon

Been this afternoon with my five year old, hadn't realised it was a PG 😳 but she was fine and she's a bit sensitive sometimes.

the-muffin-man

We've just been this afternoon and there's nothing really scary that I can think of.

Wish we'd gone to see UP though as I was a bit disappointed with the film. The bar on kids films has been set very high in recent years and I didn't think this quite cut it. And George Clooney's voiceover was a bit bland and IMO meant the main character lacked 'er "character"!

A 5 year old won't notice this – but my 7 year old girl who loves all things Roald Dahl wasn't overly impressed with it though!

MikeT-23
    Free Member

I took my five year-old daughter to see it on Sunday morning there.

She really enjoyed it, and I bought the soundtrack yesterday before picking her up from school and we listened to it all last night and this morning after breakfast.
    She could remember which tracks corresponded with which scenes in the film (I was amazed), and asked me to leave the room so she could dance to some tracks without being self-conscious.
    She also asked a lot of questions throughout the film, and again during the songs, about characters/plot and so on.

As for being scared – nah. She wasn't at all. Like a poster above, she's come through the Dr. Who/Harry Potter experiences and so on with little problem. I don't think this film will be scary for geoffj's wean.

For adults – I fekn loved it! It was a piece of craftsmanship, and dark enough to keep me interested. Humourous too – I think I was laughing the most out of the whole audience, but maybe I'm just "different", to quote the script – a strange 'cusser'.
    I think if mum/dad is laughing/enjoying a film, it puts the child more at ease and could remove some of the fear for them.

In short, I'd recommend it.

Hope you agree, but make the choice you feel right with.

MT

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fantastic Mr Fox – too old/scary for a 5 year old?’ is closed to new replies.