Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Famous Synth Sounds
  • theflatboy
    Free Member

Don't ask how i just came across this, but I have just wasted about half an hour listening to each and every one of these classic synth sounds.

entertaining stuff*, particularly in recognising where they were (over)used.

*may be subjective.

🙂

edit, and of course in the wrong forum 😳

grumm
    Free Member

Haha nice – might dig out my synth and have a little play around recreating some of these. 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

hehe, exactly – this is even better!

theflatboy
    Free Member
    kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

theflatboy,

That first site is the "tits" would love some on my phone, can't right click em and save, anyone got any ideas ?

Cheers :mrgreen:

grantway
    Free Member

I had a Korg MS 20 and the drummer was a Tape machine in the 80's

theflatboy
    Free Member

kkf – i did a rightclick, save as on a few of the links from the first page, seemed to work ok.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Sheesh!! they hold their value better than bicycles! I so wanted a blue one . . . still do. Actually weren't they about £300 new bitd? 😯

Wish I'd never sold my DX21 (actually swapped it for a Casio CZ3000 – still have it in my living room but haven't touched it for years . . . probably since discovering bikes in 1992 😉 ).

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Cheers TFB,

It was me being a "flid" sorted it now, all on my phone and my misses is well harassed :mrgreen:

RichPenny
    Free Member

£1k for an SH101, jesus. I remember well the period when a 303 went from being worth £100 to about £1k in 6 months.

trailmonkey

I had a 101, some great bass sounds and great fun to tweak but hard to get a perfect pitch using a midi/cv convertor.

Suprised no one has mentioned the RB303 yet, surely the most influential synth ever. It virtually inspired the last 20 years of music to happen.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Ahem. TB-303 😉

And the most influential synth ever? MiniMoog?

mboy
    Free Member

£1k for an SH101, jesus. I remember well the period when a 303 went from being worth £100 to about £1k in 6 months.

That's the problem with the Music Industry Rich, the moment an "Industry Standard" ceases to be produced, it sends the market prices sky high, and even more so if nothing else has come out to replace it! Check out the silly prices that Yamaha NS-10's go for these days, compared to when they were new.

If you've got an iPhone, download the "IR-909" application and have a play… It's only £2.99 (or it was, might be free now), but it's got a 303, 606, 808 and a 909 (as well as some other newer synths) built in to play with on your iPhone… HOW COOL!!!

Or if you can find a copy of ReBirth by Propellerheads (software company not band) then have a play with it on the PC… Alternatively, most software sequencers have got all the legendary sounds built in now anyway, though it's not as cool as playing with the old school hardware I suppose.

mboy
    Free Member

but seriously, this – is unbelievable, ignore all links above and go straight for this one!

Fair play theflatboy, that is something else! Well, for a web application anyway… Could probably waste hours of my life messing with that as I did when I had my first go on ReBirth years ago!

RichPenny
    Free Member

On a related note, I have this Aphex Twin picture disc:

Should stick it an the wall really 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

Watch this MiniMoog demo…

WOW! Have never come across one before, have heard all about them, but never realised just how powerful it was/is and how early (1971) they were introduced!

Powerful stuff…

sodafarls
    Free Member

Anyone interested in purchasing a Moog Prodigy?

trailmonkey

And the most influential synth ever? MiniMoog?

Good shout but I'm not sure that it so obviously spawned an entire genre like the (cough)TB 303 did.

Can I give a shout out for the Juno 106.

theflatboy
    Free Member

RichPenny – Member

Ahem. TB-303

everybody needs a 303 🙂

grantway
    Free Member

Minin Moog mainly used for the Funk Jazz and Jazz Fusion music musicians

RichPenny
    Free Member

I think (and could be wrong) the thing about the MiniMoog was that at the time, proper synths were the size of a welsh dresser, and cost as much as a car. The MiniMoog was small and cheap(er) so made it possible for that sort of sound to be a part of loads more music. Similar to the Akai S1000 for sampling.

Synth Museum

julianwilson
    Free Member

Nothing much synthy to contribute, but this may be my favourite thread ever on here! 😀 😀 😀

Time to 'dust off' the vocoder emulator and make some silly answerphone greetings methinks…

simonralli2
    Free Member

I thought they may have also mentioned the sound on Art of Noise "Moments in Love"? I had a Casio CZ3000 (may have got that wrong), a much more organic sound compared to the Yamaha DX7.

Am currently playing a Roland Groovekeyboard

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

this may be my favourite thread ever on here! 😀

Ha ha, I never realised STW was so full of synth fans

Now you can guess where my user name comes from

🙂

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Has anyone heard of the Vince Clarke 'Lucky Bastard' collection – a whole 120mins of his favourite patches

Check out this Pro One demo

[audio src="http://www.unease.se/mp3/Unease-ProOne_Bass_Demo.mp3" /]

Vince used just a Pro One to record Yazoo early stuff including Only You and Don't Go

And did anyone catch the 'Synth Britania' doc on BBC4 a couple of weeks back?

grantway
    Free Member

Anolouge Andy Dont forget Vince used the BBC computer with that too.

sc-xc

I had an SH101 (didnt have the guitar neck controller though). I swapped it for a quarter of blow 🙁

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Dont forget Vince used the BBC computer with that too.

/dons anorak

He used an MC4 (in fact two) with the Pro One

Later the Fairlight

He only got the BBC B and UMI sequencing hardware / software in 1984 after he'd given up with the Fairlight.

Would you believe I've got one of his old ones (and his studio monitors from that time – a pair of David 9000s).

Anyone you recognise? (I'm the one at the back)

grantway
    Free Member

Nice one Analogue we must have some where bumped into each other some
    time ago.
    Your face is rining bells.
    What was that crap rock n roll band Depechemode had as support band
    when they done a gig in Basildon?
    My group got no where I had basicaly the same voice has Dave Gahan
    But I make very nice bespoke furntiure.

grantway
    Free Member

The most famous synth sounds must be Kraftwerk from the
    Computer World Album.
    Clearly pushed the Boundaries more than any other the synth group
    of there time.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Good captain

Can't believe you didn't reference this seminal video 🙂

http://www.youtube.com/user/simonralli#p/u/42/34GWMCu3uws

grantway
    Free Member

Nice clip Simon Ralli 😉

MrNutt
    Free Member

mm liking theflatboy"s link, whats a 303 worth nowadays?

grantway
    Free Member

Have seen a MC 202 on Gum Tree in very good nick for £ 450.00p ONO
    Plenty of old synths on there.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Picture from my old flat in the early-mid 90's. I had an MS-10 and used to spend hours trying to patch a sound from the Korg and then feed it into my Akai. All I could usually get was a wet fart! Unless you were Eno you had no chance!

My favourate synth was the M1, although digital, had fabulous warm string sounds and the greatest house music piano sound around.

Does anyone remember 'THE KIT'? Its in the pic top right. An old CV gate analogue drum machine? Brilliant sound. No point really buying the synths now, you might as well buy a decent loaded pc and use the virtual synths. I had an early Novation Basstation and could not believe how well the software version matched it.

grantway
    Free Member

Nice set up rumbledethumps I had the Korg MS20.
    Regarding drum machines We used to pay a shop just off of
    Charing Cross Rd near Centre Point They just got in what was then the
    new Lynn drum machine cost us £ 10 quid for for four tracks on a TDK tape
    Bargin really.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Linn Electronics. Great kit Grantway. I bet you wished you still had the MS-20 still now eh! I also had a shed load of FM synth stuff, Roland D50,D20 CZ101 really really overrated IMO. Secretly though I always wanted a Juno 60 or a Roland JD800 which evaded me over the years. These days I can't listen to most of the new electronica. It's just souless synth preset shite.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I had a Juno 60 🙂 JD800 wasn't all that though IMO. The synth I remember being really special was the Waldorf Wave. For a start, it was **** immense. Also looked and sounded incredible. I don't think they made many, and the one I tested wasn't mine. For my sins, I worked for Turnkey service department so got to see lots of nice stuff on a regular basis. The synth museum was nuts! As was the guy who looked after it, incidentally.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

mmmmmmmmmm……Did your pinkys ever comb over a sequential circuits pro one? Now there was a beast!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Famous Synth Sounds’ is closed to new replies.