Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • faced with the eternal dilemma (cream tea content)
  • rOcKeTdOg

Jam first and then cream, or vice versa?

disco_stu
    Free Member

cream then jam

sofatester
    Free Member

Cream then jam for god* sakes man! Have you no self respect?

*God if you’re that way inclined

RealMan
    Free Member

There was a thread about this a while ago.

Jam on top is to hide inferior cream.

Personally I spread one with cream, the other with jam, and then put them together, and who cares which way.

But if you're having it with tea there's no hope for you at all. Hot chocolate is where its at.

nickc

Dare you…

stuff the scone in whole, chew for a bit to make some space, then spoon in all of the Jam followed very quickly by all the cream.

I'll give you 50p

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Send it all to me express delivery. I will conduct a trial to determine the best method.

All for a minimal fee.

rOcKeTdOg

I know there are rules for devon and cornish cream teas but I'm in Dorset

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I'd advise the niche half and half, left to right harlequin method of jam/cream and cream/jam.

njee20
    Free Member

Cream first. Do you put jam on toast before butter?

ex-pat
    Free Member

Heh, me, I slide cream on one side scraping it off the knife, then jam on another. Think trowel and cement in terms of proportions…
    That way I'm not squashing the cream out of the way with the jam knife.

Drac

Each guest should have a small side plate, a knife and teaspoon. For traditionalists, there's only one way to eat a cream tea, and that's jam first, followed by cream.

Even the etiquette experts at Debrett's agree: you cut the scone in half, spread the jam on first and top with cream. Serve with a pot of freshly brewed tea.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-1290073/How–Serve-perfect-cream-tea.html#ixzz0utPAf7sY

http://www.debretts.com/etiquette/british-behaviour/t-to-z/tea.aspx

molgrips
    Free Member

Try golden syrup and cream.. It's looooverly.

darrenm
    Free Member

thunder and lightning that be molgrips, best on fresh thick white bread.

Devon – Cream then jam
    Cornwall – Jam then cream

My wife insists butter, jam then cream.

stumpy01

I've always done jam then cream…..

I might try it the other way next time and see what happens!

Del

Even the etiquette experts at Debrett's agree: you cut the scone in half, spread the jam on first and top with cream.

the ne'er do wells at Debrett's clearly couldn't etiquette their way out of paper bag, if they're going the way of the six fingered and web toed.
    don't think i need state my opinion of the daily wail.

cream then jam, and never, ever, a sandwich. bloody philistines.

stumpy01

I find with the cream then jam method (I just had a recollection) that the cream isn't thick enough to withstand the shear loads when you try to spread the jam on top of it and it smears badly or even comes off the scone with the jam-loaded knife…..

With jam first, the application of the cream on top doesn't seem to affect the jam as badly and it stays put.

Perhaps I am using the wrong utensil. Should i be using a spoon to splodge & smear, rather than spread??

rkk01
    Free Member

Jam first.

Cream gets dolloped on after with a teaspoon.

Can't believe there are folks that would suggest otherwise. How the hell do you get jam to spread out on top of the cream – unless you're some sort of skinny latte freak who doesn't put enough cream on.

By estimate rather than measuremetn (that would be too anal…), you should be looking at quarter to half inch of jam, with a good inch of cream on top. I'd challenge anyone to get the jam to spread over anything like an acceptable amount of cream.

I guess they must be tight in Devon – the phrase used by my old Cornish farming relatives comes to mind "tight as a duck's arse"

… and yes – Golden Syrup is loverly with clotted cream on top

MrNutt
    Free Member

I think you'll find that the "dorset method" is actually a cornish trick to repel potential invaders

johnners
    Free Member

Hot chocolate is where its at.

You utter cad.

How the hell do you get jam to spread out on top of the cream

Use Rodda's!

convert

Butter, jam, cream, fart attack. In that order.

st

I apreciate the difference between the Cornish and Devon methods but as I'm a spreader (with a knife) rather than a scooper (with a spoon) I go cream then jam as spreading proper clotted cream on jam is a recipe for disaster.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Devon – Cream then jam
    Cornwall – Jam then cream

Everyone from Devon knows them Cornish is all inbred and don't know nothing. 😀

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

From a Dorset perspective, i just stuff it all in any old order. Get it down yer neck and stop faffing about with it.

knottie8
    Free Member

not too much cream as im on a diet.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘faced with the eternal dilemma (cream tea content)’ is closed to new replies.