Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Exposure Flash & Flare
  • organic355
    Free Member

I am going to get some of these new "commuter" lights, but should I get the Li-ion disposable batteries or rechargeable battery pack option?

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/25670/USE-Exposure-Flash—Flare-Twin-Lights-Set-2011.html

STATO
    Free Member

This was discussed in the 'rear lights' thread the other week. The batteries are quite expensive so the rechargeable is really the only way to go, unless you can aquire batteries cheaper somehow.

joemarshall
    Free Member

at £8 per battery, for 10 hours of light, you'd be crazy to use disposable batteries. 80p an hour!

Although the 4 hour runtime of the rechargeable one makes them pretty useless as a commuter light unless you're organised enough to charge them most days. I would make sure you get a decent cateye or similar 100+ hour runtime light as a backup.

Joe

organic355
    Free Member

I would make sure you get a decent cateye or similar 100+ hour runtime light as a backup.

Ive got a joystick, but wanted to stick that on my lid, with the flash and flare on the bike.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I'd personally go for a Smart 1/2 Superwatt jobbie – the Flare looks nice and I like the rubber mounting gubbins but £85 pushes it way outta my league for commute lights

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Bit bloody expensive aren't they? I mean you can get a decent set of commuting lights for £30-40 or so, add in a battery charger and we're still talking less than £60 all in.

organic355
    Free Member

anyone got a set of these yet?

timbur
    Free Member

Have you got a MaXx 2 Joystick? If so get the Redeye with the short cable and put it on your helmet. One charger at work and one at home.

Job done.

If not then I’d just get the Flare with a charger. It’s bloody bright and nicely made to boot,

JonEdwards
    Free Member

The vfm issue depends whether they’re properly waterproof or not.

If they are, then they’ll be worth the cash as I won’t be buying a new light every 6-9 months because the old one has died.

Cateyes are horrendous for this – also develop dry joints so they turn off when you go over a bump. Smarts are better, but still fill up with water. Knog not great either.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Had my Cateye LD 610 (I think) for two years without it missing a beat – super bright and lasts ages on the AAA batteries. I often ride in very heavy rain and spray the bike off after each ride – never avoid the light so it gets sprayed too.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Between me and the missus, we’ve got through about 1/2 a dozen LD600s and 610s. They’ve all failed in the same ways – water ingress and/or shock damage. A shame as they are bloody bright when new.

We’re both using Smarts at the mo. Hers has been trouble free until a battery spaffed inside it. Mine has filled up with water a few times, but has been OK once dried out.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

theres no way waters getting into the flare, seriously! used in anger in mud/wet already and its still flashing away….i read somewhere in a review that it can be sugmerged in a pint pot (yes full) and was still flashing away left for 10mintues….

its so powerful for the size and a little delight, one of my best buys in a while…and as above no need to keep buying new ones every 6 months due to water leak…..time will tell of course but i think its a cracking little thing! it looks so well made too!

organic355
    Free Member

I do already have a joystick, but find turning on the Smart port a bit faffy. I was thinking I would stick the joystick on my helmet and get the flare for the back and the flash for the bars, also quite fancy a maxX-D, so maybe I shouldnt bother with the flash and save up for that for the front?

rkk01
    Free Member

Are these things available anywhere yet?

organic355
    Free Member

I think evans has them

EDIT: they did yesterday, looks like they are out of stock now 🙁

njee20
    Free Member

Beyond Mountain Bikes near Guildford have them, 01483 267676

timbur
    Free Member

Yeap, it is a faff but if your commuting with it then all you have to do is get it going before putting your helmet on and turn it off when you get home/to the office!

But I know what you mean.

Tim

Oh, the MaXx D is ace as well. I’ve got a Diablo for annoying motorist on my commute!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Exposure Flash & Flare’ is closed to new replies.