Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Expensive bikes – how much difference does it make?
  • maxtorque

So what you’re saying is that i can’t ride for toffee then?

tomhoward

tpbiker
    Free Member

I think the biggest difference is that if you have unlimited budget you can get the exacct bike you want with few commpromises. Would I spend 3k on a bronson frame, probably not as for me it doesn’ offer me anything I particularly want that I couldn’t get for far less.

But if you do want something very specific then you may have to be prepared to pay for it. My Yeti cost quite a bit, but I bought it as its exactly what I wanted a short travel full susser to be, and I couldn’t find anything similar for less. Its ideal for me so worth spending the cash on, but that doesn’t mean its ‘better’ than something half the price for someone else.

As for the bits that hang off it..Well Its not a particularly bling build as I honestly don’t think that I’d notice the benefits of xtr over xt, better dampened forks etc etc..the bits I do notice I haven’t compromised on however, ie dropper, brakes, tyres etc etc.

I do get the impression that when you get in to the relms of carbon everything 8k bikes it does become a bit of a vanity project, ie you want the very best even though you probably know it’ll not benefit you one bit.

that said, I have a 5k bike and I’m by no means rich, so if you can afford such luxury good on you, I know if could I’d probably do the same.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I can imagine expensive bikes are nice to own, if you’re into that sort of thing. But, bikes are just a tool for a job, as long as they perform their job properly then the cheaper the better really. And it’s no good just having the correct tool for the job, you’ve got to know how to use it properly aswell; yesterday was a prime example……

Went out for a quick fifty miles and about 15 miles in spotted a couple of chaps up ahead who looked a bit “dubious”. You know the sort, shaved legs (one of them had a calf tattoo FFS), socks pulled up like Brad Wiggins, knees sticking out all over the place. Anyway, caught them up on a gradual drag and complemented one of them on his steed, then told him he’d be better off on some shallower wheels as deep sections only really make any sense if you ride at 20mph or more. He just said “wait till I get on the flat” but TBH, I couldn’t be bothered waiting, just put the hammer down.

Turned off a few miles later to catch my breath and have a tab; they must’ve gone past as I saw them a bit later on, on the flat. And you guessed it, still going reasonably slow.

So, to summarise: expensive bikes are great, although they won’t make you a better rider. However, some people who own expensive bikes seem to live in a dream world……

Picture the scene ;campsite in Les Gets, a mixed group (male/female) all with fancy bikes.

One of them started explaining to me how experienced they were at mountain biking, obv’s trying to alpha male it up in front of his female companions (On a tangent, one of his quotes was “there’s nothing quite like seeing the sun set over Mount Everest” – so you get the picture, this guy is a bit of a berk.)

Anyway, saw them the next day, one of them getting carted off the hill after stacking it on a double on a Blue run…..

The moral of that story is: don’t act like a big man in the safety of the campsite, when you can’t act like a big man out on the trail where it counts. Not sure whether that’s got anything to do with expesnive bikes mind you.

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Expensive bikes – how much difference does it make?’ is closed to new replies.