Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Exmoor next week – what must do descent?
  • twang
    Free Member

Camping with the family so probably only get 1 ride in. Would like to find at least one cracking descent and plan a ride around that. I have the VP guide book and map.
    Any pointers?

Cheers 🙂

starrman82
    Free Member

Hawk Combe and anywhere along that valley & along the ridge is good, just be careful of walkers near bottom. Granny’s ride also very good. There’s a nice one into Porlock Weir as well. We were there three weeks ago, excellent riding but very wet. 🙂

snaps
    Free Member

When are you down & where are you staying?

twang
    Free Member

cheers starrman will check those on me map.
    Camping near Lynton snaps but dont mind a little drive closer to the good stuff. Horner woods is on the radar, worth exploring or is local knowledge an essential?

hugor
    Free Member

I did an MBR route of the Brendan Hills last weekend.
    Stunning ride with at least 3 or 4 quality descents.
    One of those was Granny’s ride.
    You can download the route here
    I totally recommend it but bring your climbing legs too!
    The scenery was stunning!

snaps
    Free Member

Horner woods has loads of ways down & the rooty ones are tricky when wet – local knowledge is a must to get the best out of the area – I’m up there most weeks if its not raining, happy to show you round.

twang
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer snaps, looking at the forecast though, I guess you’ll be absent next week 😕
    Should I be ignoring Dunkery hill?
    Cheers

Bernaard
    Free Member

Snaps, any chance of a re run of that route we did a couple of years back with the descent into Minehead from Selworthy Beacon?

pete68
    Free Member

For me I’d say the run down from Dunkery Beacon to Brockwell. Long and rocky,just mind the walkers on the top section.

snaps
    Free Member

Twang – Wednesday looks OK, best of the week
    Bern – yes sure, are you down for the EE? didn’t see a post about it on MTBB

twang
    Free Member

Cheers Pete68, that looks like it might form part of a decent loop. Wheres this Grannys ride then? I’m guessing its better than it sounds… 🙂

hugor
    Free Member

the descent into Minehead from Selworthy Beacon?

Thats the last 7 or 8 kms of the route link I posted above.
    Its a quality descent.

starrman82
    Free Member

Granny’s is in Horner Wood, sort of between Flora’s and the decent to Horner Farm. If you head that way you will see signs but i’ve not seen it on an OS map.
    BTW i dislocated my shoulder last time i rode it, got in wrong line near the bottom… 😯

twang
    Free Member

Brilliant cheers starrman… [avoid wrong line at bottom] – noted 🙂

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

+1 for Horner Woods.

Selworthy to Bossington also well worth it but bit sketchy in wet.

knottie8
    Free Member

Dunkery-stoke pero church- horner tea garden. or dunkery to brockwell.
    webbers post to horner via tuckers

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

And add in Grabbist Hill too.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

North off Dunkery Beacon, sort of what Knottie says, but I’d turn east onto Dicky’s Path (which you can see on the OS map), down to Webbers Pst – then either Dunster Path to Brockwell or down through Horner Woods if you know how to find the good stuff there. If you dont, head north from Webbers towards Horner Farm and you wont go far wrong.

Hawkcombe is good, but hits tarmac disappointingly early, if you ride that I’d suggest climbing back up when you reach Shillets Combe and riding along the balcony to the north. Lots of good options down to Porlock or Porlock Weir if you do that.

Must be pretty damp at the moment though…

bobsoff2
    Free Member

agent…
    Will let you know tomorrow after The Explorer, MudX’s have been fitted. 😕

Pooley
    Free Member

A crowd of us rode Selworthy/Bossington/Hurlstone thurs night after heavy rain, was wet sure, but not boggy. I had RRs no problems, not gonna change ’em for tomorrow either.

Bernaard
    Free Member

Snaps, not doing EE this year due to work 🙁
    Would you be happy showing me and a couple of lads from my club?
    I’ll be in touch re some dates, cheers

twang
    Free Member

Nice one agent,
    A run down from Dunkery Beacon it is, hang a right down Dickies to Webbers post, head north and look for good stuff – sorted… now how the eckypeck do I get back up to DB??? up the valley (Horner Water) to Stoke Pero? or round and up Flora’s?
    Looks like a muddy one whatever… 😀

Cheers all

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Exmoor next week – what must do descent?’ is closed to new replies.