Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 121 total)
  • Ex drug cheats going to the olympics.
  • donsimon
    Free Member

BBC Breaking News ? @BBCBreaking

Cerrar

British Olympic Association loses hearing meaning ex drugs cheats will be eligible for selection at London 2012, BBC understands. More soon
    Good luck to them.

Coyote
    Free Member

“Ex” drug cheats?

No “ex” about it.

donsimon
    Free Member

I gave up smoking 10 years ago.
    Am I…
    a) a non smoker?
    b) an ex smoker?
    c) a smoker?
    I’m genuinely interested.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

They have the Olympics and para Olympics, they should also hold a drug cheats Olympics, just imagine the analysis of the athletes performance 😆

iDave
    Free Member

seems unfair that they have to compete against current drug cheats

Coyote
    Free Member

@don simon.

You were involved in a legal activity that didn’t enhance your performance to the detriment of non-smokers. Neither did it potentially prevent non-smokers from getting ahead in their career.

I’m an ex-smoker too. 7 years now and feeling the benefits. How about you? 🙂

aa
    Free Member

if he’s an ex drug cheat, that’s a guarentee he’s clean.

Fair play to him, he’s served his sentance,now let him get on with it.

That go’s for millar too

Rochey
    Free Member

Bring on Dave Miller…….

hilldodger
    Free Member

served their ban, letting them try to show they can do it “clean” is the right verdict IMO

donsimon
    Free Member

@ Coyote
    I consider myself a non smoker.
    I used to smoke, I don’t now.
    Much the same as Millar (other reformed cheats are available), he used to cheat, he got caught and now, to the best of my knowledge, doesn’t cheat. He is therefore clean and should be allowed to compete.

I feel privileged in the fact I know that I’ll never smoke again which is more than someone who’s never smoked can say (there must be an element of curiosity on their part).

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Good luck to them indeed. Sentence served and they should be free to compete in all events.

higgo
    Free Member

I have no issue with the ruling, seems logical.

If they’re available for selection now, they should be in or out based on form not history.

I don’t imagine Chambers will be troubling the podium. I don’t know enough about the road cycling – will Millar be going for the win himself or working for Cavendish?

Coyote
    Free Member

@don simon

Good point well made.

Shall we agree to differ?

donsimon
    Free Member

Shall we agree to differ?

Sounds good to me. 😀

Pigface
    Free Member

How much punishment do you doll out. Good luck to them.

anagallis_arvensis

I don’t imagine Chambers will be troubling the podium. I don’t know enough about the road cycling – will Millar be going for the win himself or wrking for Cavendish?

Was the road captain in the world champs when no radios were allowed so is key to Cav. I believe the olympics will have no radios too.

chewkw
    Free Member

LOL! Only the fools get caught. The best one never and he should fire all his supporting staff for letting him caught.

It’s not a matter of who is cheating but actually who can cheat better.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Surely it depends who it is .. and this has been debated loads on STW before. Millar was a cheat who admitted it the minute he was caught, apologised and has done a lot working with drugs bodies and educating people about drugs in sport, he’s been very honest when asked “if you hadn’t have been caught would you still be doing drugs?” … he replied “I’d like to say no but probably the honest answer I guess is yes” (my words paraphrased). Unlike Dwain Chambers a drugs cheat who claimed he was innocent …… then eventually disappears quietly into a corner to serve his ban, along with people like Marion Jones.

someone has mentioned about people serving their ban and accepting they are claim … ahem ..Ricardo Ricco?? Okay that is an extreme tragic tragic story but look at the pressure on these pro’s, if you’ve read Millar’s book it all becomes clear. I used to have a firm view on drugs cheats, get out of the sport never to return, I used to detest Millar and every time I saw him on my TV I would shout at him, read his book and it has educated me (along with other reading) and I feel quite differently about it all now. Chambers still shouldn’t be allowed to race and ti’s clear Millar only wants to race to support Cav there is no way he wants to race to win himself.

however no 2nd chances, caught again boom dont’ pass go, do not compete in any sport ever again.

neninja
    Free Member

I’d support a life ban for the Olympics if it was applied worldwide. As usual GB adopted something that disadvantages us against the rest of the world. On that basis, it should be scrapped and GB should push the IOC to apply it to the entire Games themselves.

The head of the anti-doping agency reckons 10% of current athletes are cheating so why bother maintaining a ban on the ‘reformed’ athletes.

taxi25
    Free Member

I gave up smoking 10 years ago.
    Am I…
    a) a non smoker?
    b) an ex smoker?
    c) a smoker?
    I’m genuinely interested.

A smoker who is currently not smoking. I gave up over 20yrs ago and thats what I consider myself.

jonba
    Free Member

Millar will be a huge asset to the road team. Brailsford has already said he would select the best team regardless of history so I think he might be in.

He knows his stuff as he’s been in the game a while. He’s also a very talented rider so will be an asset. Not sure how Millar will prioritise it compared to the Tour though, surely lower?

I have respect for Millar as he admitted mistakes and is clearly a reformed character, not so sure about Chambers.

rOcKeTdOg

shame, cheats do prosper it seems

DaveT
    Free Member

Did they know the rules when they decided to cheat? I assume so, so they cheated, got caught and now at least ought to have the balls to accept the penalty

mudshark
    Free Member

Millar is my favourite cyclist, bright guy.

Read his book then judge him.

edhornby

Cav’s chances will be a lot stronger with Millar to marshall the team and sit on the front to chase down

I think 2 years is too short, should be 3 or 4 and the rules should be much less ambiguous but that’s a discussion about the UCI which is a completely different thread

chewkw
    Free Member

I prefer them to repay back the money won if caught then ban them for several years.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

DaveT yes but I think the point is the BOA rules are different from other country governing bodies and that’s the point!

rOcKeTdOg

Read his book then judge him

i think he’s already been judged,result-Ban, but that seems to count for nothing

higgo
    Free Member

i think he’s already been judged,result-Ban, but that seems to count for nothing

They received and served bans from competition.
    The BOA didn’t impose a ban. They have a by-law.

chewkw
    Free Member

They will never get rid of drugs involvement in sport because of the stupid money and all the sponsors.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ban counts for nothing?

Erm…he got a ban…served it…that was nothing?

jonba
    Free Member

result-Ban, but that seems to count for nothing

Well it was actually a two year ban that has now ended…

carbon337
    Free Member

They served their bans, now let them in.

David Millars book is brilliant, hes a really intelligent bloke who is now helping authorities tackle the drug issues.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Genuinely surprised by the support for ‘them’. Understand the differing stance of the BOA but everybody else should be adopting same not the other way round. Bloomin human rights being used again beyond its best and fundamental purposes. They cheated, prospered at the time, stole the chances of others who might have been at their peak and better without cheating and now get to try again. Drugs are not a slight bending of the rules. If Cav gets help off Millar his gold would be forever tainted. Same for any other team events with a drugs cheat. Great that past cheats might be working promoting anti drug stances but that’s only trying to repair some of the damage they’ve done, it in no way earns them the right to be forgiven. Too liberal by half….

donsimon
    Free Member

If Cav gets help off Millar his gold would be forever tainted.

That’s just your opinion, right? Because I see it differently. 😉

higgo
    Free Member

Genuinely surprised by the support for ‘them’…
    … in no way earns them the right to be forgiven.

Forgiven by who?
    It’s not about forgiveness, it’s about the right to compete again once they’ve served their ban.

deepreddave
    Free Member

don simon (ex smoker) – yes but I’ve never been unique in my thought processes. Yet anyway 😉

deepreddave
    Free Member

higgo – legally yes but there’ll be plenty of the public, and many professional athletes, who’ll wonder whether seeing convicted drugs cheats on the Olympic is a good thing for the sport. Forgiven by the public for tainting sport? Forgiven by the athletes they cheated?

A bad ruling generally for sport imho only of course!

donsimon
    Free Member

yes but I’ve never been unique in my thought processes.

Me neither. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘Ex drug cheats going to the olympics.’ is closed to new replies.