• This topic has 204 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hels.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 205 total)
  • EWS, who's excited ?
  • bigjim

yeah not surprised AC doesn’t like it, it is mostly trail centre blue and red, brown trout is pretty much the only non pedalling section.

Northwind

To be fair Anne-Caro’s gripe at Emerald was “I can’t pedal as hard as Tracey” too.

Can’t say I disagree with the sentiment though, when you think how flat the main part of the stage is- you start at 600m, nearly a mile later you’re up dunslair heights at 540m, having not really done much… then at the top of the blue you’re at 460m- and a big chunk of the height is blown on the blue. Stage ends at about 290m.

legend
    Free Member

Actually, I found it more interesting that Remy Absalon was straight in to agree

bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

https://instagram.com/p/3Ox4Qhp10K/?taken-by=remyabsalon
    Absalon and Clements too. It was kind of the feeling I was getting off everyone today too.

I don’t mind pedaling but you can see where they’re coming from, not the greatest advert for tweed trails. Thankfully there are 7 other bangers so i’m sure they’ll get over it.

superfli
    Free Member

Its not just a moan at the stage though, it really really affects the final result.
    A long pedally stage will see gaps of 30s + between top riders. That will demolish any 5s gap gained on the more technical/downhilly trails. Meaning the race as a whole is won on 1 stage.

I understand Enduro is the complete package, but if its looked at as a percentage of time, a stage like they say this is, will make up far more of a percentage of the race than it should.

I know nothing of the trails BTW NW! All the trail names you have given me have gone woosh! I’m just going by what I have read and maybe this stage isnt as bad as some of the pro’s are making out

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Sounds like S6 was designed for T-Mo to take the win I wonder who will come out as the pedal master in the Mens.

Northwind

Sorry dude, I thought you were a local!

I don’t think it’s quite that bad, it could well unbalance the race but it doesn’t follow that whoever wins it, wins. I mostly just don’t like the impression it’ll give of glentress.

(and as Bigjim says, last year’s stage 2 could have been given the same ending with a fireroad link to broon troot, that’d still be a physical stage but much more balanced. Stage 8 is pedally but at least it’s fun.)

Maybe it makes sense in the EWS overall? Like, this race was asked to be pedallier, to offset some mental gnar round? Stage 8 has a bit of a pointless extra pedal too- a flattish descent and a climb to get to where last year’s started. Then again, you could almost ride stage 5 and 7 without a chain

I think they’ve ****ed up, all in all. I’m just not convinced it’s that big a **** up.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

A long pedally stage will see gaps of 30s + between top riders.

I’ll eat my hat if anyone who is in with the remotest chance of a win loses 30 seconds on that stage, they’ll moan (perhaps with good reason as it’s probably not that much fun) but then still be as close as ever. In the men at least, Anne Caro probably has a fair point as Tracy will put chunks of time into her there that will be difficult to make back.

A bit surprising it’s in at all if it is that disliked, Chris Ball surely knows these trails like the back of his hand and also be on top of what makes a good EWS stage, I’m assuming he has input into it rather than just leaving it to the Tweedlove guys? Maybe he’s trying to make a statement that there needs to be more all around ability.

BTW not there myself but know the trails in question well, just interesting to observe the reactions.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I mostly just don’t like the impression it’ll give of glentress.

Though if folk are given a bad impression off the back of 1 bad stage after 3 other good stages this year and 4 last year, more fool them.

bigjim

I guess on one hand enduro needs to be more than a retirement home for downhillers though, and sometimes favour the stronger pedallers.

myopic
    Free Member

I didn’t have a good day. Went to unlock my forks at start of stage 5, and discovered they were unlocked. 🙁 Struggled to move them more than a few cms. Hoping its oil in the air chamber again – will find out tomorrow when I strip them. Struggled to get more than 3 cm of travel on most routes unless a really big hit. As a consequence found it difficult to get any kind of flow or rhythm including a horrible off on a steep bit of stage 5. Landed on a tree stump on the base of my spine. Hobbling around now, hoping it improves! Weather bogging – started 14.30 finished 19.00 ish. Could not get my head round that final drop at the end of stage 8 and too pissed off to work at it. Right, thats the moaning over!
    On the plus side, all trails are good, especially enjoyed stage 7 overall, but all had good if not great bits. Had a really nice chat with Patrick and Ben on the climb from bottom of 7 to start of 8. And as another almost plus, unlikely that Sunday will be as bad for me as today ( forks, back and end of stage 8 permitting).
    Fingers crossed!

rickon
    Free Member

I’ll eat my hat if anyone who is in with the remotest chance of a win loses 30 seconds on that stage

On a 10 minute stage, which isn’t technical and is full of pedalling? Depends on what you’re good at. The better pedallers will have the big advantage on that stage for sure.

Still good fun, but like Jim says, I can’t believe that stage is in and 5 year plan into Deliverance is out. That was an awesome stage.

paddyb
    Free Member

Anyone know why the event village isn’t up and running yet? Last year everything was in full swing on Wednesday morning. Turned up for registration yesterday and there was one solitary tent. Went back today at 4pm and nothing was really open

Its really wierd, its almost like the EWS is next week or something. Race village not set up and no marshalls on any stages after two days of official practice.
    I have come straight from the Irish round which had the village fully set up, water stations on transitions and was fully marshalled for practice.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

I’ll eat my hat if anyone who is in with the remotest chance of a win loses 30 seconds on that stage

Graves took 13 secs out of Lau (race winner) last year (and more out of many riders in the top 20) on S8 (most physical last year). S6 this year has way way way more peddling in, so my money’s on big gaps. That and the fact this year’s tracks are less technical as a whole makes me think it’ll play a big part.

mc
    Free Member

Anyone know why the event village isn’t up and running yet? Last year everything was in full swing on Wednesday morning. Turned up for registration yesterday and there was one solitary tent. Went back today at 4pm and nothing was really open

The event village was only setup on Wednesday last year, and didn’t open until Thursday, as I helped with the setup last year.
    The big change this year is registration opened on Wednesday, whereas last year you only had to register on the Friday.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

S6 a deliberate ploy by the FC to stop people coming to Glentress maybe? Some people call them pedal bikes, pedal the damn thing and stop moaning. Is there an EWS rule book which states there shouldn’t be much pedaling?

hels
    Free Member

What, you mean like gym memberships Steven ? You may be on to something there, ideal world is people turning up, paying for parking and eating in the café then not using the trails.

But back to the topic in hand, this year GT stages are very spectator friendly. You can get to all the action at the end of 6,7 and 8 a pied or velo, and the pro women start stage 6 at 12.48, when hopefully the rain eases off a bit. That’s my plan for the day ! Post your number up here if you want some cheering (or abuse) from us.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

What we need is an intermediate mid stage pumptrack challenge with time bonuses.

hels
    Free Member

Jerome Clementz was tipping Nico Voulithingy for the win last night (and himself).

fr0sty125
    Free Member

JC no longer under the weather?

andyrm
    Free Member

Nico could be a good bet – he’s done very well on wet tracks in France recently, and when I saw him in Dolce Acqua in Feb, he was looking very, very fast and physically strong, winning by 10s one weekend and by 19s the following. Depth of experience and ability to find his rhythm could well see him beat younger athletes for sure.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Just watched the stage 8 track run looks like it is a lot of pedaling if stage 6 is even more then I feel a bit sorry for the guys racing.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/ews-official-video-tweedlove-teaser-round-3-stage-8-scotland-2015.html

kimbers

Nick climbed up to stage 7 by mistake yesterday he didn’t believe us when we told him he had to go back down and up to the top again for 8

bigjim

I need a poo

Northwind

stevenmenmuir – Member

What we need is an intermediate mid stage pumptrack challenge with time bonuses.

That’s more or less what stage 4 is

@Frosty- stage 8 is a big pedal but apart from a couple of sections, doesn’t really feel it so much- especially with the new additions up in glentress to link sections together better. (I feel like putting some broken glass down in the corner cuts on zoom or bust though!)Perfect example of a big physical stage that works imo.

Northwind

For folks who’re not on the announcement list, here’s the official comment on stage 6

Sealskinz Stage 6
    There has been significant feedback from riders about this stage, so I’d like to clarify the thinking around it. While we have had comment that it is some riders favourite stage, there have been a larger number of negative comments that it is too physical and not enough of a technical challenge. We can assure riders that we always listen to and consider your feedback carefully, but we accept we won’t always be able to keep everyone happy.

It has been our strong intention to create a two day, eight stage course which provides a complete all-round test for riders, combining both technical and endurance-focussed challenges. Our aim is to provide a course which does not favour either of these attributes, but provides a challenge in equal measure to find the athletes with the strongest all round ability, fitness and speed.

We also aim to showcase enjoyable local trails and allow easy spectator access, in order to create a great atmosphere at the event, and I hope that the easy spectator access to Sealskinz Stage 6 will help make it an exciting venue. We hope this information is useful and helps to explain our choice of race stages. I have discussed this in detail with Chris Ball of EMBA and we have agreed that this stage will remain as it has been practiced, unless weather circumstances lead to safety or other major concerns.

Northwind

Triple post! So just following on from a conversation today, and just purely out of curiosity after seeing some of the practice, does the drop out of Pie Run still roll? I know it used to, because I used to roll it but looking at it now I wouldn’t like to try it… What do you reckon?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I dunno but I know where I’m going to hecklespectate. How long does it take to extract your teeth from your stem/handlebars?

bigjim

pie run drop – I rolled it the first time yesterday and pulled it off, bit on the nose heavy side for comfort though. Will give it a bit of a boost on sunday, if I can still see/breathe/hold on by then

I feel like putting some broken glass down in the corner cuts on zoom or bust though!

Yeah some big ones have been made, also I see they had to email about the cuts on stage 1, not that I have the kahunas to hop those logs anyway. Just hope the loose logs don’t end up in the main track.

Garry_Lager

I was ok rolling it as well – right hand side, took it fairly slow as it’s a steep one.
    Do you know what was meant by the message about taping the chicane in stage 1? Wasn’t sure if it meant they’ll be the option of a chicken run by just following the trail round, or if you’ll defo need to take it on, just that you can take whatever line you like.

mactheknife

Northwind, yep i rolled it yesterday. Just. Had my arse scraping the rear wheel tho 🙂

I am out, had an interface with a tree on stage 7. And unsurprisingly i came off worse.

Just need to get it sorted for Trans Provence in a few weeks.

Good luck to everyone racing, hope the weather is kind to you all 🙂

bigjim

that really slow tight rocky chicane on stage 1 has a cut line on it, if you have the skills to jump over the log piles designed to stop you cutting it. otherwise you just have to follow the trail. there is a vid of the cut being ridden by someone fast on pinkbike somewhere…

bigjim

Unusually dry yesterday at the EWS Practice in Scotland. Check out some of Scotty Laughland's GARMIN Helmet Cam action! CUBE Action Team CUBE Bikes – official page

Posted by CUBE Bikes UK on Thursday, May 28, 2015

24 seconds in

Garry_Lager

Cheers Jim, I thought it meant the turn before so have the right of it now.

Northwind

Ah that sucks Mac, get well soon.

I wasn’t sure if it was that section, there’s a couple of other bits that were straightlinable when I came down late on wednesday, that probably shouldn’t have been. Bit of a bummer, that section took a lot of cleaning up after the UKGE used it a couple of years ago and taped it badly, I guess we might be back in there… We’ll just wind ChrisL up and let him deal with zorb

(Can’t disapprove of the line over the logs though, that first set is slippy as ice, get it wrong and it’ll **** you. That’s a respectable shortcut, none of your 20 foot of grass bullshit)

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Good luck guys!

myopic
    Free Member

Re Drop out of Pie Run. Why is that the only one of the three exit options available being used, yet in Mushroom Pie there are 2 skinnies where you can choose to bail onto the wider bridges instead? Seems odd to make the trickiest feature in that section compulsory, but to have options for other perfectly straightforward ones

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Is this being broadcast live anywhere?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Just a written feed and live timing for this race.

T-Mo has absolutely killed it! Hasn’t even got to those pedally stages that ACC was worried about. Surprised that Barnes isn’t doing better than he is I’m not surprised that JC is struggling the guy is still ill.

Live Mens E1 timing
    http://www.sportident.co.uk/results/2015/Tweedlove/Latest/e1_men.html

Live Women E1 timing

http://www.sportident.co.uk/results/2015/Tweedlove/Latest/e1_women.html

bigjim

For very boring and disappointing reasons I wasn’t able to race today, but watched stages 2 and 4. Rude was absolutely flying and super smooth, not surprised to see him sitting in 1st. He could be quick tomorrow too being a very strong rider.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 205 total)

The topic ‘EWS, who's excited ?’ is closed to new replies.