Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • EVOC Rucksacks – Can you use as just a back protector?
  • mbqwerty
    Free Member

Did my first uplift this weekend… was advised to take a back protector so had to dig out a massive dainese motorbike one that left a river running down my back (…nice). Had my eye on the evoc bags for a while because of the built in back protector, but trying to get something with a good level of versatility.

The FR Trail and ‘enduro’ look like great offerings, but can find little-to-no information about being able to unzip the back from the straps to leave just the back protector. From what I can see you can do it with the FR Trail but at 20L it’s a bit on the big (MASSIVE) side.

Does anyone know if you can do the same with the enduro pack or is that built-in only?

honourablegeorge

The larger one allows the backpack to be unzipped, enduro or smaller do not

tom.nash

I can with my FR Trail Team.

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Damnit! Any other alternatives out there that spring to mind?

poah
    Free Member

just wear the back park, not a big deal. its what I do

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Why do you want a separate one?

I’m looking for some protection after breaking my back last week (lucky escape) and considering a pack with protection (evoc enduro) or a vest (raceface ambush spine)

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Just useful for doing uplift days or messing around with jumps and the such. It’s not a big deal to just take a pack, just useful to have the option.

looking for some protection after breaking my back last week

Damn man, hope you’re ok! From mountain biking?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I’m OK, had an over the bars moment on a steep section and flew backwards before hitting a tree. Somehow walked away from it but a lot of injuries including fracturing T12 down to L4 – luckily not in a bad way somehow.

I’m not sure whether to get a pack, evoc or Poc so far on the list. Or to get a vest – thinking that even on an uplift day I ride with a pack for hydration so seem to be leaning that way.

mbqwerty
    Free Member

I checked out that Raceface one, looks pretty decent and means I can carry tyre levers and a co2 pump in the side pocket at least (I’m a lot squishier on the sides so hopefully they won’t puncture me if i crash!)

Glad to hear you’re (relatively) ok. Heard some horror stories but this is sort of why I want to get the back protector now. Hitting bigger and bigger trails and it’s only a matter of time until a massive off (had a near miss yesterday after landing on an off-camber rooty bit and smeared myself across the ground)

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ve been getting faster and more confident – you could say more complacent too. Had a wake up call so gonna buy something. Thing I was lucky as I had my d3o elbows stashed in my pack exactly where I hit the tree. Trying not to think about what could have happened

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘EVOC Rucksacks – Can you use as just a back protector?’ is closed to new replies.