Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 168 total)
  • Everyone been out to vote then?
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I held my nose and did my civic duty. Who wants to guess / know how I voted?

3 votes here. constituency.list and referendum

LoCo
    Free Member

later couple over here in Wales , lacking in choice some what 😐

docrobster
    Free Member

I did my duty too after dropping the kids at school. Polling station was deserted, different from the last time when I had to queue for ages.
    You strike me as a Yes man TJ

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Who wants to guess / know how I voted?

Monster Raving Pink Wafer?

😉

LoCo
    Free Member

NO to pink wafers! 👿

binners

You voted Tory didn’t you. All this Alex Salmond SNP cheerleading is just a front to hide your deep-seated, lifelong admiration for Thatcher. And you’re quietly ecstatic at Call-me-Dave is continuing her legacy

And you voted No to AV to see the Tory hegemony continued indefinitely

I’m right aren’t I?

anokdale
    Free Member

Yeah – Postal vote last week, three votes but did not get involved with the Welsh Assembly one, foregone conclusion on AV it would seem from the polls.

woody2000

Did you vote Yes to AV as your first choice, and No to AV as your second?

🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

We had three votes each by post. I filled out the AV one but intentionally spoiled my paper for the borough and parish elections. No one has made any effort to inform me what they do or why I should give them my support. The wife and I spend an evening searching the web to try and find something out about these people and there was nothing. The few bits of paper that have been shoved through the door were all of the “vote for us because we’re not the other lot and they did this and that and the other”. We wanted to make an informed choice but that’s pretty difficult without information.

GrahamS

Aye, postal vote already sent some days ago.

GW
    Free Member

Who wants to guess / know how I voted?

don’t care.

FWIW I’ll never vote.

anokdale
    Free Member

Onzadog – Same here as well local elections a none event this time although i voted for the same bloke in the Parish one as last time as i felt he deserved another term.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Just had the Jehovas Witnesses at the door. I asked them if they had voted. They don’t vote!

I suggested that voting for a change in the voting system wasn’t the same as voting for a particular party.

They didn’t see it.

Went on to discuss whether they would take part in politics to get rid fo a dictator (they wouldn’t) or vote against Mugabe (they wouldn’t). Neither were they prepared to express a preference for who we should put in charge of keeping the roads mended and the sewers clean. Apparently it will all happen spontaneously once God has established his own government on earth.

I voted Yes, but ironically I suspect that it was a “wasted vote” – no disrespect to anyone who has made a principled decision to vote No, but I suspect that the majority of the population are too stupid/apathetic/lazy/fearful for the Yes vote to win.

My wife is a teacher and was discussing AV with her colleagues yesterday (you would have thought a reasonably thoughtful bunch) – one of them said that she didn’t know enough about poilitics to be able to rank all the parties, another said that you would get 5 votes under AV – honestly, it seems we do indeed deserve the Governments that we get.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

GW,

Do you want me to run through the arguments I put to the Jehovas Witnesses?

Are you one?

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I postal voted last week. Yes to AV. Somewhat limited choice on the local elections – Greens, UKIP or conservatives. I voted for the person that I know (was in the same class at school as his younger brother, and he’s only a few years older), hopefully he won’t have been spoilt by too much party politics!

portlyone

was that today then? oh.

kaesae
    Free Member

Voting simply gives credibility to a system that is fundamentaly flawed in its philosophy and application.

The argument is that without voting you cannot affect change, the reality is that the vote you cast has no value and means nothing.

The only real change in this world will be made by those willing to put in the effort and who embrace a different philosophy from systematic incompetence and social delusionment 😯

In short politics is a load of shite and all you are doing is wasting your time.

Money/resources governed by competent innovative individuals is what our species requires, not more talk or idiotic delusional nonsense!

Have a nice day! 😀

antigee

very sadly ironic that a vote on electoral reform is in itself a first past the post vote, very cynical that government have decided to offer a poor form of proportional representation as the only available option thus guaranteeing safe seats for the future

GrahamS

Money/resources governed by competent innovative individuals is what our species requires, not more talk or idiotic delusional nonsense!

Riiiiiiiiiight.

So basically every man/woman/child for themselves and **** anyone that doesn’t have money/resources.

Yeah, you’re right – that sounds like a much better system 🙄

binners

I don’t see how you could run a referendum which has a ‘yes’ or ‘no’ answer on anything other than first past the post.

What did you have in mind?

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes I fought my way through the crowds wishing to influence parliamentary democracy and placed my vote with all the other throng of passionate people

GrahamS

very sadly ironic that a vote on electoral reform is in itself a first past the post vote

There are only two choices: Yes or No

You can consider it an AV vote if you like – if your first choice doesn’t get in then your second will be considered 😀

BigJohn

I think I may have just committed electoral fraud. I took my 14mth old grandson in with me, so he could witness a momentus political event in the making.

He doesn’t half love crayons, so I let him do a couple of Xs on the ballot form.

Bez

What did you have in mind?

More options. As the second half of the post fairly clearly implies.

Bez

He means you could have an AV vote for FPTP, AV, PR etc…

GW
    Free Member

GW,

Do you want me to run through the arguments I put to the Jehovas Witnesses?Yes please I’ll go get the biscuits 😉

Are you one?

no. but I do know a few (will see one this afternoon so can pass on your remarks)

Kaesae – if you’d kept that wee rant shorter I’d have had to agree with you 😯
    😉

Drac

Ooh I must do that before I bugger off for the weekend.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I voted yes to AV. Can’t afford to upgrade to HDMI at the moment.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

And you can bet your boots that any time reform is mentioned from now on the Tories will be saying:

“The electorate were given the opportunity for voting reform and have clearly chosen FPTP as the voting system for this country for all of eternity.”

Bez

Voting simply gives credibility to a system that is fundamentaly flawed in its philosophy and application.

Voting simply gives respect to the countless people who, over the centuries, have argued, fought and died to win political power for the population as a whole, rather than just the privileged elite, and represents support for that as an evolving process. We as a population continue to debate voting reform as a way of seeking better representation of the views of that population. This is a key part of that process.

The idea that you gain some sort of intellectual or moral high ground by abstaining is frankly absurd, certainly unless you have a better system which you are actively fighting to see implemented. And if you do then you’d be well advised to vote for pretty much any electoral reform that’s on the table in order to make your point that you dislike the status quo.

binners

He means you could have an AV vote for FPTP, AV, PR etc…

We have a Tory majority coalition government. I reckon you’d have more chance of seeing every cabinet member parading through the streets of London naked than that option ever being put to the electorate

antigee

Bez – Member

He means you could have an AV vote for FPTP, AV, PR etc

correct that is what i meant

Bez

We have a Tory majority coalition government. I reckon you’d have more chance of seeing every cabinet member parading through the streets of London naked than that option ever being put to the electorate

Oh, I agree. And PR is a massively different system anyway, whereas AV is highly compatible with the existing electoral infrastructure, so I don’t think it’s a reasonable option in the short term.

But I was just clarifying the point.

GrahamS

As an aside, can someone explain to me why in this day and age we have to either physically go to a Polling Station (on a work day) or remember to register for a Postal Vote in advance and then send it off before the debates are complete?

Surely some boffin can devise a way for these shiny computery things to transmit information to each other and allow us to communicate our votes through some form of inter-connected network, or “internet”?

thegreatape
    Free Member

I never bothered reading all the other AV threads. I presume it’s already been pointed out that David Cameron got to be Tory leader via an AV system?

molgrips
    Free Member

I am not around and I didn’t register for postal ballot, I didn’t even know it was happening soon enough.

Anyone planning on abstaining want to vote Yes for me?

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Labour and NO

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

GW,

Basically what I said to the Jehovas Witnesses was the last para of Bez’s last (edit: second last) comment, though not so eloquently.

But it’s not too late to change your mind – get out there and vote!

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Surely some boffin can devise a way for these shiny computery things to transmit information to each other and allow us to communicate our votes through some form of inter-connected network, or “internet”?

I think Sony have implemented something like that.

Bez

As an aside, can someone explain to me why in this day and age we have to either physically go to a Polling Station (on a work day) or remember to register for a Postal Vote in advance and then send it off before the debates are complete?

Because those options are readily accessible to more people in the country than the Internet is. Plus the “if it ain’t broke” argument.

Flipside: Can someone explain to me why in this day and age, when transport is easier and more accessible than it has ever been, people object to having to actually go somewhere which is probably roughly one mile from their homes in order to have their say in the running of the country? Or why in this day and age, when information is more readily available and filterable than ever and many people have devices which can tell you to do things at certain times, people can’t be bothered to remember to sign up to have their say in the running of the country?

I mean, I’m with you, Internet voting would be nice – but it’s not like you’ve got to trek 20 miles barefoot and hand-carve your vote in a tablet of granite.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 168 total)

The topic ‘Everyone been out to vote then?’ is closed to new replies.