Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Everesting
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

Since when has “Everesting” been limited to just one climb/
    Yet another modernisation of a perfectly idea!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sounds dull as ****.

mattsccm
    Free Member

It is the modern way.

mooman
    Free Member

Seen a couple guys on strava doing it … riding the same climb over and over all day.

They need to get a hobby or something; gotta be more interesting things to do with their time.

wrecker
    Free Member

Why would anyone give a shit?

scotroutes

Just like riding a XC race, repeating the same bit over and over again…..

At least it’s outdoors rather than some simulator hooked up to a turbo trainer.

palmer77
    Free Member

Why the hate? Riding 8500+ metres is a fairly big deal, as well as a logistical nightmare…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Why would anyone give a shit?

CaptJon
    Free Member

Ages.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A valid point re XC racing scotroutes….

scotroutes

And let’s not even think about Track….

crazy-legs

It’s always been one climb!
    Up and down the same bit of road – no loops and no partial climbs in order to miss out a steep bit. Seems perfectly reasonable. No-one is making you ride one.

A mate put together an Everest Ride local to me, it’s just a regular ride featuring 8848m of climbing. We’ve got plans to ride it this summer, three of us cos we’ve all done a “traditional” Everesting and this seemed like a good idea when casually mentioned in a pub at some point over winter…

mooman
    Free Member

palmer77 – Member
    Why the hate? Riding 8500+ metres is a fairly big deal, as well as a logistical nightmare…

Right up there with the Guinness book of records for sitting in a bath of baked beans. Not something you’d want to do yourself – and only seems a big deal to the people who actually do it.

nealglover
    Free Member

and only seems a big deal to the people who actually do it.

Not really.
    I don’t do it, but I can appreciate it’s not an easy thing to achieve and quite a big deal.

beej

Not really.
    I don’t do it, but I can appreciate it’s not an easy thing to achieve and quite a big deal.

Agreed. I’ve done a few day rides with close to 5000m of climbing, adding another chunk to that is impressive. Plus the mental toughness of going up and down the same climb.

aracer
    Free Member

Since forever. You can hardly claim to be Everesting when climbing K2.

nealglover
    Free Member

Exactly. Like climbing Ventoux Five and a half times is the same as sitting in a bath of beans 🙄

And this is supposed to be a cycling forum 😆

fifeandy
    Free Member

Quite a challenge for sure, and ideal for something to do as a charity event, but a bit of a yawn-fest to do just for the hell of it.

orangeboy
    Free Member

A little surprised by the hate , sure it’s not for everyone but we can all appreciate the challenge of it, can’t we ?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

But it’s not like going up Everest is it. Most get a Sherpa to carry their baked beans to base camp, that’s 5,400m gone and then there’s the ‘death’ zone that kills you.

‘Everesting’ is nothing like ‘Everesting’ just hard in a different way, but you probably don’t risk death quite so much (or the squits)

Northwind

I can appreciate the challenge of doing that much climbing. I can’t see any point to doing it all on the same climb though. It’s like the difference between riding the length of the country, and riding the same distance as laps of a roundabout. And yeah, the arbitrariness of “the height of everest” seems odd because you don’t start at sea level.

How about reverse everesting? Descend 8800m of proper offroad in a day. That’s pretty much exactly 16 runs of fort william dh (I’ve done 13 and a bit and a day and rubbed off quite a lot of skin in the process), or 11 runs down Black 8… Or, um, about 72 runs of Sheepskull

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Basic problem is finding a road ride etc. with 8500m of climbing that is a practical distance. Doing the laps means you can get the climbing done.

whitestone
    Free Member

@mikenewsmith – the Everesting site lets you choose a Strava segment and it will tell you how many times you need to climb it and how far in distance you’ll have to ride.

As for doing it, well it’s little different to riding round in circles in forestry at a trail centre.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sorry my point being finding a non repeating way of doing the climbing is ambitious for most people unless you happen to have a decent mountain range https://www.strava.com/challenges/rapha-rising-circle-of-death

ferrals
    Free Member

I don’t think it relates to racing xc in the slightest, nor trail centre laps. It’s a brutal challenge and I’m impressed by people who do it. Can’t see why anyone would have an issue with it, unless they were jealous of the required fitness and mental fortitude.

I’d be more impressed if someone rode a fat bike to the top of actual Everest though.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Does it count if you do it on an ebike? Then put it on strava as a ‘normal’ ride?

bob_summers

Sorry my point being finding a non repeating way of doing the climbing

Did they change the rules? I always thought (if you wanted them to recognise it at least) it had to be the same segment both climbing and descending, ie no loops.

Some local lads did 10,000m in a day last summer, riding 9 cols in the Pyrenees. 305km and 17 hours in truly filthy weather.

jam-bo

Has anyone done it on zwift yet?

crazy-legs

Has anyone done it on zwift yet?

It can only be a matter of time.
    Someone did LEJOG on a semi-custom turbo trainer with a virtual reality headset streaming Google Streetview so I’m sure it won’t be too long before someone sets up a turbo on an inclince programmed to switch between +10% and -10% gradients to mimic it!

DrP

I frequently toy with this idea…
    I think the challenge is to find the ‘ideal’ climb to do it on.

We’ve a good one near me, but…it’s too ‘involving’ on the descent – I think you need a descent where you can switch off and just criuse.
    After 20 hours I’d not want to deal with some of its corners.

Also, do you choose steep and short, or long and shallow…???

I think it’s something like 60 times up ditchling beacon..
    Mad

DrP

mooman
    Free Member

ferrals – Member
    Can’t see why anyone would have an issue with it, unless they were jealous of the required fitness and mental fortitude.

I think you misreading things; it’s not people having an issue with it … it’s quite the opposite; it’s just a silly insignificant pointless thing to do.
    Jealous of the required fitness? Every one I have seen has just been them plodding up & down all day … I am sure a good level of fitness is required, but hardly an elite level fitness.
    And mental fortitude? Really?? as far as I concerned it just means they got nothing more interesting to do … even Coronation Street re-runs gotta be more interesting than the same 3mile piece of road

DT78
    Free Member

I was planning on doing it a couple of years ago when super fit. Mainly for the challenge, back then I was already doing several hill rep sessions a month in prep for it. Then I had 2 kids.

I will do it, as like the south down way, lejog, 24hr mtb race, it’s all about the challenge. You reach some dark places when you push yourself that hard. I like coming out the other side….

Current challenge is surviving 2 under 2 with some semblance of fitness 🙁

legend
    Free Member

We’ve a good one near me, but…it’s too ‘involving’ on the descent – I think you need a descent where you can switch off and just criuse.
    After 20 hours I’d not want to deal with some of its corners.

A guy I know did one fairly local to me recently. The descent is definitely ‘involving’ 20% in places and a humpback bridge that you can get air off. Bloomin nuts these folk

Jealous of the required fitness? Every one I have seen has just been them plodding up & down all day … I am sure a good level of fitness is required, but hardly an elite level fitness.

Nobody’s saying it is elite level fitness, but you’re kidding yourself if you think that amount of effort isn’t going to really hurt.

And mental fortitude? Really?? as far as I concerned it just means they got nothing more interesting to do … even Coronation Street re-runs gotta be more interesting than the same 3mile piece of road

That’s the point he was making. It is less interesting than Corrie, which makes it bloody hard to keep switched on for. Then potentially you do have to make sure you’re switched back on so you don’t kill yourself on the descent

km79
    Free Member

It doesn’t pass the fun test for me so I’m out.

whitestone
    Free Member

I don’t see it as “fun”, well certainly not type 1 fun, it’s probably type 2 fun – better in retrospect. It’s a challenge, not all challenges are “fun”, sometimes they are about seeing how deep you can dig, how far you can push yourself, etc.

Ian Barrington has done a couple – this is his first – interesting about the attitude, etc., required.

As for Corrie? I’d prefer to have all my fingernails and toenails pulled out!

Edukator
    Free Member

When someone does it on a challenging MTB singletrack of at least 300m vertical at over 15% average gradient I’ll take interest.

stever
    Free Member

A friend of mine did it on a local 160′ hill – 186 reps. To which I say chapeau! Isn’t most of what we do essentially pointless?

crazy-legs

I did it for exactly that. Mental challenge. It was quite interesting actually, you’ve got calculations ongoing about pace, number of laps left, eating/drinking and so on. Some of it was simply a case of switching the brain off and not overthinking things, just turning the pedals. The climb changed throughout the day as well from crack of dawn, through the busy part of the day and finishing in early evening when it was near deserted again.

Richpips off here also did one (about 3 years ago now) – I think for more or less the same reaosns, just to prove to himself that he could do it.

DrP

When someone does it on a challenging MTB singletrack of at least 300m vertical at over 15% average gradient I’ll take interest.

Looks like you’ve set your own challenge there pal 😉

DrP

whitestone
    Free Member

Richpips and mini pips are on the HT550 ATM

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Everesting’ is closed to new replies.