Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Estate cars esp Volvo V60
  • dalesjoe
    Free Member

I’m looking to buy a new (2nd hand 4/5 yr old) car in the next few months. Today I took a Volvo V60 (2 ltr diesel) for a test drive. Got to say it was lovely to drive, plenty of power and extremely quiet. The only concern I had was the size of the boot. Now, I don’t need anything massive but would like to be able to throw the bike in the back. Just wondered if anyone had any real world experience of the V60 and how you found it? Especially interested in the general running costs ie servicing, reliability, cost for fixing problems etc.

I really do want to test drive a VW Passat as they seem to be the current favorite estate. Having been a passenger in a few while very nice just don’t seem to be quite the same quality as the V60. So, if anybody has driven/owned both it would be great to hear how you got on with them!

cheers

uwe-r
    Free Member

We were looking at smaller estates earlier in the year and the V60 was the front runner for a while, the other options were BMW 3 series or a VW Golf Estate.

For our budget we found we could get a really nice VW where as the BMW and Volvos were all 1 or 2 years older or with loads more miles / signs of age.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Passat is notably larger in terms of load carrying. Quality wise (esp interior) I would agree Volvo would be superior to VW, perhaps closer to Audi. I looked at the XC60 as I wanted 4WD but in the end went with an A6 Quattro which I thought was excellent value vs alternatives, in fact it was same price for better spec than an A4.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

I did have a sit in an A6 today. Was 2 years older for the same price and almost felt too big! Actually thought the comfort of the Volvo was better. The Audi didn’t half make a noise though when I turned the engine on compared to the Volvo!

BristolPablo
    Free Member

Have a look at the Saab 93, I really like mine, may not be as spacious as the Volvo but its a nice car and great value for money. Loads of spares, indy support etc too so dont be put off by things like that. The 150bhp TiD engine is ok, not as refined as some but quick enough, the TTiD, Aero and Hot must be great fun.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes the Audi is a notably bigger car externally, you really notice it in a multi-story car park. Superb on motorway though. V60 will get the job done space wise certainly for one bike with front wheel off, depends if you want more space than that as the Passat will start to look appealing.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

I’ll have a look out for a Saab. Thanks for that.

I’m quite happy to take the front wheel off to get it in with space for a few bags etc. Most of the time Ill just be using it as a regular car with the occasional longer trip so probably keener to go for a nicer over all car than the extra space which I’d hardly ever need in all honesty. Also more confident driving something smaller.

Feeling a lot happier about the Volvo now too having just found out via google that the electric hand brake automatically releases when you move off! Was finding that a right pain today & the salesman didn’t seem to know how to use it either!

oldschool

Have had a V60 for the last 18 months as a company car, and done 48k in it. Only been in for servicing, and touch wood nothing is playing up still. Nice and comfy, I have the D4 and it returns about 46mph and I don’t drive it for economy. Space is OK, can get the bike in without issues. Went up to Scotland earlier in the year for a week with two bikes, chocolate Labrador and enough kit to sink a battleship, 10 hours and me and the wife didn’t suffer. If it’s that sort of size car you are after then I’d go for it.

kcal

how many threads and no-ones mentioned Octavia (if you’ve already looked at Golf, it’d be the VFM option)…
    Or the Superb for cavernous.

oldschool

Did have the Superb for 3 years prior to the above V60, apart from space it did nothing better than the V60.

Waderider
    Free Member

I fancy a V60 next. Simply on the grounds that my current Volvo has been so reliable over the first 7 years of ownership.

onewheelgood

I’ve just gone from an A6 2.7tdi to a V60 D3 (the older one with the 5 cylinder 2 litre -it’s a 12 plate). The V60 is a fair bit smaller load wise, but passenger space isn’t a lot different. It’s surprised me that the much smaller engine in a smaller car is only about 10% more economical, but apart from that I’m pretty happy. It’s very comfortable, servicing and tyres are cheaper, and it’s not noticeably slower.

boblo
    Free Member

I’m sorry but there’s no way a Volvo interior is anywhere near the quality of an A6. I’ve had several of the latter and am currently lumbered with a V70.

Not-even-close.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

Old school, that sounds like it will be perfectly big enough for me then. Funnily enough I had a sit in the back behind the drivers seat after I’d set it up for me driving. Being 6’3″ I was amazed that there was still enough leg room gor me in the back. Suprisingly this was not the case in the a6. I guess that’s one reason the audi’s boot was so vast.

As for the interior I guess I was looking at an 11 plate v60 compared to an 09 A6 plus it had clearly been looked after far better.

onewheelgood

Boblo, I think I’d disagree with that. The V60 isn’t quite to Audi standards, but it’s pretty damn close – 95% at least. Having said that, the interior of my last A6 still looked pretty good at 203k, and the Volvo is only on 40k, so there’s still time for it to fall apart. No sign of that so far, however.
    Edit: the Audi was an S-line, the Volvo an SE Lux, so comparable in terms of kit – leather, heated seats, satnav etc.

boblo
    Free Member

@owg That’s fine matey, you can disagree 😀 The whole thing doesn’t feel as well screwed together e.g. the doors clang rather than clunk (expensively). It’s pretty subjective I know but all mine have been from near new (ex demos) then kept to 5-6 years old. The V70 was the same when I bought it. They’re OK and great for carrying a tandem but nowhere near Audi/BMW/MB IME.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

What sort of fuel figures are people generally getting with these Volvo’s, particularly the D3 (2lt Diesel). I read somewhere that the difference between the fuel consumption with the V60/V70 vas only slight. Found that a bit surprising to be honest.

boblo
    Free Member

High 30’s from the D5 and I don’t clog it.

db

Have a D4 (new 4 cylinder versions) V60. It’s not big – think sport back rather than big estate. I do miss the space I had before (but that was a berlingo!)

Seems well screwed together. Have had it a year and done 30k with no issues just a couple of front tires. Volvo dealer seems good although only had one service.

Fuel wise its not great (mid 40s) but that’s more my driving ‘style’ than the engines fault.
    Friend has a D5 version a couple years older and has done over 100k with no issues. The D3, D4, D5 5 cylinder engine is a workhorse and in D3 power not stressed.

So like it but may go for a v70 or xc60 next time – got to wait a couple of years yet 🙂

td75
    Free Member

Anyone owned a SAAB 95 estate 2.2 diesel? Thinking of going to look at one. It’s got 139k on it. Can you still get spares etc?

boblo
    Free Member

I had the 93 with that engine. IIRC, it’s an ISUZU lump so not so dependant on SAAB for spares. Apparently very prone to get injector seal leakage (mine did). Wouldn’t start one day, took a while to fix though probably more to do with the the dealer than the problem.

Otherwise good engine. Very strong and torquey. Returned ~42mpg during mixed driving. EGR needed a few squirts of carb cleaner as it got a bit bunged up at 125k miles….

td75
    Free Member

Thanks boblo. It might be worth a look then. Cheers

td75
    Free Member

Went to look at the SAAB. Was nice apart from the rusty rear arches. Shame car was great apart from that.

weeksy

I tried a v50 today, bought a civic!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Estate cars esp Volvo V60’ is closed to new replies.