Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Err have Google turned off Picasa…?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

If so that is very annoying 🙁

Stoner
    Free Member

Was expecting it. But yes that’s annoying. Will have to work out any easy alternative way of embedding images in threads from Google photos as unfortunately the stw forum software can’t handle Google image addresses

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yes and yes. I’ve failed to find how to replicate key functionality with Google photos so have moved to Flickr. I used cloudsfer to migrate.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Balls 🙁 Need to find another way to embed photos now.

chvck
    Free Member

Doesn’t appear to be any simple way to do this, I’ve tried a few workarounds and nothing has worked.

Drac

Imgur

aracer
    Free Member

Imgur is what I also use for photos on here – decided eventually that it was less hassle simply uploading to that than all the workarounds involving picasa. Still hoping Google might add easy hotlinking to Google photos

sadexpunk

i too have taken the advice on here and use imgur. useless for hosting my albums ive found (that could just be me tho), but easypeasy for taking a photo and getting it on here.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Imgur is fine for disposable hosting. But you never want to use it for proper storage/management.

Stoner
    Free Member

Am experimenting with new Google service that replaced Picasa. Let’s try thid:

So that address is too long for stw. Is this an stw issue? Or bb issue? Can it be tweaked by stw?

Stoner
    Free Member

Stoner
    Free Member

So as before, using url shortener goo.gl works. Just need to streamline the shortening. Must be a phone app for that

Stoner
    Free Member

Stoner
    Free Member

The goo.gl url shortener app with the Greenland logo on Google play works fine and speeds up the process.

bearnecessities

You might be able to see the pics, but I can’t. (on an iPhone)

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I see no images, Stoner.

Stoner
    Free Member

Really?
    Bugger, that doesn’t work then

Stoner
    Free Member

Oh, hang on, I think I know why

cp

I can see pics of sunset

chvck
    Free Member

I can see the images, so it is the url is too long then is it? Do you also have to use a shareable link? I tried taking the URL and shoving ?.jpg on as it was suggested that’d work… but didn’t.

Stoner
    Free Member

dawson

I can see 3 pics

Stoner
    Free Member

From the image in photo archive (the new Picasa) rhc or press hold and “open image in new tab” or copy image address. Paste into a url shortener and use the shorter url in the img tags in stw.

If someone tweaked the field character limit in bb press we shouldn’t need to do the enshortening

Stoner
    Free Member

So I think it might be get be your end bongo

Stoner
    Free Member
    5thElefant
    Free Member

The show stopper for me is you can no longer just give a link to all your galleries. You have to share individual ones via Google photos. Bizarre decision by Google.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Progress apparently 🙁

I shall be checking out imgur. Now wondering if all my old links to Picasa hosted images still work?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Weird. Works on desktop, chrome/safari/firefox, but not on iOS, chrome/safari.

^^^ That one shows up tho.

DickBarton

Which one, that has been posted 3 or 4 times now!

chvck
    Free Member

I shall be checking out imgur. Now wondering if all my old links to Picasa hosted images still work?

I think so as I think they were links to the permanent storage address, as per what Stoner is now posting but via a URL shorterner as they appear to have changed something on the URLs too.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Now wondering if all my old links to Picasa hosted images still work?

If your username is in the link, no. If your user Id number is in the link, yes.

Edit: just checked and mine are OK (the above may be more for gallery links than images).

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Which one, that has been posted 3 or 4 times now!

It’s linked to the comment. Click it 🙂

Drac

Only the final one worked for me too on iOS.

nickc

Stoner you images not showing on Chromebook.

I’m using Imgur

Drac

Looks like he’s removed them now.

Stoner
    Free Member

Nope not removed. I think session shares look a bit flaky and maintaining permissions. I was lining from images in the auto back up folder which may be why permissions aren’t right. If I use a “shared” album I expect it works more reliably.

Stoner
    Free Member

Here is an image, not previously shared or hotlinked that I moved to a sharing permission album

andytherocketeer

that one shows, but it’s upside down

none of the others were visible

fozzyuk

Android and chrome. The only image I can see in this thread is the last map one from stoner

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

On iOS-Safari/Chrome, the upside down map, which I can see on Chrome/OSX, isn’t visible.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Err have Google turned off Picasa…?’ is closed to new replies.