• This topic has 18 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by ahsat.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Ergonomic mouse – any recommendations?
  • london_lady
    Free Member

Has anyone got a recommendation for an ergonomic mouse please?
    My Osteo has recommended I get one for work but there are loads out there to choose from & given they are rather a lot of money would like to hear some reviews before I order one.
    Thanks.

Clobber
    Free Member

Have you looked at trackball mice instead?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve ot a Logitec rollerball jobby as a mouse was giving me an RSI type pain in my forearm – a bit like Tennis Elbow, and I deduced it was from moving my whole arm and holding my hand flat, which is not the natural position it wants to be in. My rollerball one angles my hand at about 45 degrees – so far more comfortable that flat, and you’re not moving your arm around like you do with a mouse. It doesn’t take long to get the coordination between holing down your index finger and moving the roller ball with your thumb. I much prefer it to a mouse.

leffeboy

Got a colleague with a rollerball and it seems quite nice. That would be my first point of call

Another office uses keyboards with a long bar at the front that you roll your while hand over. I haven’t used it for any length of time but the initial feeling is amazingly comfortable. Don’t know the brand but can ask if you are interested

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

cranberry
    Free Member

The Logitech trackball third-ed.

It might take a while to get used to, but you don’t move your wrist very much with them so they can be good for people with RSI.

http://www.logitech.com/en-roeu/product/wireless-trackball-m570

teef
    Free Member

Have you thought about switching mouse hand? – worked for me.

fionap

I use an Anker Vertical Mouse – only £11.99 on Amazon so not a huge investment if you don’t get on with it.
    I do a lot of CAD work and can’t get on with a rollerball. A normal ‘flat mouse’ gives me RSI within about an hour these days.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Have you thought about switching mouse hand? – worked for me.

I used to switch the mouse from right to left and it’s surprising how quickly you get used to it so it’s definitely worth persevering with until you get over the initial awkwardness.

What really worked for me was buying a trackpad that I use in conjunction with a mouse. Trackpad on the left of the keyboard which takes care of all scrolling, zooming, panning duties and mouse on the right that I use for more precise work. This spreads the workload enough and has stopped any wrist pain.

holst
    Free Member

I also love the Logitech trackballs. Doesn’t take long to get used to them.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I am using an Accuratus mouse which has the buttons at around 45 deg. so the hand sits in a more comfortable position. Seems to be helping my tennis elbow but still early days. Relatively cheap to try at around £15 for a cordless one. Its marketed under a couple of different names but a google should make it clear.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I had really bad RSI in my right arm because of excessive use of the mouse, my work bought me a penguin, which definitely helped but because I use the mouse for 3D modelling I found that I couldn’t get the accuracy with the Penguin.
    I retrained my brain to use my left hand for mousing and the pain is now gone in my right hand. I now alternate hands if doing a lot of mouse work.

teef
    Free Member

I retrained my brain to use my left hand for mousing

I think you’re been a bit dramatic here – it took me a maximum of 2 mins to get the hang of it. Now I can swap mouse hands whenever it suits without a problem and I’m not ambidextrous or have any other specials skills.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I was also thinking of an ergonomic mouse some years ago but instead went for a smaller keyboard without a number pad, so that I don’t have to reach so far to the mouse to operate it.

I use a goldtouch keyboard (you can get a seperate number pad) and is also splitable (and tiltable) so it is better for not angling your wrists when using it, which is what causes carpel tunnel.

I have several (one at work, one at home, and some spares).

If you are near Surrey or London I can lend you a new V2 version to try – as I am used to the slightly different V1 layout now and bought the V2 version by mistake.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I think you’re been a bit dramatic here

some of us are very right-side oriented – it would take me a long time to get used to a left hand mouse. I have my mtb brakes swapped to Euro style as I have a tendency to grab the right brake lever before the left, and I would rather lock the back wheel in a panic than OTB.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i found changing to a more sensitive mouse AND adjusting the sensitivity settings in windows so that my mouse needed less movement input helped alot – esp as navigating across 3 monitors with the previous mouse meant i had to reset it like a typewriter 3 times just to cross from far left to far right.

changing from the crappy oem dell squat blob mouse also helped.

sporting a fairly sizable flat logitech wireless one now but my pain is all but gone.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I’ve a Goldtouch mouse at work – it’s a kinda halfway house between a standard mouse and those vertical ones (which I couldn’t get away with).

It’s a lot chunkier width ways so doesn’t feel like I’m holding the mouse between thump and forefinger which has reduced any problems I had.

plyphon
    Free Member

Logitech MX for a @ “standard” mouse

Also, a surprising alternative is the Apple Magic Touch pad thing. Bsaically a macbook pro touchpad on a standalone USB device.

ahsat

+1 for the Anker vertical mouse from Amazon. Bought a wireless one thinking it was worth trying for the price and ended up buying myself one for work too. No more RSI since!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Ergonomic mouse – any recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.