Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • England v Germany
  • flashinthepan
    Free Member

Anyone else watch it?

I did. And while we didn’t set the world on fire it was probably the most encouraging performance for some time.

There IS some potential there. Next year is probably too soon, but at last we seem to have some defenders who can play and defend. We’ve some real strength in the full / wing back department. Add in Kane, Rashfod, Dele Alli, Lalana and we have a semblance of a competitive team.

R.L-C rightly taking plaudits – he could develop into a very, very good player if only he gets some proper game time. His ‘style’, physique and ability to receive the ball (an oft’ overlooked skill in the UK) reminded me of a certain Zizou; I’m not suggesting a comparison but I was impressed by his poise. I’d much rather see him in the team than (for example) Sterling or the Ox.

*Disclaimer*: Not suggesting England are a real top side or contender – more that I was a little surprised and encouraged by what a very young and inexperienced team did against (an admittedly understrength) German side. It needs to be backed up by a strong performance against Brazil

sbob
    Free Member

It were shite.

slackalice
    Free Member

I don’t know why the current U21 & U17 squads aren’t being drafted in.

jimjam
    Free Member

It would be great if there was a thread to talk about all the soccer.

LittleNose
    Free Member

As is my usual form with watching England play footie, I thought I’d watch the first half, and think about what I’d do while the second half was on.

At half time I was surprised that I’d been entertained and stayed to watch the second half… more entertainment… pleasantly surprised

🙂

angeldust
    Free Member

I don’t know why the current U21 & U17 squads aren’t being drafted in.

Because they are untested at the top level. It’s worth given the top couple of players at those levels a chance though (since it’s largely not happening at the top clubs), which is exactly what they did last night.

moonsaballoon

I enjoyed it which I can’t say for any of the qualifiers. It feels like we’re at a kind of tipping point where we have lots of quality young players yet the reality of the premier league means that some of them won’t get the opportunities they need to progress .
    I think the best thing for the World Cup would be to basically pick the English spurs players and fill in the gaps with the younger players to give them experience and somehow try to send them there with no pressure or expectations .
    I really hope Pickford keeps his place for Brazil

theotherjonv

The U17’s and U21’s look very promising but they’d get murdered at this level, I’d love to see them getting chances to develop but the people that work with these players day in day out at EPL and Championship Clubs don’t pick them for first team games because they know they aren’t ready. Sure there are exceptions – there was a lad some 10-15 years ago at Everton that played at 16 or thereabouts but what became of him, probably still at Everton 😉 – but I trust the judgement of the coaches on this one (lord knows why at times though)

theotherjonv

I think the best thing for the World Cup would be to basically pick the English spurs players and fill in the gaps with the younger players to give them experience and somehow try to send them there with no pressure or expectations .

I’ve long said that 2 years is too short to build international teams. If you have a strong and stable squad then 2 years allows time to clear out the old and replace with new bit by bit, but we need a total rebuild. OK, we’re in the WC now and we have to try and make a fist of it, but if we don’t (and I have low expectations) then I’d ‘write off’ the next Euros; start from new, rebuild and give players experience as 19/20/21 year olds so when the next WC comes they are in their prime. If we bodge qualification for the Euros as a result, so be it. Trouble is the public and press demand results and can’t see beyond the next tournament, so the manager is constantly at the wrong end of a bad result and sacking.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘England v Germany’ is closed to new replies.