• This topic has 31 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by juan.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Enduro/Back country FS bike.
  • juan
    Free Member

Hi all

Is 140mm of rear travel the norm? Is there such thing as a 120mm travel enduro/back country bike anymore?

Cheers

druidh
    Free Member

What’s an enduro/back country bike? Are there not enough niches for you already?

scruff
    Free Member

Are you making words up, do you mean a mountain bike?

scruff
    Free Member

Orange ST-4.

juan
    Free Member

enduro = back country = all mountain = free ride = whatever you call it.
    It’s just a bike for me.

I’ll have a look to the orange ST4.

druidh
    Free Member

You want “just a bike”? Oh well, in that case there are lots out there with less than 120mm travel. Some have none at all!!

juan
    Free Member

yes druidh I want a FS with around 120mm does it makes sense to you?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

OK some questions.

1) What’s your budget
    2) What will you want to use the bike for (be honest)

juan
    Free Member

1 no idea I would say around 2500€
    2 use it to ride it (sorry not helping) up and down anywhere but most likely in the south of France.

molgrips
    Free Member

Kona Four. And I wouldn’t call it ‘back-country’, not sure Kona do either but there you go 🙂 Damn nice bike all the same.

Kit
    Free Member

Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Pro/Carbon
    Trek Fuel EX9

Don’t Whyte do a 120mm bike too? All I can see is there E-120 which is carbon and way out of juan’s budget.

Wookster

TBh dont think you can beat a five its a brill bike really. But if 120mm is what you want stumpy or a trek ex are all about that and are really good bikes the st4 has a good review in dirt a few months back buts it also on the orange home page mate.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

What about a Kona Dawg? Fairly beefy build (Well, enough for a little Frenchman, anyway ;o) and there’s loads in the sales all the time

🙂

juan
    Free Member

Wookster yes I have seen it. Peter, the dawg has too much travel I am looking around 120 because my FR bike has 125mm and I can’t really commit myself to buy something with more travel. But I agree the dawg looks very nice.

I’ll see if I can get my LBS to get the orange has test bike.

druidh
    Free Member

Meta 5?

whytetrash

Whyte E5…last yrs model for Circa £2ish k would seem to fit the bill…not biased at all but love mine…light enough for climbs descends better than me…and bearings last very well…14stone lump not touched them in 20 months(not like friends with intense/Santa cruz). Oh and it doesn’t fill up with water on rides like some Vpp exotica…

taxi25
    Free Member

You don’t need to be blinkerd to a set travel eg 120mm and think any more is to much.Its how you build it up that counts.My Yeti 575 with its 145mm of travel is under 26.5lbs and for me the perfect Enduro, all day, do anything bike.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Juan, Dawgs are 120mm I think
    🙂

juan
    Free Member

druidh meta has 140 mm.

taxi I am not bothered about the weight. 13-15 kg will be just fine. I’ll probably be using DH tyres anyway to avoid punctures.

Peter dawg are now 140 mm 🙁

druidh
    Free Member

juan – Member

druidh meta has 140 mm.

No – it’s 5″ / 130mm. Does that 10mm mean so much to you?

Ah – I guess in your case it probably does….

traildog
    Free Member

Surely geometry and weight have far more to do with the way the bike rides and therefore it’s purpose than how much travel the rear wheel has?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Cotic Hemlock then.
    🙂

lcj

Peter, the dawg has too much travel I am looking around 120 because my FR bike has 125mm and I can’t really commit myself to buy something with more travel.

Have I misread this, or are you looking to buy a bike with 5mm less travel because your current bike is labelled as a ‘FR’ bike and thus couldn’t possibly be ridden for ‘all mountain’ or some other niche tag?

I don’t understand..

druidh
    Free Member

That’ll be two “just a bike”s then??

lcj

That’ll be two “just a bike”s then??

Not in Juan’s eyes, because 5mm more makes it a freeride bike.

I take my hat off the bike companies, they got us (juan) hook line and sinker with their marketing hype here!

grumm
    Free Member

Trance X – Pitch?

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Kona One Twenty? Its just replaced the Four!
    Thanx Max

juan
    Free Member

well I know 5mm won’t make any difference it’s just to make sense. I can’t ride my FR bike at the moment I am way to bad rider.

Plus It’s 15-16 kg and as I don’t ride as much as I use to the 6 hours long rides are getting a bit tiresome. I don’t want to buy another free ride bike, it would be useless my rocky as I won’t be good enough to ride it.
    So I need something a bit easier/lighter with less travel basically. I will keep the rocky for when I get better for shuttle days in Triora.

The orange and the kona one20 look very nice with about the correct amount of travel 100-120) I’ll dig into it.

Peter buying a cotic will be just asking for trouble in terms of warranty (plus it’s way too expensive).

DezB
    Free Member

Trek Fuel 120mm front, 100mm rear
    Cannondale Rush
    Lapierre X-Control 120mm front, 100mm rear

Dr_UpGrade
    Free Member

cotic hemlock fits the bill from what you’re saying you want in my opinion..

traildog
    Free Member

I’m still not really clear on what you want. But I’m guessing something like an Anthem X, Cannondale Rush, Trek Fuel etc. i.e. more a XC-trail bike than a pure all out XC race bike. Going more burly to the pure trailbike/enduro type side of the market seems to give you more travel and weight and is perhaps getting to close to what you are calling your freeride bike, although I’m still not clear what that actually is either?

Like I say, geometry and strength dictates what a bike is for, not rear wheel travel. Loads of choice out there for you.

juan
    Free Member

your freeride bike, although I’m still not clear what that actually is either?

Rocky mountain switch, so a proper free ride bike. It was ok until I came to the UK so I am hoping to be able to ride it again in a couple of month for shortish rides.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Enduro/Back country FS bike.’ is closed to new replies.