Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Enduro – Tell me more please.
  • weeksy

Chatting with Crosshair today and he was suggesting “why don’t you do Enduro”

I like the semi DH aspect of it, thinking it’s like you Blue/Reds at BPW for example. I’m far from fast, but I have a certain amount of control. I do like pushing myself though and really appeals.

Ideally down south (so I assume QECP?) but prepared to travel a bit.

How does the day work ? is it a weekend or just a 1 dayer ? Test runs then qually/race ? etc.

tomhoward

depends on the event.

some its practice and a seeding run on the sat, race on sun
    some there are no seeding runs
    some are practice in the morning, race in the afternoon

weeksy

Anywhere I can get dates/location for upcoming events ?

njee20
    Free Member

Southern Enduro series. I’m always tempted to try one!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Seasons near enough over this year, I think there is one Enduro1 race left at Triscombe in a few weeks, there might be some up north still too though.

Have a look on rootsandrain for a calender.

Generally, even with the smaller regional stuff, you might have a stage that’s as easy as a red at BPW, most are more technical, steeper, harder etc.

weeksy

http://www.enduro1.co.uk/index.php

HobNob, I assume you mean these guys above…

I’ve lobbed them an email for now to see if the events are still running etc.

Njee, thanks….

cloudnine
    Free Member

What colour is your riding kit?? They might not let you enter..

weeksy

I have HOPE team green shorts and a Les Gets jersey, they may even pay me to enter I’m THAT cool.

njee20
    Free Member

There are some at QECP too, although don’t appear to be any left this year. Scottfitz of this parish organises them IIRC, there’s also the Gravity Project Honey Series or something, which are like mini enduros, think they do some in this general neck of the woods.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The Gravity Project run the little grassroots DH races, not Enduro stuff, the QECP lot do their own Enduro races, although they have finished for this year. To confuse things the Gravity Project lot have run some DH races at QE though, in conjunction with the QECP bunch.

Yes that’s the lot, they have a Facebook page where the info is on, the race as far as I’m aware is on still in about 3/4 weeks time?

weeksy

Never having ridden over in the Quantocks I don’t know if this race would be at my level of ability or whether I’d just be setting myself up for something way out of my abilty to even get down !

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I did my first enduro at Grizedale in May. Didn’t know what to expect, didn’t do any ‘training’, just turned up as if I was going to have a normal ride. Loved every bit of it. Really quite technical in places mixed in with some normal trail centre type stuff.

Things I learnt:
    – keep pedalling. Pedal through every stage like a lunatic. Don’t get to a fire-road, sit down and pootle. Fkn mash the pedals like a loony. Don’t rest.
    – don’t get to a section that looks super techy, stop and have a think. You’re in a race. Keep pedalling.
    – practise every stage even if you think you know what its like. See above. Its not always what it seems.
    – wear bright clothes and buy yellow wheels. It makes you faster. This is a scientifically proven fact.

Gisburn round on Sunday which looks like the weather is going to be good for and then the final round in a few weeks time at Lee Quarry/Cock Hill.
    Already looking forward to next year and getting a full series in (along with giving me time to buy some brighter clothes/wheels to make me faster).

Northwind

It Depends- one of the best, and worst things is that enduro’s really flexible but that also means you don’t always know what you’re going to get.

Most commonly ime it’s a race day without quali or seeding, and optional (but pretty essential) practice the day before, unless it’s a specific no practice race) Basically the innerleithen mtb racing format, well proven and pretty widely adapted.

Some events seed in various ways- sometimes random, sometimes by a seeding stage. (I don’t rate either tbh)

njee20
    Free Member

or whether I’d just be setting myself up for something way out of my abilty to even get down

This is my concern!

The Gravity Project run the little grassroots DH races, not Enduro stuff

Ah yes, you’re right now I think, I’m getting confusled as they both use QECP.

weeksy

Looking on Youtube at the vids from what I assume is a previous round, it all like pretty viable. Even more so for you. It looks like a slightly trickier Gorrick.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=quantocks+enduro

If you fancy it mate, let me know and we can meet up and chat there etc. I’m pretty sure i’ll enter now 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

I can’t do that one sadly, definitely up for giving one a go though! Would need to procure a more appropriate bike, not sure my 19lb carbon hardtail would be the ideal tool!

weeksy

I’m lucky that I have the appropriate bike… it’s the 19lb Carbon HT I’m missing 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Swap!?

weeksy

You’re more than welcome to borrow it for an event such as this mate. Obviously assuming we’re not both doing it.

pete68
    Free Member

Thought you were swapping your commencal for a solaris? Have you had a change of heart?

weeksy

pete68 – Member

Thought you were swapping your commencal for a solaris? Have you had a change of heart?

Yes Pete, after riding it at BPW I decided I can’t get rid and need to keep. Plan longer term is a Solaris/FF29 etc once we move house and get a garage, but currently the Commencal is staying.

njee20
    Free Member

Cheers for the offer mate, I should be able to procure a Spesh Stumpjumper or Enduro or something with a bit of notice, so shouldn’t be too much of an issue!

superfli
    Free Member

End of October there is the RedKite enduro rd 3 up in Mid Wales.
    http://redkite-events.co.uk/event.php?id=20

2 day event – although there is an option of just the Sunday.
    UKGE events have finished now, but from the 2 rounds I did this year, they are certainly more technical and far longer than the smaller events I have done. Transitions are tighter too.

Only 2 QECP Enduros this year and I expect the same next year. Be really quick to sign up though, they sell out in a matter of days!

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Weeksy,

I’ve also contemplated the Quantocks one but can’t afford to enter it. I am entered into the red kite one though with 2 friends. None of us have raced before.

If for whatever reason you don’t end up going to the Quantocks come along to the red-kite one and be clueless with us!

Email in profile 🙂

superfli
    Free Member

Red Kite one has free beer and pasta party 😛

kimbers

enduro1 events are a good starter, still one left this year

i think theyve sorted earlier issues, 1 day race no practice?
    http://www.enduro1.co.uk/shop/

minienduro has one race left in november 1 day eventbut you can practice onthe day and i think camp over and practise the day b4 too
    https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/108508/One-Industries-Mini-Enduro—Forest-of-Dean-November-2014#entry

weeksy

That’s my birthday weekend. Not sure if that’s a good thing or bad. Ha ha.

Forest of Dean one may work better.

Thanks again.

jam-bo

i think theyve sorted earlier issues, 1 day race no practice?
    http://www.enduro1.co.uk/shop/

Yep but there was lots of grumbling at the last one as the course was taped on the Friday.

Grogley was pretty steep in places but nothing too stupid. Quantocks round should be fun but there’s plenty of steep, techy rooty stuff that’ll be a challenge if it’s wet.

I’m trying to get a team entry together but it’s like herding cats at the moment.

weeksy

Oh. I seem to have entered the one here.

http://www.enduro1.co.uk/race4-2014.php

weeksy

Question time then guys…

It states if I get to a ‘special stage’ section later there are penalties and rules for overtaking etc. But what happens if I get to them early ? Am I then just held there till my scheduled release ?

It states you have a set time to reach the stage, what’s the usual sort of pacing to get to the next Special stage ? Do I have to ride like a loony, or a gentle generic XC bimble do it ?

I’m sure all of this makes LOTS of sense when you’re there.. but jumping in feet first it’s all a smidgen confusing.

kimbers

You just have to wait for your start, transition times vary from race to race, but a steady xc pace is usually enough but that’s all relative I suppose

weeksy

So, getting in between stages, is there any point overtaking the rider in-front then ? I’m assuming not really. Esepcially if they’ve done it before and have a good idea on transition times/speeds.

jam-bo

Pace was fairly easy on the last round of enduro1. If you get there early you get to have a sit down, chill out and get ready for your run.

weeksy

JAm,

What were the runs like in technicality and length ?

jam-bo

Anywhere from 2mins, steep DH runs to 7min pedal-fests.

Quantocks should be fun.

Olly
    Free Member

Oreoaeaneaeannaaeena Andy has just postedd a photo on facebook of a fat bike at this weekend’s round of the SW series.

In my limited experience It differs from DH racing in that the track can be ridden on any bike. A 5″-6″ travel full susser will excel though.

Always struck me as being like car rallying. Get to the start in time (but no rush) and then race the fun bit. Very sociable, very good format. I think it is around to stay, on the weekend warrior scene.

Generally the saturday is practice, the sunday is the timed day (i think!)

juan
    Free Member

well there is two EWS rounds in the UK next year, may be worth a try.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Did Gisburn PMBA today first stage was quite pedally.

weeksy

How was the event overall?

I’m not scared of a pedal. Its the tech stuff that worries me more

joefm

It can all be ridden as long as you are competant. There are no large jumps and drops to deal with. It is not DH racing so it is probably less technical.

Just enter one. You’ll be fine. Plenty of differing abilities as well.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Enduro – Tell me more please.’ is closed to new replies.