Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • End of 'Cycle to Work Scheme' – a question re: 'fair market valuation'
  • marsdenman
    Free Member

MrsMM bought herself a Brompton last year and, fair play, until she had a big off of the main road, she did use it for commuting – even getting chatted up on the train by other Brompton users 😉

Anyways – she’s now fretting as the scheme organisers (for the NHS) are asking for a photo of said bike to help in establishing Fair Market Value.
    Scheme managers e-mail even says they’ve never yet charged anyone more than the original estimated value but Mrs MM is insisting we all but cover the bike in mud etc before we take a photo but, its a road bike = clean…
    I figure the photo is only really there to prove you’ve not already sold it?
    Is she worrying too much?

wombat

Or use a photo of a (different but) battered Brompton of the right colour…….not that I’m encouraging this sort of questionable behaviour or owt

angryratio
    Free Member

take it out on your local offroad route, then photograph it next to a copy of a Telegraph or something with a headline about scandal on it.

hopkinsgm

HMRC guidance on fair market values here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim21667a.htm
    Photo will be for assessment of condition. Employers can choose to use lower values than the percentages suggested by HMRC, but need to provide evidence why – e.g. excessive wear and tear, paint chips, etc.

chojin
    Free Member

What about if it was stolen 6 weeks after you got the bike and didn’t have insurance? Would the value of the bike be zero?

Drac

Sounds the same as mine, just take a pic and fill in the rest of the details including condition and mileage. I’ve still not heard back though.

convert

and didn’t have insurance

Could you have insured a bike that was not actually yours yet?

chojin
    Free Member

I guess not – a good technical point?
    either way no insurance so nothing I could do anyway!

nedrapier

convert – Member
    and didn’t have insurance

Yes, you’ve got an insurable interest. terms of the C2W contract stipulate that you must insure it.

Edit: mine does, anyway.

Drac

Of course you can how else do people insure cars on HP.

charliedontsurf

Don’t clean it and supply close ups of every scratch and ding.
    Add notes detailing the mechanical issues: untrue wheels, wheels too small, worn hubs etc etc.
    Supply a quote from your lbs for repair and servicing.

That should discourage an over-valuation.

convert

Good point – didn’t think about hp cars. First part of an insurance claim seems to involve proof of ownership – I guess you would send them a copy of the C2W paperwork rather than your reciepts?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘End of 'Cycle to Work Scheme' – a question re: 'fair market valuation'’ is closed to new replies.