Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Elton John . (Not dead!)
  • zippykona

What do you think is is finest moment?
    If he had died though in the late 70s his legacy would have been far more appreciated than it is now.
    This song would have easily sat on Exile On Main Street.
    [video]https://youtu.be/f9sP_rt9c_k[/video]

RobHilton
    Free Member

I’m still standing, and he is!

martinhutch

Can’t beat a bit of Tiny Dancer

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al8UHnjusq0[/video]

Bunnyhop

Captain Fantastic and the Brown dirt Cowboy (John/Taupin) 1975.
    Reg’s finest hour.

DezB
    Free Member

This was his finest hour

grahamt1980

His role in kingsman 2. You could hear a pause in the cinema when he first appeared as everyone tried to work out of it was really him.
    Good role too

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

As above, brilliant in Kingsman 2

BoardinBob

Madman Across the Water

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I’ve been an Elton John fan since about 1971. I was on a school outward bound course and Your Song was on a jukebox and I must have ploughed a small fortune into that thing playing it over and over.

The Madman Across the Water album just came out and I bought Elton John, Tumbleweed Connection and the Empty Sky albums in short order too.

Then Honky Chateau, Don’t Shoot Me and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road came out within the sapce of a year and I think that’s when his career and fame really took off with the singles off those albums.

Interesting that a lot of people name Tiny Dancer as their favourite track but it was never a single in the UK. It was really its use in the film “Almost Famous” that brought it more to the public consciousness.

It was written about Bernie Taupin’s first wife, she was the “seamstress for the band”.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tiny dancer, has everything.

aracer
    Free Member

Oi, stop putting spoilers in the thread title!

chestrockwell

His bo selecta appearances were his finest hour.

Now get out of my way….

Poopscoop

Always been a sucker for Rocket Man.

Warning, this video will annoy Brexiteers!

YouTube

NZCol

He played at a party I was at last year (!) , mesmerised frankly. What a legend. Rocketman for me.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Not a huge fan ..but a few songs remind me of certain periods in my life ..
    Goodbye Yellowbrick Road
    Saturday Nights ( alright for fighting)
    Nikita..

Rockape63
    Free Member

Captain Fantastic and the Brown dirt Cowboy (John/Taupin) 1975.
    Reg’s finest hour.

Yep! Grew up with Elton’s music and that for me was the album that nailed it.

Bunnyhop

Forzafkawi – Bernie and Elton were both on a Jonnie Walker special recently. Interestingly Bernie denied that tiny dancer was written about his 1st wife.

I met Elton at a backstage party in the mid 1980’s. He was stoned but charming, witty, with so much charisma.

Love his albums but not his singles, apart from sacrifice.

jonnyrobertson

I love Out Of The Blue, the outro music to the original Top Gear. Proggy as owt.

bodgy
    Free Member

Newland Avenue, Hull, early 90’s, there was some large painted graffiti across the gable wall of a house that read:

“Elton John is #1”

A little further up Newland Avenue:

“Elton John is still #1”

It was there for the entire 7 years that I lived in Hull.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Bunnyhop – Member

Forzafkawi – Bernie and Elton were both on a Jonnie Walker special recently. Interestingly Bernie denied that tiny dancer was written about his 1st wife.

I didn’t get this off any web source. I’m sure I saw Elton (probably) being interviewed many, many years ago when he said it was about Bernie’s wife. Maybe Bernie’s a bit embarassed about it now that they have split to avoid royalties! 🙂

EDIT: Actually, just thinking about it, why would you have a line like “Seamstress for the band” if you weren’t thinking about someone specific when writing the song? May not have been his wife of course.

sadmadalan

This will always be a memory, especially when he played it live on TOTP in days when everything was mimed

Song For Guy

kormoran
    Free Member

Bit of a ‘closet’ fan here as everyone seems to laugh at me when I mention his stuff. Certainly not keen on later(by that I mean 90s onwards) but for me the earlier stuff is superb. Danny Bailey -Yellow Brick Road, just a brilliant song. In fact Yellow Brick Road is all superb

BillMC

His tribute song to Mother Theresa: Sandals in the Bin

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Elton John . (Not dead!)’ is closed to new replies.