Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Electrician content…Bathroom Extractor fan issues!
  • gustard_cannet
    Free Member

Right, my brain is hurting now because I can’t get my head around this….
    My old bathroom fan had intermittent issues, when turning it on (separate switch to the lights) it would spin for a couple of seconds then stop. I’ve fitted a new fan, and I still have the same issue? I’ve taken the fused switch apart and everything seems in order, also fitted new fuses?

Anyone know what might be going on?

spectraken
    Free Member

Are the switch contacts in the fused connection unit a bit duff? I’ve seen switches which are knackered and momentarily make contact when you turn them into the on position but keep the contacts closed. Easiest way to check is temporarily wire the fan onto the supply side of the FCU bypassing the switch. good luck!

Swelper
    Free Member

Is it on a timer ?

gustard_cannet
    Free Member

I’ve given the contacts a clean where the fuse sits, the fan has a timer on it which I’ve twiddled either way but to no avail, I think there may be some voltage drop transistor somewhere?

spectraken
    Free Member

if the brand new fan is showing the same problems as the old one, i reckon it’s the fcu. Wiring up the fan directly to the supply side (obviously turn the power off first) will confirm that.

tjagain

I agree with spectraken – its a fault on a switch

Stuart
    Free Member

There may be a separate humidistat hiding somewhere or if it’s a 12v fan the transformer may have other controls ?

rmacattack
    Free Member

yeah , did you fit a new tranny as well if its a 12v ?. think the guys above are right, dodgy rocker on the switch. or possibly a slightly loose main in the connector at the light, assuming the feed isnt direct to the switch?

gustard_cannet
    Free Member

No haven’t fitted a tranny yet, I haven’t located it either! Is there a usual place where these are? There isn’t anything near the switch or fan?

senorj

I’ll bet the switched live on the fan switch is loose/corroded. Try a new switch .

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Electrician content…Bathroom Extractor fan issues!’ is closed to new replies.