Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • efficient/effective room heaters
  • swoosh
    Free Member

we have a 25 ft living room with just 1 radiator all the way at one end so the other end can be quite chilly. we have a live gas fire at the non-radiatored end but that’s not very practical to leave on all the time som we’re were thinking of getting another radiator put in but reckon that’ll be costly so now thinking of getting a heater for that end of the room, but which to get? oil filled, fan, convection?

which form of heater is most effective and efficient?

Junkyard
    Free Member

you have a fire and want to install a heater next to it …can I ask WHY?
    Gas is much cheaper than electric for heating so switch the fire on when you switch a heater on surely

EDIT:it is a tiny graph on the website sorry

Houns

Parents use one of these in their conservatory (4m x 12m) and it’s blimmin warm

http://www.aircomfortcentre.com/productdetail.aspx?pid=a606524e-2693-4a57-a3b8-51b5d460819b

swoosh
    Free Member

you have a fire and want to install a heater next to
    it …can I ask WHY?

because we can set a timer on the heater to come on before we wake up and before we get home rather than waiting the hour for it to heat the large room up.

I realise electricity is more expensive than gas but surely it’ll take a long time of using electricity to reach the cost of putting in a new radiator..

totalshell

why do you think a rad fitted will be costly?.. rads are cheap valves are cheap only time and expense is spent getting water to the thing..

do you have floor boards do the joists run the length of the room is there space under the joists.. all simple q’s normally i’d say 300 max if simples

there are some new water filled eletric heaters ( standalone rads) which have decent uptput but the cheapest is circa 400

takisawa2

Sounds like my Mum. Wont put the heating on but will run a 3kw electric fire “just to warm the room”. Horse to water etc.

Put a rad in.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Put in a bigger/double rad at the end that has one already or wear a sweater.

swoosh
    Free Member

do you have floor boards do the joists run the length of the room is there space under the joists.. all simple q’s normally i’d say 300 max if simples

The floor is concrete so no floor boards at all.

There is a radiator in the hall on the opposite side of the wall from where we would put a small rad in.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

joolsburger – Member
    Put in a bigger/double rad at the end that has one already or wear a sweater.
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

This – a radiator will, well, radiate the heat. Get a decent K2 at the right size for the room and all should be fine.

andyl
    Free Member

+1 for bigger rad.

Screwfix have 1/3rd off at the moment.

swoosh
    Free Member

the rad in there currently is a single layer one about 600 x 1500mm. is that not big enough to heat the room (in theory)?

ransos
    Free Member

This – a radiator will, well, radiate the heat. Get a decent K2 at the right size for the room and all should be fine.

Actually, radiators heat mainly through convection. That’s what the fins on the back are for.

On a less pedantic note, we’ve had a couple of radiators moved in our house – I don’t recall it costing too much.

ransos
    Free Member

the rad in there currently is a single layer one about 600 x 1500mm. is that not big enough to heat the room (in theory)?

We changed a single rad for a double of the same dimensions – it made a huge difference to the room temp.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

1500mm single sounds small for a 25 foot room but there are lots more variables.

Try http://www.radcalcs.com/

Stick your room in and it’ll tell you BTUs.
    Then look up your radiator and see if it’s rated high enough and what size is recommended.

We fitted a bigger double panel rad and a TRV so that the rad cuts off when the room is at temperature. It made a massive difference – room heats up quicker and is now comfortable to be in.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Actually, radiators heat mainly through convection. That’s what the fins on the back are for.

Aye you are certainly not wrong there. And that is the one benefit of a newer K2 style radiator over an old flat single one.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘efficient/effective room heaters’ is closed to new replies.