Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Editing GoPro stuff – what free editing suite?
  • DickBarton

…or is there one? I have the GoPro CineWorld software but it only allows a conversion from MP4 to AVI or MOV – which both create much larger files sizes…I just want to chop off the head and tail of each MP4, stick them together and then cut out the boring bits – given the fact I’ve got about 100 minutes of footage, I’m hoping to get about 5 minutes of ‘decent’ stuff.

I’ve used Final Cut Pro and Premiere but don’t have either at home and I’m expecting this to have worn off after this edit, so is there a free software suite that will work in a similar fashion to Final Cut Pro i.e. allow me to select my MP4 files, drop them into a working area, chop the bits I don’t want and then output the final thing in a format that would work (not sure what that is, want it small filesize but good quality) – the 100 minutes stuff comes to around 12Gb and I only have 15Gb of disc space!!! So if I can get these files into a single location and cut out the chaff, I then get a smaller file with the bits I want and can delete the ‘master’ stuff.

I was at Laggan today with a demo GoPro from my LBS and was somewhat surprised by the numbe of people who ride with a GoPro…I think I saw about 30 other rides and almost half of them had a camera on their chest/bike or head. After playing with it today I’m not convinced I’d have one myself – so far the footage has confirmed that I really can’t ride for toffee and have no finesse – and I’m not needing to be reminded of that via video footage!

Cheers.

mrdestructo

You could create a ‘persistent’ copy of Linux Mint on a USB flash drive, install updates and then several of the free video editing softwares available to see what you get on with, then boot off the drive and use your hard drive as working space. They are finally starting to come along, but don’t expect Sony Vegas.

http://ubuntustudio.org/ I’ve not tried this flavour of Ubuntu myself, although it is custom built to handle editing out of the box. Googling seems to suggest problems with persistency with past builds and it’s using Ubuntu 12.04 which is flawed.

cbike
    Free Member

Someone mentioned this recently on here. Not a clue if its any good. http://www.lightworksbeta.com/

colournoise

Bog standard Ubuntu bootable ‘persistent’ install on a USB stick (instructions on Ubuntu site) with KDenlive installed. Best by a long way of all the Linux non-linear editors I’ve tried – it’s obviously not Final Cut or Premiere but is heading in that direction and is more than capable of ‘semi-pro’/serious hobbyist results.

slainte 😀 rob

SammyC
    Free Member

If you do go the Kdenlive route (and it is good once you learn its quirks) use the developer’s PPA rather than the default ubuntu one as its much more current and much more capable/stable.

hugor
    Free Member

Windows Live Movie Maker? It does basic cropping/joining, simple transitions and is very easy to use.

DickBarton

I have windows movie maker but it won’t import .mp4 files…what is windows live movie maker?

colournoise

‘live’ is the Windows 7 version of Movie Maker.

Not as good as the ‘classic’ versions IMHO, but IIRC will handle HD and more different file formats.

slainte ➡ rob

samuri
    Free Member

Or, try Sony Movie Studio HD. It’s not free but once you get it you’ll see why.

£24 seems like a good deal to me.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003L51CZ8/ref=asc_df_B003L51CZ87142300?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B003L51CZ8

hugor
    Free Member

Windows Live Movie Maker does work with the mp4 files that my GoPro creates.
    I find most of the other programs a bit complicated.
    I also take your point about how watching your own riding is a bit humiliating.
    Its also hard to show anyone else your clips when the internet is full of people doing insane things. Anything I produce is no comparison and not the least bit impressive.

DickBarton

My PC is XP SP3 but the wife’s laptop is Windows 7 and has the newest Movie Maker on it…just spent 30 minutes chopping my footage and merging into 1…I do look blooming boring but I also appear to be riding things faster than I thought I did…so not all bad. Would probably be much better if it wasn’t just me on the ride…

However, I’ve now got a system that I can edit the footage and now attempt to make it look like it has a wee bit of interest.

Thanks for the advice, if I get into this a bit more I’ll go for the Sony software…happy to pay if I’m going to be using it regularly i.e. more than once.

martinxyz
    Free Member

martinxyz
    Free Member

..I also appear to be riding things faster than I thought I did.

One of the reasons why I don’t want to spend all that money making myself look faster than I really am. It would make my slow riding look good but it’s not really what I’m into.

Roll on the production of the Gopro with a lens that shows it like it is.

DickBarton

You mean I wasn’t actually that fast??? Bottoms…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Editing GoPro stuff – what free editing suite?’ is closed to new replies.