Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Edinburgh Pentlands Wednesday Ride – 27th April
  • 7hz
    Free Member

Anyone up for a ride this Wednesday?

Think my knee has almost recovered from last week, and will now be wearing full body armour and be packing 3000 lumens to set fire to the heather and melt any rocks in my path.

7pm sharp at the Bonaly shop?

{whispers} forecast looks fantastic, conditions should be 100%…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Should be. 6.30 at lochin basin outside Cargo

ahhhjrene
    Free Member

I will try and be at the basin at 18:30

stevemtb
    Free Member

Can’t make it this week, half day booked for a long outing in the Tweed Valley 😀

Definitely be back out very soon, probably next weekend. Pedal marks on the back of my legs might have faded a bit by then too!

bigjim

Might make it, feeling a bit peely wally today though, sod’s law given the weather and being off work 😐

Northwind

Sounds good to me, I’ll be out anyway so should be able to swing by Bonaly for 7.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’ll be heading out at 6.30 from Bonaly if anybody wants an earlier/faster ride.

robgarrioch

Unfortunately not this week, darn family coming back and all 🙂

Ground was pretty dry around White Hill on Monday, I’m sure there’ll still be some muddy bits if y’all look hard enough though!

DrT
    Free Member

I should be along this evening, see you all at Lochrin Basin.

7hz
    Free Member

robgarrioch – Ground was pretty dry around White Hill on Monday, I’m sure there’ll still be some muddy bits if y’all look hard enough though!

The trick is to let TandemJeremy ride in front – if you see his back wheel go over his head, you know there is a muddy bit there 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bah!

debaser

Aye, I should be along tonight, been far too long since I’ve been out in the Pentlands.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

will also be going out at 7 due to pre pre ride faff.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ha! Hope we ain’t too slow for you 😉 Or you could give me atow up the climbs

7hz
    Free Member

Or do each climb twice!

epicsteve
    Free Member

I looped up into the Pentlands this morning and conditions were good – Pistachio was fine if you’re heading that way.

Just about to leave the office and trying to decide if I can face the climb up past Currie Kirk into the Pentlands or just go straight home instead!

bigjim

I think I’m going to have to pass as have the lurgy, might drive to castlelaw and ride around a bit from there though, so might bump into you

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Grand ride out chaps

Northwind

That was lovely, cheers folks!

mustard
    Free Member

Will try and make it out next week if I can break the spell the skinny tyres have cast on me the last couple of weeks.

That’s if my Hemlock is even still talking to me 😳

7hz
    Free Member

Good ride! Always good to see new trails I hadn’t even considered…

Next Wednesday, I have plans to go down to Glentress with some pals, meeting at 7pm in the bottom carpark, if anyone fancies it.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

crawled into the chippy after ten. flew down black hill in fading light, brilliant. wee bit tired this morning.

druidh
    Free Member

STOP THAT MAN!!! HE HAS MY BIKE!!!!!

epicsteve
    Free Member

Is that the track down towards Thriepmuir from Hare Hill?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yup

epicsteve
    Free Member

Cheers. Not been down there in a while. Did you take the track over Hare Hill from Green Cleugh and if so how dry was it?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Up green cleugh to beyond the waterfall then left up a steep track and onto the vague track that goes round behind hare hill. Usually very wet – one or two boggy patches but remarkably dry on the whole

debaser

cheers folks. A lovely evening and a fantastic ride (except the uphill bits, I sucked at those)

Kudos to those that rode that climb out of Green Cleugh.

TJ – I’m afraid the verification of your warp speed down Beech Avenue failed. I plugged in the phone before shutting down the GPS app on the phone which, I have now discovered, causes the host PC to mount the SD card before the app has a chance to write the data. anyway, sorry 😳 you’ll have to try another day.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Arrggghhh 🙂

Never mind – it was just to prove to Druidh that its easily possible to top 40 down there. 43 on the bike speedo which is not that far out I am sure.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Cheers TJ – I’ll probably work that into a ride at the weekend.

Possibly my favourite Pentlands ride is from Balerno then over Maidens, along to Green Cleugh, over Hare Hill then down to the top of Parabolic, back into Green Cleugh, down Black Hill then home via the Nail Trail.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Kudos to those that rode that climb out of Green Cleugh.

I’ve never ridden or seen it ridden all the way to the top.

I’ve got tracks from my Garmin showing 40mph down Beech Avenue – it’s not difficult and I’m usually up to that sort of speed on it if there aren’t walkers on it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Getting that far south is a bit far for me – even with minimal diversions I rode 30 miles last night

Parabolic? Beach ave / exponential hill?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Garry Lager rode the whole of that climb last night. Impressive. I got about halfway before collapsing in a wheezing heap

Druidh refused to believe I could easily top 40 mph down there. Glad to get confirmation

epicsteve
    Free Member

Parabolic? Beach ave / exponential hill?

All names for the same hill.

ojom
    Free Member

Never mind – it was just to prove to Druidh that its easily possible to top 40 down there. 43 on the bike speedo which is not that far out I am sure

bearing in mind it’s hard enough getting over 40mph on a road bike without a good stretch of hill i still reckon your speedo is way off.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

tbc –

epicsteve – Member

I’ve got tracks from my Garmin showing 40mph down Beech Avenue – it’s not difficult and I’m usually up to that sort of speed on it if there aren’t walkers on it.

Its very easy to hit 40+ down there. Its not the length of the hill its thE steepness –

robgarrioch

Hmm, think I’ll combine 1st half of last weeks ride with the 2nd half of this weeks, if I’m lucky enough to be allowed out at the weekend…
    Thought it would be a spiritual one last night 🙄

pixelmix
    Free Member

Its very easy to hit 40+ down there. Its not the length of the hill its thE steepness –

Tsk tsk. What a waste of some fine rooty singletrack on Beech Avenue.

Pint of beer to the first person to do 40mph down the path on either side of the hill (without face planting), or alternatively 40mph to the first person to do 40mph up the hill.

debaser

What a waste of some fine rooty singletrack on Beech Avenue.

Absolutely, it may be quicker on the tarmac but nowhere near as much fun.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgh Pentlands Wednesday Ride – 27th April’ is closed to new replies.