Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Edinburgh commuters
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

On the way to work this morning a bloke rode clean through all the reds at 6-8mph. He didn’t look the type as he had a hi-viz coat on.

was he a DFL or is this the way things are going?

I’ll have a stern word for him next time.

bigjim

Whats a DFL? I see quite a lot of fakengers going through reds these days, presumably they haven’t figure out how to trackstand or unclip yet.

cynic-al
    Free Member

“Down From London”.

I suspect they think the few seconds they save is more important than the reputaion of us law-abiding cyclists.

GW
    Free Member

I always ride through red too, didn’t realise there were **** with speed guns looking for us.

Which stern word were you thinking of Al? may I suggest “Flange”?

whippersnapper
    Free Member

shall I bite…….nope

warton
    Free Member

unless you can say you have never broken a law when cycling you havem’t got a leg to stand on.

soobalias
    Free Member

the hi viz suggests a nodder

they have to keep going as without the momentum they get nowhere, red lights dont apply to nodders or hipsters

cynic-al
    Free Member

warton – Member
    unless you can say you have never broken a law when cycling you havem’t got a leg to stand on.

BS!

GW, I am disappointed, but not surprised, do you have traffic lights in East Lothian? 😀

timangus
    Free Member

A year or two ago I shouted at a similarly hi-vis jacketed person (maybe they think it’s some kind of mythical protection cloak?) for riding through some reds. This person ignored me, but the helmet-less fixie/SS rider waiting patiently along side me exclaimed “It’s a free country!”.

Rarely have I heard such concentrated stupidity.

GW
    Free Member

just the one set here at the bridge.

if they’re red I always ride straight through and if a vehicle approaches I’ll hop onto the kerb. it’s uphill at each end of the bridge and there’s no way I’m using any more effort than necessary.

bigjim

shall I bite…….nope

london has made thee soft!

Hi viz doesn’t mean they “know what they are doing”, the same way the guy with all the kit and nice bike in the Pentlands a couple of weeks ago who kept doing massive skids when he stopped didn’t know what he was doing. Probably someone off here!

cynic-al
    Free Member

How quaint 😉 Quite different to the dangers of Princes Street then.

GW
    Free Member

what good did shouting at him do Tim?

“get a life” would have been more appropriate.

GW
    Free Member

funny thing about skids, if you know how to do them properly they actually cause less erosion than climbing in damp conditions.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Depends whether you know how to climb in damp conditions Shirley ❓

GW
    Free Member

nope

bigjim

yous are weird.

Pieface

Whats wrong with hi-viz?

stevemtb
    Free Member

Phew, never had a high-viz on this morning so it wasn’t me!

Which red light was it? It it was at a crossroad it’s pretty daft but there’s a lot of traffic lights it’s easy and fairly safe to get away with a jump (oo eer) – in theory! I’d never do such a thing.

Wasn’t in the Pentlands either last weekend so I think I’ve got away with that one too!

cynic-al
    Free Member

TBF what he did appeared “safe” in that all the ped lights were green. THis was Princes St./Waverley Bridge, the Mound and then Frederick Street.

Nowt wrong with Hi Viz, I just inferred form that that he GAS about his safety.

GW
    Free Member

Just realised there are actually 2 sets of traffic lights in my l’il village but the second’s only a pedestrian crossing and no-one stops for them! do they? There’s always enough room to squeeze past pedestrians as they cross so no need to bother stopping.

cynic-al
    Free Member

GW – Member
    There’s always enough room to squeeze past pedestrians as they cross so no need to bother stopping

That’s how I drive 😎

RRD
    Free Member

I fail to see why you would let it rile you so much.

I recognise that it is cut and dry in terms of the law BUT I used to get ahead of the traffic in order to ensure my safety and I suppose that meant riding through red lights…

I was once absolutely lambasted by a fellow commuter for breaking a red light and I was amazed by his vitriolic abuse (it would appear that I am to blame for all the worlds evils!)

Stuey01
    Free Member

From my observations high vis wearers and hipsters are the most prolific red light offenders down here in That London’s Famous City of London.

Stu_N

In other news, I was told I was “inconsiderate to other riders” yesterday morning. Apparently I should “get some mudguards”.

That was by a random bloke who had been sitting on my wheel for a couple of miles, uninvited and without acknowledging me.

He was pretty much covered in roadsh!t to be fair, but I don’t think the problem was my lack of ‘guards.

If he hadn’t jumped on my wheel and stayed there he would have been just fine.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Stu – what a ****’ prick! Unsafe not least FFS!!!

RRD – Member
    I used to get ahead of the traffic in order to ensure my safety

This allows you a few seconds before being overtaken and back in the traffic.

[b]HOW ON EARTH DOES THIS ADD SIGNIFICANTLY TO YOUR SAFETY[/B][/U] ❓

So much so that you don’t bother anymore? 🙄

Kit
    Free Member

RRD – Member
    I used to get ahead of the traffic in order to ensure my safety

This is pretty much redundant in Edinburgh anyway, and to be honest if you position yourself away from the kerb so that no **** squeezes alongside you then moving away from lights is not a problem.

Regarding the OP – there’s plenty of RLJ in Edinburgh, particularly on my route to uni where seemingly students kids don’t seem to give much consideration for themselves or other road users.

stuartm555
    Free Member

Al – he wasn’t on a muddy fox quantum was he? I saw an old guy on Monday who almost got hit by 2 cars crawling through red lights … He seemed oblivious to anything around him! This was out near HW uni though

druidh
    Free Member

Weird guy I saw today was jumping onto the pavement at any pedestrian crossing which was red-lighted, cycling past it on the pavement (squeezing past/through pedestrians) and then dropping back on to the road.

I was wondering what sort of convoluted judgement system came up with that one 😆

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgh commuters’ is closed to new replies.