• This topic has 39 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by doh.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Ebola Virus
  • Pigface
    Free Member

Sounds horrible are we all going to die?

jam-bo

yes.

but probably not from ebola.

allthepies
    Free Member

It’s 28 days later stuff 😯

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s 28 days later stuff

Oh thank god! Good to know we have a month till it gets here.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As someone who took SARs quite lightly at first, we went on a business trip to Hong Kong where in a 500 room hotel my colleague and I where 2 of only 3 guests I am now much more cautious. I have another friend who picked up a virus on a Chinese flight and was housebound for 4 months.

If we hear of a case in the UK it will massively impact behaviour, there is a 90% death rate. No one in their right mind will risk picking it up. People will not travel, people will not mix socially. Impact on business will be very significant.

binners

Where is Jessica Hyde?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

If we hear of a case in the UK anywhere but Africa

They’ll put some serious effort into a cure as there is money to be made from sick rich people.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Funny how we are horrified by this, yet at the same time making deadly viruses.

Flu research

Accepted that the motives for so doing are genuine, but the safety measures are evidently not foolproof.

scotia
    Free Member

It’s 28 days later stuff

more like ‘outbreak’ stuff.. 🙂

ohnohesback
    Free Member

You’re more at risk from pandemic influenza than Ebola. In order for the disease to worry me it would firstly have to change its vector from contact with infected body fluids to airborne transmission, and then reduce its lethality to 10% or less (For comparison the 1918 Spanish Flu had a 2.5% mortality rate)

So for the time being The Doomster isn’t worried…

willard

Wot he said ^^^

Ebola is a rubbish virus. Requires fluid transfer to infect, gets killed by “normal” hygiene precautions, kills its hosts too well. Flu is a far better agent for a pandemic.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Don’t worry chaps. I have a cure for Ebola virus.

It’s called all out thermonuclear war.

Guaranteed to eradicate the virus.

Side effects include skin burns, loss of infrastructure and prolonged nuclear winter.

nuke

Ebola is a rubbish virus.

Shame as coincidental I ordered The Hot Zone last week; might not be as scary a read now 🙁

bigdawg
    Free Member

the papers and media keep telling us about this 90% death rate but then tell us there have been 640 deaths from over 1200 reported cases, now Im not brilliant at maths but thats not 90%.

Also from the BBC today:

Guinea – 319 deaths, 427 cases
    Liberia – 129 deaths, 249 cases
    Sierra Leone – 224 deaths, 525 cases

Again that doesnt look like a 90% rate.

brassneck

It sounded on the radio that early intervention with standard virus treatments (paracetamol to control temperature, lots of fluids) it wasn’t actually all that virulent and could be fought off by most non risk groups easily.

Sad fact is, even basic treatments like this are hard to come by for much of Africa 🙁

grizedaleforest

In order for the disease to worry me it would firstly have to change its vector from contact with infected body fluids to airborne transmission

Growing concerns over ‘in the air’ transmission of Ebola

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

In the western world, you’re much more likely to die of heart disease than anything else.

Although Binners could be on to something. The Network is now monitoring you. Expect a knock on your door very soon.

grahamt1980

for those dismissing the transmission routes. Go have a look for ebola Reston.
    The thought is that is airborne droplet infection. Ok that one appears to be non disease causing in humans but it is sufficiently close to the others to make me worried.

Mind you am a virologist so it’s in my nature to not like the little sod’s. Even if they are interesting.

Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

Like all of these scares, nothing will happen.

footflaps

It’s called all out thermonuclear war.

Shall we play a game?

seven
    Free Member

so ebola has killed less than 3000 people since it was identified 40 years ago, so not panicking yet.

one question though. it has a potential fatality rate of 90% for those that it infects, but nobody ever says what % of people are susceptible to catching it.

And

bigdawg – Member

the papers and media keep telling us about this 90% death rate but then tell us there have been 640 deaths from over 1200 reported cases, now Im not brilliant at maths but thats not 90%.

best wait till no new case reported and see what final death rate is. Many of those infected could still die between now and next update as it doesn’t kill instantly

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Could do with a good clear out, shame it dosn’t target drivers with stuff hanging from their rear view mirror.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Binners – I’ve found her (and she’s got big norks)!

jolmes
    Free Member

one question though. it has a potential fatality rate of 90% for those that it infects, but nobody ever says what % of people are susceptible to catching it.

Anyone can contract Ebola, it doesnt discriminate against race/sex/capital wealth or anything. Just buggers you up.

AFAIK, the mortality rate can be upto 90% if left untreated, the fact they are catching it earlier and opting for the paracetamol/saline solutions for hydration is preventing quite a few deaths

Seems there are now restrictions on some flights leaving west Africa but only within Africa itself. If someone was infected and got on a place anywhere else and was unlucky enough to be in early stages of the disease with a higher end incubation period, that would essentially be everyone on the plane infected and anyone in contact with the infected geezer too.

If an Outbreak Scenario occurs and the current Ebola evolves into an airborn pathogen affecting humans, then its a pretty messy ending.

Wasn’t Retson the one that evolved into and airborn and affected monkeys but not humans?

Northwind

It’s all right, they’re having a Cobra meeting.

bigdawg – Member

Also from the BBC today:

Guinea – 319 deaths, 427 cases
    Liberia – 129 deaths, 249 cases
    Sierra Leone – 224 deaths, 525 cases

Again that doesnt look like a 90% rate.

Bear in mind that includes people who currently have it and may not survive- whether the 90% is right or not I don’t know but these stats don’t neccesarily address it. (also I see the BBC saying “can reach 90%”)

dannyh
    Free Member

It sounded on the radio that early intervention with standard virus treatments (paracetamol to control temperature, lots of fluids) it wasn’t actually all that virulent and could be fought off by most non risk groups easily.

Sad fact is, even basic treatments like this are hard to come by for much of Africa

And there’s the rub. That’s the reason flu is such a killer in certain places, as well as ‘ordinary’ diarrhoea and other things that us lucky folk can just shrug off with a decent health service, a ‘good’ diet and a lie down.

Pandemic flu is a far bigger worry as is HIV if it can mutate to be able to be transmitted via mosquitos………

derek_starship
    Free Member

Pfft. Imagine a mutate to airborne for the rabies virus. Now that does kill every motherfunster in the room.

binners

Blimey! 😯

project
    Free Member

Be intresting to see how the nhs copes, when it fails quite ofter to stop CDiff and MRSA spreading and causing deaths.

See report on C Diff infection at Betsi cadwalader hospitals Wrexham and North Wales.

seven
    Free Member

jolmes – Member

Anyone can contract Ebola, it doesnt discriminate against race/sex/capital wealth or anything. Just buggers you up.[/quote]

ok I’ll rephrase the question. What % of people will contract the virus but show no symptoms? (20-25 % of people infected with the flu will not show any symptoms)

jolmes
    Free Member

Im guessing, big guess here, that if you have the virus, your body has no antibodies to fight it you’re gonna have symptoms…probably 100%

The symptoms are pretty intense, flu like at first but hemorrhagic internally/externally. You’re gonna know if you’re bleeding from within.

Lots of fear mongering by the UK press atm

tpbiker
    Free Member

In the 3 worst affect countries you have a population of 20 million but so far only 700 have died since Jan. Horrible though the virus is, if it was that contagious you’d expect many more cases given the poor general living conditions and health infrastructure/treatment available.

I’d be keeping an eye out for Nigeria. 150 million folks, if it spreads like wildfire there we may be in trouble.

Interestingly a doctor today said only £2 million had been allocated (recently) to fight the virus by the uk govenment. Thats the daily running costs of one hospital in England apparaently.

jam-bo

Lots of fear mongering by the UK press atm

business as usual then.

I guess there isn’t mega-heatwave/snowpocalypse on the horizon…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I found her

That’s Jessica HyNeS. Thanks Derek, now I don’t know whether to be scared, horny or think of Daisy and start laughing 🙂

Northwind

derek_starship – Member

Pfft. Imagine a mutate to airborne for the rabies virus.

The impact of the Mail headlines alone could mean the end of the human race

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Zombies

Need to eat Brains…need brainz…brains…brainz

No brains on STW so we’re all safe!

CountZero

Frankenstein – Member
    Zombies

Need to eat Brains…need brainz…brains…brainz

No brains on STW so we’re all safe!
    Damn, where’s chewkw when you need him most!

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

Rabies doesn’t kill everyone who gets it the treatment isn’t a walk in the park mind you in fact don’t think there has been a death in anyone who has seeked treatment in Europe since the war at least

chewkw
    Free Member

CountZero – Member
    Damn, where’s chewkw when you need him most!

Are you lot trying to increase my paranoid? I mean I am already surrounded by zombie maggots with no chance of escaping so are you lot suggesting I also have to wear chemical suit when I am flying in two weeks time? 😯

doh
    Free Member

Am I strange to be worried that could be used as a weapon, as it moves into territories controlled by nutters maybe some people might decide that using infected people/materiel might help their cause.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Ebola Virus’ is closed to new replies.