• This topic has 30 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hock.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Ebay Retro-ness
  • fluxhutchinson
    Free Member
    mcmoonter
    Free Member

I had that very bike back in the day. It broke after a weekend of stair riding in Edinburgh’s Old Town with Kevin Dangerous.

Specialized replaced the frame, I still have it. 😀 Though I doubt it’s worth much.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cloud cuckoo

Kevevs
    Free Member

Don’t undestimate the value of nostalgia

coogan
    Free Member

3 grand?! Whoever choses to spend that on an old bike is a complete bellend.

nigelb001
    Free Member

Somebody will buy it – just look at the numpties who buy and collect Kleins.

Kevevs
    Free Member

people do mental things when they have the resources, like spend £900 on a dishwashing machine 😀 Perhaps that particular bike belonged to some rich executive when he was a kid or sommat?

zippykona

I’m flogging some smoke and darts on eBay. Check out what a bloke is flogging some new ones for.

ajantom

Yup, that’s BBCbikes, well known for their….ahem….interesting pricing in retrobike circles.

lank45
    Free Member

£5,000 for this…

Merak

lol’d

martinxyz
    Free Member

You see these coming into bike shops every so often but not often as good cond as this. We just donated a Scott from around 89 in far better condition with shimano/suntour kit to a charity shop!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

This lot always massively overprice stuff. But, they do sell some excellent kit! And some tat.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

3 grand?! Whoever choses to spend that on an old bike is a complete bellend.

I’ve got a 1993 Kona Explosif. The paint, decals and frame mods alone cost me £300.
    It’s absolutely dripping in some of the very best period componentry I could lay my hands on.
    The full bike cost me around £1000 at secondhand prices but I paid for it with a lot of careful trading
    At new prices the wheels alone would have been just over £500

It was then, and is still now, my dream bike. I don’t ride it much. It’s a luxury…. What I WANT, not what I NEED.
    I’m not a fan of early Stumpies, and that one might be overpriced, but its still a real piece of MTB history.

So. Who’s a bellend now?

cynic-al
    Free Member

So. Who’s a bellend now?

Anyone who spends £3k on that.

nealglover
    Free Member

I had one exactly the same in 1988 (insurance replacement) and loved it until it was also stolen in 1990.

I would looooove one now, but can’t see that happening somehow.

And even if I could afford it, 24″ frame !

I couldn’t even see the top of that never mind ride the bloody thing 🙂

falkirk-mark

I suspect if you bought it you would ride it and your rose tinted glasses would soon be sh1t brown tinted after 25 years of constantly refining every single MTB component.

nealglover
    Free Member

(If i had the money, which I dont) I certainly wouldn’t be buying it expecting it to compare with a modern bike.

But, my 1969 Beetle wouldn’t have beaten any modern cars in a road test, but it didn’t stop me from loving it, and I much preferred driving it to the brand new Golf it was parked next to 😉

coogan
    Free Member

Anyone who spends £3k on that.

Wot Al said. Mountain biking history? Couldn’t care less. It’s just an old bike.

falkirk-mark

3 grand for that puts a beetle at 30 grand (assuming approx 3 times new price)

smiff
    Free Member

this is a vintage bike (1930s, same seller, about £600).

those 80s and 90s mountain bikes are just crap old mountain bikes aren’t they. find them in the backs of sheds around the country, no one rides them except as pub bikes because they’re not good for anything.

£15,000 for the Gary Fisher Procaliber with “aggressive race geometry. Other features on this Procaliber are EVO headset sizing”

ok, funny. so EVO has been around for 20 years. price is a typo right? could just be me but the old 26″ mtbs don’t even have any visual appeal. what’s going on.

lank45
    Free Member

I got hold of a GT LTS which I thought was my retro dream bike, road like a dog, didn’t stop or go very well, especially with elastomers both ends. Ended up flogging it to some bloke that collected retro bikes, good luck to him but not for me, maybe hung on a wall though!

eyerideit
    Free Member

Picture of your explosif please PP?

somafunk

Hmm, my rockhopper comp hanging up in my parents garage (where it has been for 21 years) is in better condition than that, perhaps i should cash it in for a couple of £k. anyone want it?. 😉

It was a pinky/red colour and was fitted with full suntour groupset and a stem that came with it’s own separate time zone, i won it from a magazine comp in Mountain Bike Action ran by the uk magazine importers, you had to collect three barcodes from the magazine cover and post them in to get drawn at random – i still remember getting the phonecall to say I’d won a bike…it was presented to me outside my local newsagents, i would scan and post a pic but i had very-very-very bad hair and i was wearing loon pants, loose fit body building style baggy trousers and a Rox t-shirt at the time.

somafunk

This is a proper retro bike, fully restored and for sale if anyone is interested.

Not mine, belongs to a mate, never been rode, built up just for show.

tang
    Free Member

I had that bike in the same colour. Can’t remember what happened to it. I have a feeling my dad chucked it out after I left home!

nealglover
    Free Member

3 grand for that puts a beetle at 30 grand (assuming approx 3 times new price)

You think a new beetle cost £10k in 1969 then ? 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Soma that is a joke right?

hock

That Gary Fisher bike up there is just a great piece of MTB history!

It looked like that at a point of time when most still ran riser bars and short stems (OK they do now again…), looong chainstays and huge frame sizes. It defined the way our bikes would look for years and seeing it in MBA was mind-blowing (at the time (for me)).

(doesn’t justify the 5 digit price, but worthy exhibit for any MTB hall of fame)

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Ebay Retro-ness’ is closed to new replies.