Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • ebay advice
  • dan1980
    Free Member

I bought some shifters off someone on ebay, and the indicator window on the right hand shifter doesn’t work.

They’re SLX, so I can take it off, but as the item was described as “Used…. fully operational and functions as intended.” I feel a little bit cheated that I didn’t get a fully functioning item.

Do I:
    a) Start a paypal dispute
    b) Contact the seller and say “I’m not happy, but if you gift £xxx into my paypal account we’ll forget all about it (how much should I go for?)
    c) Chalk it up to experience just take off the indicator window?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d go b unless it was a cheap item in which case c.

a is overkill.

Oh and he can do a partial refund which refunds his fees also, better than a gift.

dan1980
    Free Member

Was £30 for the pair….

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I’d contact the seller first with something like “I’ve just received the shifters but I’m a little disappointed to find the indicator window isn’t working on one of them.”.

Maybe see what response you get back and take it from there. If he offers you a fiver back then that’s up to you. If he/she however sends the “buyer beware” snotty one I had a while ago then just throw it into dispute. You’ll end up with all your money back probably and the shifters but it is quite a blunt instrument.

retro83
    Free Member

breatheeasy – Member

I’d contact the seller first with something like “I’ve just received the shifters but I’m a little disappointed to find the indicator window isn’t working on one of them.”.

Maybe see what response you get back and take it from there. If he offers you a fiver back then that’s up to you. If he/she however sends the “buyer beware” snotty one I had a while ago then just through in the dispute. You’ll end up with all your money back probably and the shifters but it is quite a blunt instrument.

This. As soon as PayPal gets involved, it’s a ballache IME. Email first and see what he says.

Scamper
    Free Member

I have the same problem with my SLX shifters, and it is a right pain, so i’d get it soughted one way or the other. Have no idea how easy they are to fix either.

toys19
    Free Member

I have a pair of shifter windows I cant remember what model its either slx or xt I’ll take some pics so we can compare and you can have them for a packet of sweets and delivery cost.

mboy
    Free Member

I have the same problem with my SLX shifters, and it is a right pain, so i’d get it soughted one way or the other. Have no idea how easy they are to fix either.

My BRAND NEW SLX shifters did this on their 2nd ride… Took them apart to try and fix it, but to no avail.

It seems that Shimano quality has taken a backwards step on their newer shifters, only about 4 or 5 rides later the return spring on the thumb lever decided to stop working. Then it started working again!

As much as I like having gear windows on myself, it seems Shimano believes that almost everyone will take the gear windows off as they don’t seem to work for very long anyway!

Personally, I don’t think the ebayer is trying to have one over on you. Definitely worth sending him a polite email mentioning the problem, and asking for maybe a fiver compensation to see what he says… But knowing what I do about SLX shifters (why do the shifters have to be so poor, the rest of the groupset is quite frankly fantastic!) I’d chalk it up to experience…

teef
    Free Member

Put it down to experience and realise people only sell junk on ebay – that’s where I flog my knackered old bike kit.

ncfenwick
    Free Member

Remove both shifter windows and forget about it. They look better without IMHO.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘ebay advice’ is closed to new replies.