Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 158 total)
  • E mountain bikes a dilemma
  • epicyclo

tomhoward – Member
    ‘I presume you ride a rigid fixed gear singlespeed’
    Ftfy

That’s definitely fixed it. 🙂

I must apologise though, especially to fergal.

When I posted that it was witty and ironic in my head. Re-reading it I’m not so sure. So if I sounded like an arse, sorry.

BTW once I’m old and frail enough, I’m definitely getting an eBike.

cozz
    Free Member

Okay so a few weeks ago I’m out on my e bike at local trail centre

couple of guys were asking about it. Not long into conversation they mention the old “cheating ” line

I mentioned it allows me to do more miles and therefore have more fun. I explained I had ridden 12 miles to trail centre do about 14 mile route and then the 12 miles home about 38 miles

Asked them.

Turns out they drive to trail centre. Do 9 mile route and then drive home. Which seems pretty
    Commonplace now a days

Sorry who is cheating ?
    And who is getting most exercise?
    And who is having more fun ?

redthunder
    Free Member

Get one if you want, they are great.

I dont ride an e-bike but my father does and it’s the best recent investment he’s taken.

Back on the trails enjoying them again 🙂 …me chasing:-(

He is 77.

PS I like the carbon mondraker e-bike and spesh levo.
    PPS His bike is a Giant Dirt-e
    PPPS The only downside it’s quite heavy, but this does not affect him as I got to lift it over the gates -(

ajantom

Sorry who is cheating ?

They just sound lazy. I ride 35+ milers off-road from my house. If I do drive to a trail centre I’m probably going to do a bit more than 9 miles. Did 20 the other week at Haldon, though that included parking at a mates house nearby, doing loads of off-piste, and then back down the hill via some bridleways. Suffice to say I’m not really the target market for an ebike. However, unless you really cannot ride a normal bike for health reasons then (IMO anyway) it’s lazy, and not proper cycling – however you choose to define that.

canopy
    Free Member

Sorry who is cheating ?

were they doing uplifts?

thats to be debated. benefits & type of muscle usage aren’t the same.

however. you did longer (probably) so maybe you.

(tongue firmly in cheek!)
    sounds like they’ve got friends, and you have no one? *sad face*

don’t forget their base fitness levels are probably very different from yours.

9 miles may well benefit them more than it would to you riding their bikes. for the exact same amount of time..

tomhoward

Unless you are seriously physically debilitated you are just a fat lazy prick with too much money.

So just how ‘debilitated’ do I have to be to not be a fat (175lb, 6′) lazy prick, and how little do I have to spend to not have too much money?

tomhoward

@ramsey,
    Fixed allows you to go as fast as you can pedal.
    A freewheel allows you to use gravity to assist you on the downs to whatever speed you have the incline/cojones for.
    An ebike allows you to use the motor to assist you on the ups, up to 25kph, as long as you put some effort in (usually ~200w at top speed), unlike gravity.

Ban the freewheel menace!!!1!!1one!

singlespeedstu

closer to Motorcross with slippers!

You’ve not ridden much MX have you…
    It’s a **** site harder on your body than pissing about on pushbikes. With or without a small boost.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Still struggling with the concept Tom .

seosamh77
    Free Member

ajantom – Member
    Not quite sure of the appeal if you’re just blasting around a trail centre, seems like it would get boring quite quickly

The same would be true for the superfit folks among us also? 😆 what utter nonsense.

Euro
    Free Member

How about the critical folk write a list of reasons why they ride a mountain bike? Then beside each reason put the negative affect using an ebike has.

I’m sure there is the odd nutjob who only cycle uphills purely for fitness. They ride alone too, so don’t miss the fun and banter of just being out with mates. They walk down hills and across flats as there’s no fitness benefit using gravity to aid them. They don’t mess about on jumps, berms and drops – working on their bike skills. No need for that crap as pure, undiluted, glorious fitness trumps all. They have no adventure in their lives and don’t just go for a gentle ride to explore the land and admire the wonderful scenery. What possible benefit could that softie crap have on them?

Cycling brings joy. And you can’t cheat your way to joy (except you Lance 😛 )

buckster
    Free Member

Its the same when I see people with hairy legs riding road bikes, its just not right somehow, but its up to them, its their time/life/way of having fun/exercising etc.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure leg hair doesn’t give an extra 250W……

Denis99
    Free Member

Jeez, quite a few opinionated views on here……

Not a real mountain biker – whatever that is.

Take the piss out of someone on an ebike………

so, lets get this right then.

Uplift days, well I suppose thats cheating.
    Taking the bike to the trail centre, thats ok I suppose, its not cheating by taking the environmentally unfriendly internal combustion engine to ride your bike around the trails.
    Not in keeping with the sport of mountain biking, although most people don’t race anyway. They just want a bit of fun on their bikes.

I understand that alot of folk have to take a car to get out and ride, thats fine, it means they ride more often and have fun.
    I understand the uplift days, they are out having fun riding their bikes.
    You still have to pedal the ebike both uphill (with assistance), but downhill the assistance cuts out and if anything its a slight hindrance due to added mass.

The key thing is out riding, different strokes for different folks.

Everyone is out riding their bikes and having their sort of fun.

By the way, I ride both sorts of bike.
    Ebike and a normal bike.

Suppose that makes me only half a real mountain biker.

tomhoward

I’m pretty sure leg hair doesn’t give an extra 250W

No, but whenever a company releases a new aero doodad, they make a big deal about how many watts it will save you over a ride. Again, seems a little silly saying you are allowed to reduce the amount of watts a rider has to put in for a desired speed (or faster for the same effort), but are cheating if you add watts to what the rider puts out, to acheive the same speed. Different means to the same end, say I.

Or is it just sour grapes that someone can have the same experience as you without having “earned” it? Do you also berate newcomers for buying a nice bike without having “earned it” because they didn’t have to suffer all the shit bikes from 15+ years ago?

Or is all this just internet bravado? I’ve had an ebike for 4months now and while it doesn’t get ridden every week (because I have a stable/quiver/squadron of normal bikes that require my attention) the only place anyone has taken umbrage with it (audibly anyway) or the concept of it is online.

*awaits to be called a fat lazy prick next ride out

ajantom

Take the piss out of someone on an ebike………

No need to get your knickers in a twist – try reading what I actually said. This was in relation to a regular rider turning up on one, and if they actually had a genuine reason for riding one then we wouldn’t rib them (well maybe a bit, but we’re mates, so it’s allowed)

By the way, I ride both sorts of bike.
    Ebike and a normal bike.

But why? It’s a lot of money for something that you don’t need (obviously most of us don’t really need any of our bikes, but you know what I mean) Why the need for electric assist if you can ride a normal bike. Admit it, I bet you feel that you’re cheating just a little bit when you’re on it 😉

rOcKeTdOg

I was pretty ambivalent until a mate explained that in his busy working life he could get maybe 7 runs of the local DH trails, riding back up after every one in his limited after work time. On an E-bike he does 18! He’s able bodied but without the e-assist he’d hardly have time to ride at all

iainc

a related question to those with e-bikes. How do they hold up to winter mud and gloop, around the electric bits etc – is it just a case of a hose and muc-off as per a regular mtb, or does extra care need to be taken to not get certain bits wet ?

and how realistic is it to lift them up onto a Thule roof carrier ?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Those who are so against e-bikes, does their use have any impact on you personally? It doesn’t, so why get so het up about it? It’s like getting cross with someone driving a sporty version of your normal hatchback- they have more power but spend most of the time going the same speed as you. Who cares? Who exactly are they cheating by getting out and enjoying themselves? Not themselves, and not you, because it’s not a race.

With regards to the “you should only use one if you’re ill” thing – I’m currently fairly ill, I have something wrong with me that means I can’t ride uphill as hard as I could a month ago. I really struggled to keep up with the back of my riding group last week, when a month ago I’d have been at the front. If whatever this illness is keeps getting worse and turns out to be permanent I’d get an e-bike. However, as the bellend at work who now calls me “sicknote” is aware of, I look a perfectly healthy person in their late 20’s. Who are you to judge whether someone “deserves” an e-bike or not based solely on appearances?

That being said, for the OP I’d stick with riding a normal bike over winter. If you ride with friends they’ll understand and they won’t care and by this time next year you’ll be your old self again. If life keeps getting in the way and it spoils your enjoyment maybe look into getting one next year.

tomhoward

a related question to those with e-bikes. How do they hold up to winter mud and gloop, around the electric bits etc – is it just a case of a hose and muc-off as per a regular mtb, or does extra care need to be taken to not get certain bits wet ?
    and how realistic is it to lift them up onto a Thule roof carrier ?

Very well, and I hose mine down just like I do a normal bike. All the leccy bits are well sealed (specialized turbo levo)

Roof rack? Errm, mine weighs 20ish kg… But it has plus tyres so roof racks are out anyway, mine goes on a saris bones of it’s going on a rack and that’s fine.

fifeandy
    Free Member

No, but whenever a company releases a new aero doodad, they make a big deal about how many watts it will save you over a ride. Again, seems a little silly saying you are allowed to reduce the amount of watts a rider has to put in for a desired speed (or faster for the same effort), but are cheating if you add watts to what the rider puts out, to acheive the same speed. Different means to the same end, say I.

If anyone ever invents an aero doodad that can save 250W going up a 10% grade, they are going to make a LOT of money.

iainc

thanks for info tom

peaslaker
    Free Member

The watts advertised as being saved by aero doodads are calculated based on being a race fit rider going fast – usually IIRC 40kmh.

The aero calculation for power is proportional to speed^3, so at lower speeds the saving disappears into the negligible. The entry qualification for an aero benefit being any benefit is to be a good rider going fast; the implication is an arms race versus your competitive peers who are doing the same within the limits of the applicable rules of the competition.

Those who ride aero bikes at moderate pace are not receiving a significant benefit. They might possess a lovely technical object but in their use case the benefit is never meaningfully apparent.

The proposition of e-bikes is not equivalent to aero.

Mountain biking is something that appeals to individuals for individual reasons. A large part of my personal motivation is that it isn’t easy; the physical challenge is part of what makes me feel rewarded on a good day and makes me determined to keep my fitness at a generally good level. It is why uplift days are occasional for me (and enjoyed) and trail riding is my normal. I also tend to ride the downhills differently if I’m warmed up from the climb up – usually I am a bunch less anxious even if I am a bit more fatigued.

franz
    Free Member

I have never ridden an e-bike. I would love to have a go on one, as I think it would be a lot of fun.
    But I also can’t help wishing they did not exist, and I genuinely worry that they may eventually destroy (or at least contribute to the destruction of) normal self-powered mountain bikes.
    I think the feeling of assisted pedalling would be extremely addictive, especially to someone who is a bit out of shape but wants to recapture the fun of riding. And I wouldn’t mind betting a small amount of cash that a huge number of able bodied e-bike riders are no longer riding their old bikes at all. This is Not A Good Thing, and you will have quite a job convincing me otherwise.

Anyone out on a self-powered bike on a proper difficult trail who gets passed by someone with a motor on their bike will naturally feel cheesed off. They will be annoyed because they know that getting there, to the top of that brutal climb or whatever, has involved work on their part, both in the long and short term. Work that they have put in because they love what they are doing, and want to make the most of their abilities on their bike. The point of mountain biking is that it is difficult; it is not just a thing that you can pick up like a video game when you feel like a blast of adrenaline. And the regular e-bike rider that just passed you has been able to skip a large part of that work, not because they are carrying an injury or disability, but because they had £5k to burn and didn’t fancy doing the hard yards and actually getting fit.

weeksy

Anyone out on a self-powered bike on a proper difficult trail who gets passed by someone with a motor on their bike will naturally feel cheesed off. They will be annoyed because they know that getting there, to the top of that brutal climb or whatever, has involved work on their part, both in the long and short term. Work that they have put in because they love what they are doing, and want to make the most of their abilities on their bike.

Anyone ? By anyone you mean YOU. I certainly won’t care if someone passes me on an Ebike, i don’t care if someone passes me on a non-ebike, I can’t for a second imagine why it would matter.

If someone passes me on the way down on one, i’ll be unhappy for sure… but only at my own lack of ability.

Don’t tar everyone with your brush.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Why would it cheese anyone off?

franz
    Free Member

Anyone ? By anyone you mean YOU. I certainly won’t care if someone passes me on an Ebike, i don’t care if someone passes me on a non-ebike, I can’t for a second imagine why it would matter

Yes of course I mean me. But I think a great deal of riders would agree with me. Did you actually read my post? Have you got anything to say about the video-game-ification of the sport? Or are you just being angry & defensive?

franz
    Free Member

Why would it cheese anyone off?

Because of the hard work they have put in, that e-bikers have largely avoided. I think my post is very clear.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Because of the hard work they have put in, that e-bikers have largely avoided.

But didn’t you put the hard work in because you enjoy it?
    In which case, whats the problem?
    You enjoyed it, they enjoyed it, happy days.

Good thread this, has brought out a REALLY wide spectrum of opinions.

lankystreakofpee

After testing last night, may I suggest Caramel Shortbread as a cheaper alternative to an electric motor? Caramel Shortbread = Rocket Fuel!

munrobiker
    Free Member

I really hate seeing people ride along canal towpaths. They’re just out to enjoy themselves, they’ve put no hard work in. They should be banned so I don’t feel slightly cheesed off.

Oh, wait, actually, no – I love seeing people ride bikes, and how they choose to do it has absolutely zero effect on how I choose to do it.

simondbarnes

The point of mountain biking is that it is difficult;

Is it? Not for me. I like mountain biking as it lets me get out into the hills and have lovely views.

zilog6128

I mentioned it allows me to do more miles and therefore have more fun. I explained I had ridden 12 miles to trail centre do about 14 mile route and then the 12 miles home about 38 miles

Asked them.

Turns out they drive to trail centre. Do 9 mile route and then drive home. Which seems pretty
    Commonplace now a daysLol. 9 miles vs 12 miles & a few pedal assisted road miles. The W2 trail is 27 miles, and that’s pretty much the bare minimum to make a visit to a trail centre worthwhile for me, so I reckon the whole lot of you are lazy gits 😀

cookeaa

I think you need to give yourself a bit of a break OP. Coming back to cycling after a significant period away, having put on weight, of course you’re going to be slower, so what?

People seem to have all sorts of performance anxiety around cycling these days, it’s not all a competition. I don’t see what’s so awful about going for a “Slow ride” and still enjoying simply being out on a bike. If your mates are impatient, go for some rides on your own, or find someone else less concerned about bashing out fast miles to ride with…

getting your fitness back and keeping it has to be a longer term thing and an E-bike isn’t a good long term strategy for an otherwise healthy person (IMO).

Fitness will only be built by consistent, regular exercise, an e-bike will just prolong the period it takes to regain fitness, by letting you skip some of the bits of peak effort cycling naturally includes.

Given we’re close to winter now as well, motivation for cycling through the darker, colder months is bound to be harder to come by with or without a motor to assist, “training” takes time, it will simply take longer with a motor doing a percentage of the harder work…

If you are looking to get back into cycling and regain some lost fitness for next spring (looking forwards see), I would consider investing in a Road/CX bike that can take mudguards (Cliched I’m sure, not an MTB, but a practical choice), as it’s less faff simply getting out and riding from your front door, more efficient to ride so you’ll cover more ground for each hour riding and consequently feel a bit more of a sense of achievement. and if you really feel the need to buy additional gadgetry maybe look at a Turbo trainer or rollers so you’re still able to do some exercise on days when the weather manages to discourage you from making it out the door…

Set yourself some achievable fitness/riding goals for ~March 2017, maybe plan to do an event or a specific ride that would be a bit of a challenge with your fitness levels today, ignore your weight, just eat sensibly, and simply focus on finding ways to enjoy/accommodation riding a bike while the weather is crappy, and you’ll start next year better prepared and feeling better about yourself because you made the effort through winter…

franz
    Free Member

I love seeing people ride bikes, and how they choose to do it has absolutely zero effect on how I choose to do it.

So, by extension, you’d be happy to see entirely motorised bikes on trails meant for push bikes yeah? Good for you.

No, e-bikes don’t directly affect me right now. But they might start to if the trend gains too much momentum. They – and you – are contributing to the dumbing-down of a challenging, physically demanding sport.

munrobiker
    Free Member

By extension you think I would be happy for people to break the law? Funnily enough that would cheese me off. A motorbike is completely and utterly different to a motor assisted bicycle and until you’ve tried one I don’t think you’ll be able to smarten up enough to grasp that (ironic for someone talking about dumbing down).

Who says this is a sport? Most people do it as a leisure activity. I may do it as a sport, you might too, but most people don’t.

tomhoward

So, by extension, you’d be happy to see entirely motorised bikes on trails meant for push bikes yeah? Good for you.

Lol, you know that e bikes are pedal assist (which are legal and not entirely motorised) and e motorbikes are not, (and illiegal) they are just motorbikes that use electricity, rather than petrol, for fuel.

franz
    Free Member

Haha that was quite a turnaround! So being completely motorised is out of the question due to the fact it is illegal, and that would annoy you, but having an engine do 70% of the work while you make a vague pedalling motion is completely fine?
    I know what motorbikes are – I ride one regularly. And the fact that you don’t see mountain biking as a sport means that you have already lost this argument. Good luck to you. And stay off my trails.

tomhoward

Haha that was quite a turnaround! So being completely motorised is out of the question due to the fact it is illegal, and that would annoy you, but having an engine do 70% of the work while you make a vague pedalling motion is completely fine?

Yes, as there are (tiny) limits to what output the ebike motor can have. Unlike motorbikes.

Sport means competition, dust going out for a ride is not sport.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

And stay off my trails.

who the **** are you to determine who does and doesn’t ride on public trails on legal bicycles?

Unless you’re a very rich land owner, with private trails, they are’t ‘yours’! so much ignorance.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 158 total)

The topic ‘E mountain bikes a dilemma’ is closed to new replies.