Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • DX light – cut out when batt empty?
  • kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Was riding back from work just now and my DX light just cut out. I’ve only had it a couple of weeks and I’ve just been charging it every few days, but it’s maybe been longer than that since the last charge ‘cos I forgot.

I wouldn’t have expected it to just cut out, is it broken or is this normal? I’ve fired it on charge just now to see if it works again with some juice in it.

looks like this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280752346088

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

First off is the light on at the back of the light when the battery is connected.?

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Nope, died along with the main light. To add another problem, my multimeter is in my car, which isn’t here… Balls.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

One of two things I think. Battery fault or battery dead. Is it still dead after a bit of a charge?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

The chargers can spaff up too. One of mine did. If you know anyone with another battery you could try that. Replacement chargers are availible from DX.

They will cut out. Usually drop to low power, then shut down to prevent over-discharge damage to the battery.

mk1fan
    Free Member

It could be a faulty switch or a faulty battery pack. The battery packs wiring is a ‘weak point’. Trout (I think) on here sells decent replacement packs that work reliably.

On mine the switch turns red (from green) when the power starts to drop off. But when the power runs out it, unsuprisingly, turns off. What else do you expect it to do when the battery runs out?

Pook

Smudge is the person you need on here

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Works after a quick sesh on the charger. I might buy a spare batt to have with me – got loads of dirty looks riding home on the pavement sans front light!

I had it on strobe and didn’t notice a drop in power before it went off, first time I’ve ridden it in actual darkness though so maybe it just seemed bright.

Cheers the replies guys.

Edit: is smudge the mtbbatteries guy?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I might buy a spare batt to have with me

Charge it daily.?

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I’ve got a memory like a sieve, that’s never gonna happen!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

A similar thing just happened to my light tonight. I was cycling home and it started flickering then cut out, I was on a rough bit of tarmac. The light on the back of the light still glows, and if I wobble the light around it flickers on and off. Dodgy connection in the light?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I had this with mine last week. Took it apart and and it was the little coil thing (inducter?) that had come away from the board. Five minutes with a soldering iron and job done.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Cable entry points at flex protectors etc are also known weak points for random shorting out/disconnection.
    I’d strongly recommend reinforcing all cable entry points with self amalgamating tape from new. (Wrap the battery pack in a thinn layer of it too whilst you’re at it.)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I just bought a new one, tried to take it apart last night but couldnt. I’ll have another go with some better tools, but that metal disc is screwed in too tight!

TrentSteel
    Free Member

both my DX (Magicshine 900l & XML) cut out the other night at the end of a ride, no warning, from full power to out. Batteries were flat, recharged and they have been fine since. I had used both for 3.5 hours on full power, so I would think its normal.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘DX light – cut out when batt empty?’ is closed to new replies.