Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Dumfries & Galloway – Ticks and dogs ??
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

We are going on holiday shortly to Dumfries & Galloway satying near Dalbeattie and will be hoping to bike/walk in the Galloway Forest.

Should we give our Boxer dog a tick treatment before we go? Here in Yorkshire we have no problems, but a couple of years ago on Skye we found a number of ticks on her and as I understand some areas are much worse than others

Thanks

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Don’t know about the current hot-spots but I’d strongly suggest you treat her anyway, and don’t rely on that being a 100% preventative either!

After walking our golden retreiver around the woods and fields in the Silverdale (Lancaster) area on Sunday, I picked about 20 of the little blighters off him. Only one had “got hold”, the rest were still crawling around. Last treated with Frontline about 3 weeks previously.

Yes. Definately treat the dog before you go but check her over after each outing too.

JamieMc
    Free Member

Yep id give a frontline treatment. After a days walking in the Galloway hills i usually find at least one of the wee buggers, and thats on me not the dog.

cupra
    Free Member

as above and invest in a tick hook and some alcohol wipes or similar.

anagallis_arvensis

as suggested a tick hook is a great investment, does frontline deter ticks?

my vet suggested advantix

montylikesbeer
    CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

We are in a very tick infested area. Avantix seems to work well and IIRC lasts for 2-3 months

Trekster

FunkyDunc – Member
    We are going on holiday shortly to Dumfries & Galloway staying near Dalbeattie and will be hoping to bike/walk in the Galloway Forest.

Should we give our Boxer dog a tick treatment before we go?
    Short, simple answer…YES
    The little critters have been around devouring people/animals for quite a while now.
    http://www.tickbitepreventionweek.org/

I presume you know you are next to Dalbeattie forest, near to both Mabie and Ae forests. There are good walks in all the D&G forests and along the coast from Kipford to Sandyhills via castle Point and Rockcliffe.
    Can be biked 😆

Nice cafe at Rockcliffe and another at Colvend. There is acess(and/or exit)to the forest via the track beside Colvend village hall. Follow brown walkers poles.
    Another coastal walk is from Aucehncairn along the coast from D`beattie and a good walk up Screel is another local must do. For a big hill walk Criffel is the other local challenge.
    Short route up Criffel. There is a longer way up via Knockendock from New Abbey http://www.theaa.com/walks/criffel-and-new-abbey-420446

bruk

Either Advantix (vet only) or Frontline (available from some chemists/Pets at Home) etc

For a visit to a tick area either would be good but if I remember right then Advantix is more claimed to be more repellent ie stops them attaching. May be worth trying your vets as they may sell you a single vial of the Advantix rather than having to buy a box.

For longer protection the Scalibor collar is pretty good (lasts 5/6 months)

banginon

Frontline last about a month for ticks and has fewer side affects for the dog according to my vet.

Just about to give Ifor his second wee vial this year as pulled two off him just now with the o-tom tick twisler ( which is so good I’m gonna get some to sell in the shop)

anagallis_arvensis

our vet also said if going to somewhere with lots of ticks try to give the advantix the week before.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

We went to Rockcliffe (D&G) about 4 years ago for a week’s holiday and our Springer got a tick in her back leg. There is a hill in between Rockcliffe and Kipford and there is where she picked it up. Not knowing how to deal with it we took the dog the vet and the vet removed it. He said that Frontline is too weak for ticks so go for a stronger product (ask your vet) or he said if your dog does get a tick you can smother the tick in Vaseline which will suffocate it and then it should drop off. The area itself is full of ticks so it’s worth getting a treatment before you go (or have the number of the local vet!!!).

Have fun, it’s a nice part of the world. The cafe in Rockcliffe is good by the way, as is the hotel (Barons Craig) in Rockcliffe for some good beers’ and whiskey – oh and views 🙂

collinstiffee
    Free Member

I got tick tweezers from Tiso, so I imagine any proper outdoor shop.
    I hated having ticks. Made me feel like a bungalow with mice. (i’m not tall…)

Trekster

bangin on – Member
    Frontline last about a month for ticks and has fewer side affects for the dog according to my vet.

Just about to give Ifor his second wee vial this year as pulled two off him just now with the o-tom tick twisler ( which is so good I’m gonna get some to sell in the shop)

POSTED 1 DAY AGO # REPORT-POST
    ”the shop” just happens to be here and worth a visit

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Dumfries & Galloway – Ticks and dogs ??’ is closed to new replies.