Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Dublin, worth a weekend trip?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Since Mr Oleary messed up there’s quite a few cheap flights from east mids. I can easily get over the ususal stw moaning/hatred about Ryanair and will happily get on one of their planes. Be a trip with the wife, presume it will mainly involve beer and sight seeing over a Friday early start to a Sunday evening flight back. So, is it overrated, horrible, lovely, full of stag/hens, expensive, beautiful etc etc.
    Just fancy going somewhere other than a UK city in the car as per normal.

legend
    Free Member

Yeah worth a short trip. There are very touristy bits and there will no doubt be some stag/hen parties but still not a bad place to go. Just having a wonder around slightly off the beaten track found us some cracking little pubs and the like.

Might as well just admit to yourself right now that you’ll make a trip to the Guinness brewery while you’re at it

jimjam
    Free Member

Just avoid the “Temple Bar” bar in Temple Bar. Or if you do go…..for the love of god don’t order four southern comforts and two desperados.

jonnyboi

as an alternative yet still involving a flight, Belfast is pretty good nowadays and will probably work out cheaper. The cathedral quarter has lots of decent bars, restaurants and night life. Plus there are tons of hotels from the always dependable premier inn up to the merchant

whitestone
    Free Member

Have been there with work and on personal trips (we used to live in N. Wales so there were cheap day trips from Holyhead). I’m really not a city/urban sort of person but it’s one of the few cities I’d go to again.

fasthaggis

Been a few times,really like it as a place for a city break.
    The whole Stag/Hen thing is easy enough to avoid.
    Last time we stayed out at Howth and got the train in.
    Do a bit reading up before you go,so that you have a bit of a plan.

Nico
    Free Member

for the love of god don’t order four southern comforts and two desperados.

Or two Cokes and a Galway Hooker.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

The hop on hop off bus is great for getting a feel for the city and its layout. Accommodation can be eyewateringly expensive! Around st stephen’s green is lovely. Book tickets for museums etc in advance if you can cos everything gets booked up (esp kilmainham gaol). There are ace free walking tours from the spire.
    This museum is great
    https://www.littlemuseum.ie/

astormatt
    Free Member

Dublin was probably my favourite city breaks so far.
    As has been mentioned, jump off the bus wherever you fancy the look of and hop back on to find somewhere else to look around.
    Quite a few tourist sites to keep you occupied.

Cougar

Just avoid the “Temple Bar” bar in Temple Bar. Or if you do go…..for the love of god don’t order four southern comforts and two desperados.

Some people have worryingly good memories.

jimjam
    Free Member

Only when it comes to pedantry, stats and trivia.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Looks like we’ll have a go then. I really know very little about the place. Any bits to avoid, best place as a base, not even sure of it’s size to comparable UK cities.

curto80
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother. It’s raining and there was a massive queue at passport control.

fasthaggis

Looks like we’ll have a go then. I really know very little about the place

windydave13
    Free Member

I lived in Dublin for 2 years and it was awesome. If you don;t mind walking you can do a load on foot.

As mentioned above, hop-on-off bus is well worth it. Guiness Storehouse is a good one for a rainy day as its all indoors and a pint at the top is well deservered.

My favourite pubs for a Guiness in order of choice 😆
    1. John Kavanagh aka Grave Diggers on the edge of Glasnevin Cemetry Drumcondra
    2. Stags Head – Dame Lane (over the road from Temple Bar
    3. The Cobblestone – Smithfield

The Temple Bar in Temple bar whilst pricy is still good fun. Also prices go up after midnight so get your pints in before then.

Train to Howth for Seafood is another good little trip.

You won’t be short of things to do

alanl
    Free Member

Going against the grain, I went last weekend and was definitely underwhelmed with it.
    Expensive. Not much to see at all.However, I hadnt researched anything, so probably missed out on loads – I did want to see the Photography Gallery in Temple Bar, but it didnt open until 1pm on Sunday, so we didnt get the chance to see it as out ferry was at 2. Oh, it’s expensive.
    OK, we were only there a short time, but what we did see didnt inspire me to go again.
    Stopped at the Post Office to see some history, 14 euro to go round please. Guinness tour – 25 euro please. 2 half pints 7.50 – in 3 different places.
    Packet of crisps – 2.50 in a pub. Ok, they were a big bag, but 2.50?

globalti
    Free Member

Went to Dublin 19 years ago and wasn’t that impressed. Went to Cork last year and was very under-impressed, it was tawdry, scruffy, full of pissheads and short on interesting bars and restaurants if you wanted something different from the usual fare. I hope Dublin isn’t like Cork.

fasthaggis

That’s a shame alan,you should have started a thread on here last week 😉

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Dublin, worth a weekend trip?’ is closed to new replies.