Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Dual Air or U-Turn 2010 Revs for Pace RC405
  • YorkshireRipper
    Free Member

I'm in the market for some new forks, running 07 Revelation coils at the moment. Fancy a little more travel and the extra stiffness of 20mm.

So looking for some opinions, two questions really..

Is 150mm too big for Pace RC405?

This ups the A2C to 529mm from my current 508. Was thinking 140mm setting would be better compromise, or with the U-Turn I can set it as I like. Don't want to upset the current balance of the bike too much.

Anyone had any reliability issues with the U-Turn?

Read a few posts that these are less relaible, I do use the U-Turn on my coils for the odd climb, but then usually forget to wind out again so maybe not worth it.

Cheers

daveagiles
    Free Member

I think the last number on the pace model numbers is the recommended fork length in inches.

5 inches is about 130mm so they would probably be to long, but you can easily shorten them internally.

YorkshireRipper
    Free Member

Yeah, Pace recon 130-150mm fork but I think it's designed more around 130, was wondering if anyone has run different fork lengths on theirs?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

just bought the dual-airs. There are spacers included so you can drop the travel. You just drop the lowers off and use some circlip pliers to open the air spring side of the fork.

Its worth dropping the lowers off anyway – mine had naff all lubricating oil in them!! probably a teaspoons worth on the damping side!

I made sure i topped them up, especially given all these stanchion wear stories.

BadlyWiredDog

I run 140mm U-Turn Pikes on my 405, seem fine to me and work well at full travel, wind them down for really steep climbs, but you do lose some pedal clearance in the process. I've never had any serious issues with U-Turn on three or four different RS forks, occasionally grit gets under the adjuster at the top and jams things up but it's a five-minute job to whip the cap off, clean things up and regrease the spring/ball bearing mechanism. I've never used a fork that's taller than the Pike but I guess if you get U-Turn you can aways wind them down slightly if the front end's too high. I wouldn't bother with the remote lock-out thing, clutters up the bars and seems to jam up far too easily ime. I think the last number in the model designation is the rear travel in inches rather than fork travel suggestion btw.

shorts_in_winter
    Free Member

Probably worth noting that the 2010 revs at 150mm have the same axle to crown length as last years 140mm model….

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Probably worth noting that the 2010 revs at 150mm have the same axle to crown length as last years 140mm model….

not by measurements, or indeed rockshoxs own figures.

Paceman
    Free Member

140mm Fox Talas on mine, work just fine, only drop them down to 120/100mm for the steepest climbs.

krispe
    Free Member

Go for the 150 dual air. I have 140 pikes on mine AND have fitted one of these http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id183.html as I still found the head angle steeper than my previous frame. This gives me an A2C of about 535mm which with my digital angle finder comes up around 67.5degrees HA. I find this feels perfect for me and my riding with no problems on any steep climbs, (may need to adjust body position slightly more, but the pace is an excellent climber seated or standing), also feels great attacking fast twisty single track or downhills. I never feel the need to use my u-turn. Had the 150 Rev been available at the time I built my bike it would have been my first choice and I would not have fitted the external headset. I may still look to replace my Pike with the Rev 150 as its over 1/2lb lighter.

Northwind

Strikes me that the u-turn 120-150mm should be perfect here. More expensive obviously but you get all the kit you want, plus the adjustable travel, plus the blackbox damping (which isn't so massively better than moco, but is still a step up) Fairly trivial weight penalty and cost ae the downsides obviously.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Dual Air or U-Turn 2010 Revs for Pace RC405’ is closed to new replies.