Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Drums
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

So ignore everything else.

What’s the thoughts on the drums here?

goldfish24

Quite a complex pattern.

Hi hat sounds too loud in the mix.

Sounds a bit programmed. I think playing with velocity to turn the snare pattern into more of an accented pattern would really help, start by bring the velocity up on the 2 & 4 beat, drop the velocity a lot on the rest.

john_drummer
    Free Member

seosamh hasn’t shared any sounds yet

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’ve been playing around with it a bit. It’s uploading again, give it a few minutes to process..

tbh just curious to thoughts an I’m a bit clueless when it comes to progamming drums, so massive learning curve here! Just trying to get them a bit more complex and human like! Which is difficult coming from a starting point of 0, trying to understand all the setting is a head****! 😀

Cheers for the comments golf fish.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Up now.

Incidently, any good resources for drum music on the web?

Not beginner stuff, reasonably complex I’m after?

Guess drumming tab will do, but drum music seems easy enough to read so would prefer some thing proper.

Not looking for any type of pattern, just a resources with alsorts of styles and fills etc.

Anybody know of such a goldmine?

Or am I better just going out an buying a book? Any recommendations?

Edukator
    Free Member

I’ve been playing along. For rhythm guitar it’s a “magic square” of G D Am C starting on the first tall isolated spike. You can keep that going all through and it sounds fine with your bass and guitar. A pentatonic solo on the third fret fits.

What’s the metronome speed? Somewhere around 120?

john_drummer
    Free Member

Traditionally in rock/blues/pop music, the kick/snare drum pattern will match what the bass player is doing, with the snare playing a relatively simple backbeat on 2 & 4 and the kick pedal playing the more complicated stuff. Hi- hat/ride will then play single notes, half notes or quarter notes (in a 4/4 pattern), depending how fast the song is and how good the drummer’s co-ordination is. E.g 1 2 3 4, 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &, 1 a & a 2 a & a 3 a & a 4 a & a
    Fast 1/2 or 1/4 note patterns on the hi-hat will typically be played using both left and right hands on the hi-hat and pull the right hand (right handed drummer) onto the snare on the 2 and 4

Example – https://www.reverbnation.com/chasingglass4/song/23943001-be-my-step-behind

I’m not the best drummer in the world but you can hear in the verse part what I mean about the bass drum and snare matching what the bass player is doing. Or is he matching what I’m doing?

Slower blues or rock songs can go for Triplets on the hi-hat and will sometime miss out the middle note of each triplet to give a shuffle feel. E.g 1 & a 2 & a 3 & a 4 & a… becoming 1 _ a 2 _ a 3 _ a 4 _ a. Again, the kick pedal will typically do the complicated stuff while the snare keeps the rest of the band in time

When I write patterns on a drum machine I personally tend to stick to what I’d do if playing it live

Drum n bass is, by contrast, really busy in the snare/hi-hat/kick combination, usually at very high bpm.

wordnumb
    Free Member

It depends whether you intend to replicate this playing live. If so, yes that’s interesting – not massively so, but pretty cool. If just programming there’s no reason to give a damn.

Incidently, any good resources for drum music on the web?

Not beginner stuff, reasonably complex I’m after?

I could give you complex scores but, for sake of musicality, there has to be a compositional reason for the complexity. Meshuggah is a good example, even if you don’t like metal. Figure out what works as a piece of music in the computer – then figure out how to actually play it. Anybody can program impossible stuff.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Interesting thoughts and advice cheers all.

yunki
    Free Member

No professional advice to offer but as a compulsive dancer and helpless slave to the rhythm I can say that I love it.. very original

seosamh77
    Free Member

cheers 🙂 Just learning at the moment, plan shortly is to start getting a few mates up and start recording away to get loads of raw material. And then play around with it all. Learning loads just now, not just drumming. Beats watching the tele as a hobby anyhow! 😆 i just reckon drums is where I need to spend alot of time learning for a wee while, get me up to scratch. It’s probably much the foundation for any good music, shit drums = shite music!

senorj

I like that. More dub type reverb on the breaks for me.
    Very promising .

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Drums’ is closed to new replies.