Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Dropping the big ring.
  • teenrat

After a catalogue of transmission failures at the weekend, i am going to drop the big ring to simplify the gearing. Is my thinking right in terms of what i need to do, or am i missing something?

1) Replace 44t ring with 36T bash.
    2) Re adjust front mech so that it doesn’t go further out than the
    middle ring.
    3) Shorten chain

Is it that simple or am i missing some key steps?

Is a chain guide required?

Cheers

Rich

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s that simple. Only other thing is a lower roller. All depends whatnand how you ride.

plyphon
    Free Member

You don’t have to shorten chain unless you’re changing the sprocket sizes on the remaining rings (AFAIK)

euain

Shortening the chain isn’t necessary – but it increases the chain tension on the middle/small rings which is good as it’ll reduce noise/chatter and the chance of the chain dropping off the ring.

I guess it also saves the weight of a few chain links 😉

titusrider
    Free Member

you dont ‘have’ to shorten the chain but you will find doing so increases chain tension and stops it dropping off nearly as much

(was the main reason i went double)

also, get a larger bash but dont feel you have to put a bigger middle ring on than 32 just yet, im running 32/22 * 9 and its actually fine (long road sections excluded)

and yeah no need for a roller/ chain device unless you find you are still loseing the chain after shortening it

mikewsmith
    Free Member

also, get a larger bash but dont feel you have to put a bigger middle ring on than 32 just yet, im running 32/22 * 9 and its actually fine (long road sections excluded)

All depends on location and rider cadence etc.

titusrider
    Free Member

Mike, completely agree

Im just saying its worth trying before you go out and buy a 34/36

heavy_rat
    Free Member

Changing the middle ring is only worth doing if you use the big ring a lot at the moment. If you don’t use the big ring then the middle is sufficient for you

oldnick

All the above plus do you need the bash?

I’ve ended up with 22/36 and a Bionicon v2.

I only needed the chain device because my bikes front mech is direct mount so won’t drop low enough to perform chain guide duties.

rickmeister

The only thing I would add is to get a shorter cage rear mech next time around too. I reckon it is worth shortening the chain though for the reasons above.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Dropping the big ring.’ is closed to new replies.