Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Dropper Seat posts..
  • wingnut31
    Free Member

Ok, who has one, which one is it and are you happy with it ??

Quite a bit of choice out there just looking for some advice from people who already own one…

Thanks in advance…

Liftman

Gravity dropper, basic mechanical design that just works and happy with it

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

are Massivley overpriced! the end.

zilog6128

BikeRadar have a cursory review of the new Fox one.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Specialized Command Post Blacklite.

Had it 2 months or so, no problems apart from the seatclamp bolt needing to be insanely tight!

I had to pay the full price ‘cos i wanted the 75mm travel version and Spesh don’t import that model to the UK. Ended up sneaking one from Spesh UK via their warranty ‘pool’ but was a bit more expensive than the online 100/125mm versions.
    Still, it’s a good post, the 3-position drops are just right for me, it’s easy to set up, there is no lateral play (so far) and it’s given me a new sense of confidence on the steep/rough stuff.

Was it worth the £270 ?

For me, yes.

therag
    Free Member

Ks950
    Needs cleaning every few months but wouldnt be without 1.
    They are quite expensive but i think most people who say they aren’t worth the money havnt used one.

johnhe

I have an old Gravity dropper and find it so indispensable, I’ve now bought a second dropper post – this time a reverb. I love my GD, but the reverb is in a different league. The ability to set the height anywhere is magic.

I really don’t understand people slagging dropper posts. I consider myself a fair enough rider, and I’d like to think I can ride as many obstacles as most people with the post up. But you ride completely differently with the post out of your way. It’s so much easier to loft the front wheel up, or take small jumps when the seatpost is out of your way.

mintimperial

Got a Reverb and an X-Fusion HiLo, they’re both good. The Reverb is more polished (and is more expensive) but the HiLo works well enough and they do a 27.2mm one. I like ’em both, and they have definitely made quite a big difference to my confidence on the bike, but I wouldn’t say they’re essential.

But then lightweight frames, suspension, gears, big knobbly tyres and disc brakes aren’t essential either. In fact, you don’t actually need a bike, you could just go out running stark bollock naked, and that way you could sneer at absolutely everyone… 😉

sprocker
    Free Member

got the ks supernatural 950 i 6″ one, expensive (ish) but well worth the money for me, needs a strip and clean every few months and that’s it.

bedmaker

Reverb since crimbo last year. Love it. No probs as yet.

Northwind

Gravity Dropper Turbo and KSi900 here.

The Gravity Dropper’s more or less as reliable as a standard seatpost- I’ve serviced it once in 2 years just as a precaution but it’s doing fine. Light, too. But only 4 inches of drop, and ugly…

The i900 didn’t work from new, and had to go back on warranty twice before it did, with lots of new parts… But since fixed, it’s been great- it gets a bit more attention than the GD but it’s got more drop and doesn’t look like it was made in a shed. KSes used to be crap, frankly, but they learned.

Simon

Choice for me was limited as I needed a 27.2mm post, so my shortlist was GD, Hilo, or KS i7. Nowhere seemed to be selling the i7 and I’d heard mixed reviews of the Hilo, so I went for a 2nd hand Gravity Dropper turbo multi.

Been using it for the last few months. I’m very happy with it – it just works and isn’t that heavy, and the workings are all mechanical and very simple.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

if anyone took my “massivley overpriced” statement as (me not liking them) then your wrong, i thing dropper posts are brilliant! just amazingly expensive for what they are and whats involved, and anyone who thinks they are worth nigh on £300 need many hard blows to the head and steaming ot tea pouring down the fronts of their trussocks! … IMO of course 😆

Gribs

Giant Contact Switch owner here. Still working fine but I’ve only had it 3 months. Dropper posts are expensive but probably just about worth it.

chiefgrooveguru

I’d rather have one MTB with a dropper post than two (or more) without. A Gravity Dropper costs £150 more than a Thomson, or four times as much. How much more do sus forks cost than rigid forks?

Pook

I’ve got a reverb from about 8 months ago. Best thing I’ve ever put on my bike until new Deore brakes a few weeks back.

It’s brilliant, though I’ve had one problem.

It lost pressure once after a fat knacker hora sat on it.

Rose bikes repaired it sharpish and it’s been fine since.

It’l revolutionise your riding.

footflaps

My first was a Gravity Dropper – never seemed to work properly, always in pieces trying to fix it and ended up giving it away.

Both myself and GF now have Crank Brothers Joplins and so far we’re very happy with them.

kimbers

got a gravity dropper SH on ebay, had for about 9 months, bought it for the mega and it was indispensable for the whole week and surprised me just how useful its been back in the uk, took it apart couple of weeks ago and it was spotless inside, despite some filthy rides in wales a week in the alps etc

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Got a KS i900 and a Gravity Dropper.

The KS is leagues ahead in operation, but has a bizarre internal set-up that can cause gouging if not kept scrupiously (sp?) clean. It also involves dealing with Superstar should things go amiss (like they did with mine). However it is relatively easy to strip and clean, as long as you don’t want to get into the air chamber area.

The Gravity Dropper isn’t as reliable as all the lovers make out – two of us ran them on a particularly wet ride at Afan last year and they both jammed. The flipside to this is that they are incredibly easy to strip and clean, and a friend has had amazing service from them in the ‘States.

Horses for courses at the end of the day. IMO there’s not a great one out there just yet.

convert

KS900i

Only on my bike when it’s in “play” mode – comes off as not worth the weight when in tame XC/bridleway/marathon mode. Also comes off (to be fair I use a different bike mostly) when its muddy. That probably doesn’t say much about how I trust it’s reliability.

I’m very tempted by the new Crank Brothers one mainly because the cable position stays static close to the top of the seat tube.

Northwind

convert, you don’t trust the KS for reliability so you might replace it with a Crank Bros? And not just any Crank Bros but a new, untested Crank Bros? I salute your courage.

convert

I know – I must be mad! But then again – I’ve got 5 pairs of their pedals and must be about the only rider in the world to have never had one of their pedals explode – the Crank Brothers force is strong with me! 😀

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

the Crank Brothers force is strong with me!

Famous last words… 😉

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Dropper Seat posts..’ is closed to new replies.