• This topic has 23 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by gonzy.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Dropped my phone in the bath.
  • zippykona

It’s a galaxy s4 and it has the little earphone sign come up.
    If I make a call I can’t hear or be heard.
    With the cover off I can see lots of little screws holding it together. If I try to take it to bits to dry it out will I totally kill it?
    Any other suggestions?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Probably best not to turn it back on until its dried out.. take back off, remove battery if it does and stick it in a large jar of rice (uncooked obviously) to dry for 24 hrs

zippykona

Gave it a blast of mrs Zip’s hairdryer and it lives again!

mattyfez

Ueh keep it turned off for about 3 days, put in airing cuppbord pr somewhere warm with rice/scillica gel packs.

There’s obviously water in it so power it off straight away before it spreads and dry it out, you might have got lucky.

mattyfez

There still might be moisture lurking inside.. you need to dry it properly.

bearnecessities

Put it in rice.
    Take out of rice.
    Cook rice.
    Add eggs.
    Throw phone in bin.
    Eat rice.

Mmm, egg-****-sung.

Ambrose

When upgrade time arrives, consider a more water-resistant device should you think you might need it.

Getting fed up with similar occurrences I opted for Xperias, currently I’m using the X3c and have no issues.

steve-g
    Free Member

Have had similar, I think there moisture in the phone was making it think headphones were plugged in so was attempting to use that as a mic when it wasn’t really there. A couple of days in a bag of rice sorted it.

In future if you’re gonna use your phone for browsing pron in the bathroom, put it in a clear plastic bag and have a shower rather than a bath.

funkmasterp

You need to counteract the water effect therefore you must throw the phone in fire. This must be done for the exact same duration of time as it was in the water. Hey presto! Damage reversed!

Eyepic
    Free Member

I belive isopropyl alcohol (maplin) should drive the water out…. look it up on u tube.

zippykona

Have put it in a bag of rice just in case. Sure it will be fine.
    Glad it wasn’t a posh phone or my iPad.

legend
    Free Member

Oven at 60 degrees for a few hours

tinybits
    Free Member

I’ve had this on a wet iPhone. Roll up kitchen roll, poke into headphone socket, change paper, repeat. Worked fine after.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Note many manufacturers put moisture indicators in their phones, little stickers that are stuck in strategic places that change colour in presence of water. Allows them to invalidate your warranty should you return the phone as they can prove it’s been in the water.

cp

Allows them to invalidate your warranty should you return the phone as they can prove it’s been in the water.

doubt an S4 in the OP is still in warranty, but the sentiment does apply in general

slowoldman

When upgrade time arrives, consider a more water-resistant device should you think you might need it.

Or don’t take your phone into the bath.

zippykona

And where do you expect to take photos of my willy?
    In the kitchen? That’s sick.

CountZero

At least dropping it into the bath will stop it spontaneously combusting in your hand… 😉

Allows them to invalidate your warranty should you return the phone as they can prove it’s been in the water.

So it’s considered acceptable behaviour to soak an expensive piece of electronic equipment, then return it and ask for a refund claiming its faulty manufacturing?
    Little wonder they do it, then.
    Like fat-assed individuals who put big phones in their back pockets then snivel because they bend when sat on!
    🙄

zippykona

If my phone does die from rice ingression what should I buy?
    Must be android ,take a memory card, have a battery I can easily swap and a good camera with a dedicated camera button. Does it exist?

mechanicaldope

I have a Sony Z3 which has all of these (bar the battery but the one in it is excellent)and is waterproof* to boot. Mines a couple of years old so is presumably fairly cheap now or a newer model available. Very happy with it.

*They say it’s waterproof and I use it in the shower sometimes. However after a brief dip in a canal it was temperamental for a few days and the camera lens misted up so probably best taken with a pinch of salt.

deadkenny
    Free Member

CountZero – Member 
    So it’s considered acceptable behaviour to soak an expensive piece of electronic equipment, then return it and ask for a refund claiming its faulty manufacturing?
    Little wonder they do it, then.

Absolutely they’re right to refuse based on water damage. My point is that any other fault that arises that isn’t to do with water damage will be instantly rejected because they have proof that at some point there was water in there. Also some get tiny bit of water in through a hole somewhere which triggers one of the indicators but doesn’t get into the phone internals, and that’s it, no warranty.

angeldust
    Free Member

I belive isopropyl alcohol (maplin) should drive the water out…. look it up on u tube.

Yep, and replace it with propan-2-ol.

Cougar

stick it in a large jar of rice

I did this with mine and it deleted all my contact details, apart from my Uncle Ben’s.

gonzy
    Free Member

my son had a habit of nicking my old S4 to watch youtube videos…last time he had it he left it in the backyard…in a paddling pool with about 12 inches of water…for about 3 hours. it had on of those tech21 cases on. the phone was still working …until he then dropped it and broke the screen

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Dropped my phone in the bath.’ is closed to new replies.