• This topic has 88 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by rone.
Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • Drone Rules
  • aracer
    Free Member

Without. Though it was only the next field to the one I was flying out of, and if the landowner had noticed and complained I’d have stopped whatever the legality. Don’t even need to be over 50m provided there are no people about IIRC – though the rules are slightly different if you don’t have a camera anyway (I did know the rules and stick to them, but it’s a while since I’ve flown and can’t remember – not relevant enough to this thread to be worth searching).

bikebouy
    Free Member

Also, don’t know if this has been done, if you intend to buy a drone from now on you’ll have to pass some sort of CAA test.

Reason for my questions are simple, I’m thinking of getting one for some surf footage and use it at the farm.

convert

Also, don’t know if this has been done, if you intend to buy a drone from now on you’ll have to pass some sort of CAA test.

Looking around the drone forums it sounds like it is thought is will be some sort of E learning course and test. But months away from becoming a reality.

benp1

Ooops, I’ve messed around with our [toy] drone in the park with the kids and other people around. Probably doesn’t go higher than 1 storey in the air (too high and it can’t fly against the wind). It’s a 1 foot square ish quadcopter, firmly at the toy end of the scale with no camera and fairly basic flying ability.

I daren’t do it above fence level in the garden in case the wind gusts!

Clearly I’ve been breaching many rules. I just considered it an RC toy

5thElefant
    Free Member

Looking around the drone forums it sounds like it is thought is will be some sort of E learning course and test. But months away from becoming a reality.

Potentially good news. The spark is a bit over the minimum weight, so expect something new to be even smaller and not restricted. Just what I was hoping for.

aracer
    Free Member

As mentioned just above, if it doesn’t have a camera the rules are a bit different – you still need to keep it away from other people just from a basic safety perspective though.

Only for larger ones – the little toy ones lots of people have won’t be affected.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

250g weight limit IIRC? Also if you stick it together yourself from bits, you’re exempt. Might be some registration needed as well. It’s all in flux at the minute.

Although I contend that policing an unregistered drone / untested pilot will be fundamentally unworkable and no one will be interested.

rone

You’ve got to remember the ‘rules’ are constantly open to interpretation. It will come down to what or who you are endangering.

An aviation pilot will be able to make good decisions based on their experience. Drone rules are born out of this and perhaps are a little vague for someone who has just purchased one off the shelf.

To be honest there is still much debate even with an OPS manual and CAA permissions! It’s all about figuring out if it’s safe to fly. So blanket rules are just tacked on.

rone

I suspect you are right looking at much of the footage found on You tube. Interesting definition from Rone….’which is substantially used for….commercial purposes’ I guess farmland is commercial but I would not immediately have classified it as ‘congested’ necessarily and not sure that’s what is intended. Lots of other (4 legged) reasons why you would not fly over a currently occupied farm field clearly.

It’s assuming you’ve not gotten permission from the land-owner in that case and not put safety measures in place. Over-flying lots of animals wouldn’t be a smart thing to do without speaking to the owner. Although that wouldn’t necessarily be a congested area but would perhaps disturb the animals which could be considered harm to them – so then in violation of air navigation order.

You would have no problem flying over a farm where you have perhaps spoken to the farmer and you have discussed safety arrangements with the stock. 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Drone Rules’ is closed to new replies.