Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Driving/riding a powered vehicle without a licence.
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Well i said I’d ask. A girl at work has no licence but she seems to think there’s at least some kind of engine/electric powered ‘transport’ she could use to get to work, wether it be some kind of moped or summink. I have my doubts & can’t find anything on the DVLA site. Any ideas?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Electric bike IIRC – limited to 14 mph and a mobility scooter are the two things. There are one or two odd scooters and things that fir into the electric bike bracket.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Provisional and CBT for any moped type things…. don’t know about invalid carriages though 😉

geoffj

Electric Bike?

7. Are there any UK laws I need to be aware of?
    The UK law differs slightly from the EU law and hence there is some confusion but if you adhere to the following you should be acting within our current regulatory guidelines.
    · average continuous motor power output no more than 250 watts
    · maximum speed under power 15 mph.
    · must have functioning pedals.
    · the use of a throttle is now allowed.
    · weight must not be more than 40 kg unless a tandem or tricycle.
    · riders age must be at least 14 years of age. (sorry kids, your time will come)
    *NB* Laws can and do change without prior warning. These are accurate at the time of writing and we shall endeavour to keep them uptodate.

For those of you with a real thirst for information and a bit of time on your hands follow the link below to the draft European Standard likely to pass into law shortly.

http://cyclurba.free.fr/image/Projet%20de%20Norme%20VAE.pdf

From here

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yep, electric bike of moped/125 but she’ll need a provisional and ride round some traffic cones.

skidartist
    Free Member

or if she is looking for sex-pest-chic

There are those segway things too,

Mind you ‘segway’ also brings up this image on Google

johnhoo
    Free Member

yeah, there is a bicycle with electric “assistance” – someone at work has one.

Looks like it weighs a ton, and if the battery dies half way up a big hill, that’s one hell of a push

And they’re not cheap either.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

That’s what she was on about! Can you get some more info on it? She only lives about 10 miles from work (don’t even mention pedalling in) but to get there she’s on 3 buses or a lift from someone who may be on the same shift (remote possibility!)

skidartist
    Free Member

Ben from Kinetics would be the best person to speak to.

He used to be a top-charting poster on here

Taff
    Free Member

there’s a sinclair c5 for sale in my local garage

skidartist
    Free Member

prepare to be trampled in the rush!

Trampus
    Free Member

Electric bike is the one. Cost £200 or so. Range 20 miles or so on the flat. ( A shop near me sells them, but no interest so can’t vouch for data veracity. Overtake enough of them on my commute, though! 😆 )

cbike
    Free Member

The good electric stuff is expensive. I looked into it at christmas and bought a big scooter I can fit my bike on.
    Best made plans, 2 birds one stone and all that..

miketually
    Free Member

Something like a Big Dummy with a Stoke Monkey electric assist would be idea for that.

Why will she not ride? Is it the distance or the roads? If it’s the roads, does she realise they’re the same roads on an electric bike?

Stoner
    Free Member

These are made down the road from me
    http://www.bikes-electric.co.uk

yours for £350, cheaper than an XTR chainset! Bargin!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There is also this

Can be converted to a legal 15 mph at a flick of a switch but offroad – 23 bhp and 2hrs runtime. A mix of mountainbike and motorbike tech

skidartist
    Free Member

TJ its not just the speed, doesn’t it have to be pedaled to be legal too?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Driving/riding a powered vehicle without a licence.’ is closed to new replies.