Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • driving license knowledge required
  • niallmb
    Free Member

so….

I’ve not driven in about a year and a half. On Friday coming (7th) Work have organised a hire car for me and 3 colleagues to go up to Scotland. I’m the only one with a license so its up to me to be driving.

I’ve just dug out my driving license to discover that a) I never updated my address when we moved and b) the photocard has expired.

Seems like I have to send everything off with a form and wait 3 weeks to get it all back. This however leaves me up a creek for Friday.

Does anyone know if there is a way of doing these changes fast track somewhere, DVLA office etc.

I’ve been trying to get through to the DVLA to ask them but no luck so far.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Chauffeur? Sorry that’s not helpful, but seriously where do you work? McDonalds?

niallmb
    Free Member

I can just see the look on the accounts departments faces when I tell them I need to hire a chauffeur. I’d rather not see that look in real life if I can avoid it!!!!

jota180
    Free Member

Seems like I have to send everything off with a form and wait 3 weeks to get it all back. This however leaves me up a creek for Friday.

Just tell work that you discovered your licence has expired and they’ll need to postpone or make other arrangements.

bren2709

You can apply online for new photo card as long as you have recently applied for the new version passport.
    They basically use the photo from your passport and this arrives within a couple of days.

Worth checking out…..

patriotpro
    Free Member

It’s not an essential part of your contract if you haven’t driven in that long so tell work the situation ASAP.

They’ll send you on train and bus won’t they…

thegreatape
    Free Member

I can’t see anything on the DVLA website re getting it super quick (only scanned it though).

Does your company have an account with any car hire companies? I ask that because mine (police) does, and when our admin staff book us cars they never specify who’s going to drive and we never have to show licences or anything, the cars just get dropped off for us, and anyone can drive. Might be worth asking?

tga

niallmb
    Free Member

No, I work for a Production Company.

We have a pre production meeting on Saturday for a charity event. Usually we’d either fly or train it up but they were trying to keep costs down so I said thats fine, I’m happy to drive. I then discovered my license issue.

If theres no way of doing it fast then we’ll have to do train or the like but if I can, I’d rather just get it sorted and stick to the original plan

niallmb
    Free Member

thegreatape: surely that leaves the insurance compromised as I gues I technically do not have a valid license?

I think its going to have to be the train

glupton1976
    Free Member

Any time I’ve had to get a new licence for change of address or whatever else its arrived in 2 or 3 days. Big bits of Scotland are snowy now though, so another option might be safer for you all.

maccruiskeen

Call the hire co and advise them of the situation. They are able to verify your details with the DVLA so long as you are picking up the car during office hours – you also need to be physically present while they get that verification. For them its actually the paper bit that matters – notes of any endorsements. They’ll have this situation all the time when people turn up with only the photocard when its actually the paper they need – they can call the DVLA and hand the phone to you – you answer some security questions, hand the phone back to them and they can then check all the details they need to.

So call them, tell them the situation and ask them what you need to bring – I’ve been able to hire with a photocopy of my license whilel its away for renewal

niallmb
    Free Member

thanks, I’ll try calling the hire company.

I’ll send off all the stuff this morning and prep the company credit card for a bashing at the hands of the rail companies. Its my bad, the extra cost will come out of my commission and I shall pretend to take it like a man whilst all the while beating myself up for not keeping on top of my admin at home.

Ah well, life goes on.

maccruiskeen

Does your company have an account with any car hire companies? I ask that because mine (police) does, and when our admin staff book us cars they never specify who’s going to drive and we never have to show licences or anything, the cars just get dropped off for us, and anyone can drive. Might be worth asking?

If its a trade account like that you can either have an account where the hire co provides the insurance or the hirer does – I’d imagine the fuzz have their own hire insurance

maccruiskeen

Its my bad, the extra cost will come out of my commission and I shall pretend to take it like a man

call the hire co first – it shouldn’t be a problem

niallmb
    Free Member

one hire company call coming up.

mark90
    Free Member

I would check this with the DVLA and not take my word as gospel, but as I understand it you are still entitled to drive if the photocard has expired. Keeping the photocard up to date is a fineable offence, much like not changing your address, but does not mean your license has been revoked.

When I renewed mine using the recent passport photo the new photocard arrived within a few days. But you can never rely on DVLA efficiency.

nickwgbr
    Free Member

+1 for mark90, you need to get it updated but you should still be able to use your licence, it’s the photo that expires, not actually the licence, just get the renewal application off with a new photo pronto.

Seems there is a possibility of a fine if you get pulled, and you haven’t sent off the renewal – but that seems the worst case scenario.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/renew-driving-licence#check

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Erm, don’t you get a letter when your photo card expires? I’m sure I did. 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

your license is still valid it will be an issue of you get stopped and it is only a fine. hundreds of people don’t bother updating it and you should initially get a reminder letter from dvla about picture.

phead
    Free Member

The turn around on the post office whizzy photo booth method is less than a week, but you need the renewal form.

irc

Erm, don’t you get a letter when your photo card expires? I’m sure I did.

Not if the DVLA don’t have your current address.

I never updated my address when we moved and b) the photocard has expired.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

irc yes very good point it was early morning when I posted and I was still waking up!

grum
    Free Member

I’ve hired several vans with an expired photocard license with the wrong address on it. They sometimes charge you an extra fiver or so to ring the DVLA and check your details, and you get a telling off, but no more than that. You do still have a valid driving license, it’s only the photo card that’s expired.

niallmb
    Free Member

well thanks for all the advice folks.

I finally got through to the DVLA who would only commit to ‘turning it around as fast as the system would let them’ but couldn’t tell me more than that.

The rental car company have however advised that they will be able to do the DVLA check and so long as my license is away to have the changes made it shouldn’t be a problem.

phew.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘driving license knowledge required’ is closed to new replies.