Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Drilling stans rims
  • wenanwhere
    Free Member

Hi, does anyone know if its ok to drill out the stans flow rim so that it will fit a schrader valve? Got some rim strips to go tubeless and realised they are schrader so wont fit 🙁 bike shop job or diy?

cheers

Matt

cynic-al
    Free Member

Fine yourself

irreversible of course.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

why are you using rims strips?

Onzadog
    Free Member

You don’t need rim strips with stan’s rims. What have you got and what are you trying to do?

scaredypants

I’ve drilled some out

still alive, though I ride like an elderly nun

wenanwhere
    Free Member

I run rim strips on my 355 wheels and they work really well so just think they are more reliable and easier to seal with strips, plus I’ve bought them now anyways…

njee20
    Free Member

Rim strips do make inflation easier, undoubtedly.

And yes, they’ll be fine to drill out.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Been drilling rims for years. Done LOADS. Not the slightest problem ever. It’s a tiny fraction of metal that you remove. Makes bugger all difference to the rim. Do it. 🙂 But only if you NEED to! 8)

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Ok cheers guys

Onzadog
    Free Member

Drilling rims isn’t an issue in itself. My worry is why you would do it to fit rim strips to stan’s rims. The only rim strip I can think of with schrader valves is the dh kit. If you’ve gone for that style of kit, which rims are you using? If It’s the flow, there is a specific strip for those and it has a presta valve. Drilling rims is fine but you may have the wrong rim strips.

TooTall
    Free Member

You’ve bought Flows – why not do what the maker recommends with them – tape and a valve? Lighter, designed for it and works REALLY easily. I find it hard to believe you’d spend that on some wheels only to drill them because you bought the wrong rim strip and want to fit them to wheels that don’t need it? Put the strips on Classifieds and get the proper valve and tape.

wenanwhere
    Free Member

as njee says, just to make things easier, I could just sell them and get the right one’s I suppose but was just trying to avoid the faff/save some money. Also there’s quite a few threads like this http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/why-wont-my-stans-valve-stems-seal-in-my-stans-rims that put me off just the tape as well

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Finally got round to sorting this out, went for the tape and valve option in the end with high roller 2.35 singleply kevlar tyre.

Too tall, basically it doesnt work well at all. Just unstoppable amount of bubbling from the rim even when soaped up and lots of sealant sloshing around. Perhaps it would work ok with a tubeless tyre. Will try will the rim strips next…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Drilling stans rims’ is closed to new replies.