Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Downhilling in the Pentlands
  • duir
    Free Member

I am new to this neck of the woods and am interested in finding decent downhills in the Pentlands preferably on the north side. I have been out exploring on my hardtail and found some good stuff but would like to take the shocker out more. I would like to source some decent downhills that I could get to quickly from Livingston without having to travel to Innerliethen.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I doubt you will find downhills like innerleithan. There are some quite slow and tricky bits (in the woods above bonaly tower / around torduff resovoir) and some wide open fast descents but I know nothing in the pentlands that is downhill in a DHracer stylee

GW
    Free Member

Would have thought Perth/Dunkeld/Falkland would all be around 40mins for you. (How long does it take you to inners? an hour?)
    TJ – look harder! friends assure me there are some nice but short DH sections with nice turns/small jumps etc. @ Bonally – gotta be worth a look, eh?.
    personally, if I lived in Livi for local riding I’d be getting the BMX out. 😉

Dougal
    Free Member

GW has the right clues.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have ridden every route I can find – including 4 / 5 different descents and variations of them above bonally. perhaps one persons nice short DH section is anothers nice XC section?

Kit
    Free Member

There’s some downhill style stuff in the trees above Bonaly – built up jumps, some small berms etc. I wouldn’t class it as XC unless you’re world cup level.

GW
    Free Member

lol @ TJ 😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I’ll have another look next time I’m out that way. Must be something I and the other folk I ride with have never seen. Small jumps and berms – does that make it DH?

druidh
    Free Member

There’s some stuff on youtube:

That’s obviously not XC as they’re wearing body armour 🙄

alpin
    Free Member

1st vid. crap. lots of silly foot off action when it’s not needed.

2nd vid. calum darling….. you ride like a gayer. only redeeming factor was you had kings of leon as a sound track. you still ride like a gayer though.

TJ. yeah, tis just singletrack.

rs
    Free Member

some of that looks like more fun than most of the trails in the pentlands.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

One of those tracks in the vids I have been down before on the tandem. Couldn’t ride the whole thing tho as it had a turn that was too sharp to get the tandem round – infact the day I was there no one could get a halfbike round it – too eroded away.

Those vids look like xc to me.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Downhilling in the Pentlands’ is closed to new replies.