Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Dog Jackets
  • ghastlyrabbitfat
    Free Member

After many years deliberation our family has a four legged dude as a new addition. A four year old staffie, we rescued him from Cheshire Dog’s Home just over a week ago and all is looking well so far.

As my dreams extend to seeing an aspirant hill dog, my only concern for him is the lack of insulation he is carrying both in terms of lack of fat and hair. Obviously a short haired dog, though there is not very much of this in the lower chest/belly area. I have more hair on my belly!

Is it worth considering some form of jacket for hill excursions in winter? He has not yet been tested on the hill. Thanks.

sandwicheater

Smear the dog in lard/Vaseline to give it that winter layer it needs. You will need to post photos of said lardy dog.

alanf
    Free Member

We got one for ours (Jack Russel/Staffie cross rescue) as if he’s standing still he starts shivering so keeps him a bit warmer.
    It’s a double layer, waterproof outer and detachable fleece liner.
    He seems to like it and knows it’s walkies times when it comes out.
    He comes running too but we don’t put it on for that as it would make him too hot.

letmetalktomark

We have three dachshunds. Their coats are very short and two of the three don’t carry much in the way of “reserves”. As such they have basic coats.

We tried several styles and ended up with one that buckles up around their chests and one under the belly. We find this style doesn’t rub and adds a degree of warmth for them when its windy.

Any help?

ghastlyrabbitfat
    Free Member

Good call sarnie. Would be more waterproof than Goretex.

surfer
    Free Member

Our Lakeland stands like a statue and refuses to move if we try to put a coat on her. I think as a terrier she feels humiliated amongst her peers.
    Our Cocker doesnt stand still long enough to put a coat on and if you do manage it he doesnt seem bothered.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

I think the jacket idea is for our piece of mind rather than what the doggie needs, we got one for ours and its hardly seen the outside of the draw it lives in, our dog (short haired patterdale) is out in all weathers and has no bad effects from it, as long as you are not stood still in exposed places for long amounts of time doggie won’t get too cold

bruneep

Wife wants to get one for our westie, I am resisting this.

He rolls in in snow,frost and swims/paddles in the river in the depths of winter. If he is cold he has to stop this nonsense.

ghastlyrabbitfat
    Free Member

Thanks so far.

Yes, I wondered if he would resist being forced into a jacket so we may have to pop to friendly local shop to give this a whirl. And regards the dog being able to cope naturally, I wonder if he would just batter on in bad conditions following us when if he were not being led all his instincts would tell him to get out of there or seek shelter.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

I recently saw a collie being walked in a full on dog suit! Full body and legs. It was about 10C and drizzling lightly. The poor thing looked embarrassed.

Del

My spaniel has one. actually she has ‘some’. :hangsheadinshame:
    the ex bought them. my defense and I’m sticking to it. the one that gets used is a jumper style made by equafleece. polartech and everything. the dog is bloody pathetic in the van in the cold mornings, sitting there shivering, so it does get used.
    also really handy when she’s soaking, as it does a good job of warming her up and drying her off without me having to get in a wrestling match with her.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I like the retriever style neoprene jackets. This kind of thing:

gobuchul
    Free Member

The Mrs bought 2 quite expensive ones for ours, in Keswick, while I was on the bike in Whinlatter.

They were about £40 each, she knows I would of vetoed it if I had been there!

However, they are very good quality and have lasted well.

Keeps them clean as well, which is a massive bonus.

Hurtta Jacket

surfer
    Free Member

I do have a harness for the cocker for when he comes running with me. Its useful for lifting him over things and he does get filthy so getting him in and out of the car and also holding him back from things is easier.
    Its priceless when I get the harness down as oppose to his lead as he knows he is going for a run 🙂

flowerpower
    Free Member

I have jackets for my two (Kelpies). A thin waterproof which gets used when walking in the pouring rain to save having to dry them both off (especially on a morning winter walk as they live outside during the day in kennels and i wouldn’t want to put them into the kennels while wet).

And a thick insulated one which they get in the kennels if the weather is going to stay below freezing for the day.

I rarely use either when we are out on the hills, again unless it is subzero, as they are so active, but I do take them in the car (winter evenings) so that if the wet dogs are left in the boot while we go to the pub on the way home they are okay.

The waterproof ones are cheap and cheerful, but are wearing / washing well HERE

The insulated ones are more expensive with two velcro belly straps and leg loops as they need to stay in place all day HERE. I am particularly impressed with the way these are made and fit. They are better than the web page looks!

I also have the harnesses which (i think) surfer means above with a handle to help them over gates. There is also a rope attachment point for if the scrambles get a bit steep and you need to give them a hand up. I think they are ruffwear and they give a good coverage for wind / wet protection.

Whichever you use, just check for strap rubs when you are out on a walk. All dogs are different shapes and what works for one may not work for another.

mt
    Free Member

My two have matchies of these http://www.fridayfox.co.uk/Dog-Coats

After a cold day or wet day out working they seem happy to have them on for the snooze in the back of the car on the way home.

Did consider getting a matching waist coat myself but it was made clear to me I’d be confirming that I’m a sad git. Apparently this is true but masking it obvious to everyone could be a mistake.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

St Bernard pelts make ideal winter jackets.

ghastlyrabbitfat
    Free Member

Thanks again.

Hadn’t occurred to me to consider using a jacket back at the car, returning wet. Bit dumb as it’s the first thing you do for yourself in the same conditions.

Surprised no-one has mentioned Dalmations yet. You lot are getting slow 😉

benp1

Why would you put one on a Labrador?

They have a double coat and were bred for retrieving stuff in cold water

For smaller dogs I can understand it (just)

When my lab was a pup I put a hi vis coat on him when walking him near the road, just in case. Made him look like a guide dog

Hi vis jacket might be a good shout for dogs when walking in the dark, a la thread where cyclist hits dogs

TomB

We’ve got a thin waterproof for our trail hound, more to keep her from stinking of wet dog on return, and making her easier to towel off. If they are active they are fine.

tonyd

If I put one on ours (Springer/Cocker cross) it would just be something else to scrape mud and slime from. She takes great pleasure in finding the smelliest bog and having a lie down, even when she has to break the ice first.

66deg
    Free Member

On the catwalk today we have Yoda looking splendid in her flag themed T-shirt.

[/url][/img]
    [/url] hébergeur image gratuit[/img]

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Ours has a bald belly, he gets very cold around now. Fleece jumper seems to do the trick.

samuri
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qEZUxa]ruby-christmas[/url] by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

irelanst
    Free Member

I was out at the weekend and it was a bit nippy but there was some a woman walking 2 huskies which had puffa jackets on – they must have been cooking.

My wife and daughter have tried a few times to buy ‘outfits’ for our dog but I’m really against it. Firstly, she’d rip it to shreds and more importantly she’d probaby strangle herself running through brambles wearing anything.

mattbee

Ours has a coat, made by Troll in a fetching ‘mountain rescue red’ with hi viz bits. Handy for spotting him in the dark but the main reason he wears it now is because he has back and hip problems and the extra warmth seems to help his flexibility.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Out the other day, sunny, bit windy but not that cold, and I pass a very hairy German Shepherd wearing a dog coat – why???

mamadirt
    Free Member

Lazgoat – Member

I recently saw a collie being walked in a full on dog suit! Full body and legs. It was about 10C and drizzling lightly. The poor thing looked embarrassed.

Passed a greyhound/lurcher the other day in a full zebra suit 😆

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Dog Jackets’ is closed to new replies.