Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Does Jamie Oliver write his own books?
  • Harry_the_Spider

…or are they done by someone else and he just puts his name/brand on them?

I’m a fair cook and can follow instructions, but out of the 3 recipes tried so far 2 have been absolutely awful and the one that was OK was supposed to serve four but I had enough left over to feed another four.

scaredypants

I think they’re pukka

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

He doesn’t do his own tidying up- that’s for sure!

donks
    Free Member

Dunno…but I’ve found the opposite. It’s fair to say I have lined his pockets a bit and have most of his books but I rarely find much wrong with the recipes I try… And I’m no ace in the kitchen. Just tonight I did his daal and cauliflower aloo and it’s a winner imo

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Can he write?

Nah fair play much respect to him

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i have one that has a recipe for a fish finger sandwich in it. as in, grill some fish fingers and put between 2 slices of bread. takes up 2 pages as it has a photo.

corroded
    Free Member

I’m reasonably sure that a) he doesn’t write the books and b) that the recipes are professionally tested.

woodster

i have one that has a recipe for a fish finger sandwich in it. as in, grill some fish fingers and put between 2 slices of bread. takes up 2 pages as it has a photo.

But it’s useful in assessing the man and how much faith to put in his recipes. I’m quite interested to know what Mr Oliver thinks ought to be included in a fish finger butty.

warton
    Free Member

In the past he would have devised the recipes.

these days, who knows, worth 200 million or so, I imagine he has a ‘team’ that does them for him…

RobHilton
    Free Member

daal and cauliflower aloo

That makes no sense

wallop

I think he’s brilliant. But he’s wrong about putting garlic in macaroni cheese.

MrOvershoot

I’ve cooked a fair few of his dishes & they can be a bit hit and miss, but I always know what needs tweaking so the second time they are much better (to me anyway)

TBH these days I use the internet to source a range of recipes for the same dish & pick one that is closest to my tastes or what I have in stock, sadly it often involves red wine :/

donks
    Free Member

daal and cauliflower aloo
    That makes no sense

It’s two separate dishes.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

I’m quite interested to know what Mr Oliver thinks ought to be included in a fish finger butty.

ketchup under the fish fingers and (he stresses this point) you have to press down on the top of the completed sandwich

Superficial
    Free Member

A friend of mine used to write for Jamie. Or at least she worked in “recipe development” or something along those lines. She now writes her own books. Look her up – Anna Jones. I don’t know a definite answer to your question but there is definitely a medium -sized team around him – as you’d surely expect.

I’ve always found Jamie’s recipes to be pretty good, but I never follow stuff to the letter when I’m cooking so YMMV.

bikebouy
    Free Member

OP, I doubt it very much.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

From the Cook books we publish, he will create the recipes himself. He is a bit of a tube though.

RobHilton
    Free Member

It’s two separate dishes languages.

DezB
    Free Member

15 Minute Meals is crap. There are about 3 useable recipes in that book. SO many special ingredients that you use once and never again. Yet in his TV series he makes the recipes look easy and practical!

jimster01

Yet in his TV series he makes the recipes look easy and practical!

You don’t get to see all the rehearsals though do we?

Should imagine he does write his own books, pretty sure they’re just recycled so so many times

ourmaninthenorth

A friend of mine used to write for Jamie…Look her up – Anna Jones.

I think I saw a pic of one of her books on miketually’s instagram tonight. Good on her – hope she’s successful..!

these days, who knows, worth 200 million or so

Indeed. He’s the richest chef in the world AFAIK – he must be doing something right.

ART

A friend of mine used to write for Jamie. Or at least she worked in “recipe development” or something along those lines. She now writes her own books. Look her up – Anna Jones.

I’ve just bought one of her books, it’s totally fab. Will be cooking from it exclusively for the next few weeks 🙂

grum
    Free Member

I’ve always found Jamie’s recipes to be pretty good, but I never follow stuff to the letter when I’m cooking so YMMV.

+1

IdleJon

woodster – Member

But it’s useful in assessing the man and how much faith to put in his recipes. I’m quite interested to know what Mr Oliver thinks ought to be included in a fish finger butty.

Yes, this is right. I remember watching a James Martin thing where he was fussing over the best bacon buttie in the world. Assembling the proper bacon on home baked bread, how to cook the bacon and all that. And then he used buttery spread to butter the bread. Totally spoiled it for me – I’d never, ever use spread on a premium, ‘best of’ sandwich of any description. Any confidence I might have had in his cooking was lost instantly. (Before he had his anti-cyclist moment.)

allthepies
    Free Member

He does his own calendar.

Cougar

TBH these days I use the internet to source a range of recipes for the same dish & pick one that is closest to my tastes or what I have in stock,

I tend to do that but then create my own recipe by cribbing various ideas from them.

DrJ

And do his real friends come round at the end of the programme, like on that gurning pain Nigella’s programme?

IdleJon

He does his own calendar

Does he release the 2004 calendar every year, then? 🙂

gobuchul
    Free Member

I lost all faith in him when he was advertising for Sainsbury and he was telling people to use topside for roast beef. 🙄

johnners
    Free Member

And then he used buttery spread to butter the bread

James Martin? Are you sure? About the only thing that sticks in my mind from watching him cook on telly is that he’s very keen on actual butter.

RustySpanner

Dunno who does the Hairy Bikers stuff, but it’s usually spot on.

Drac

I lost all faith in him when he was advertising for Sainsbury and he was telling people to use topside for roast beef.

Topside is great for roasting.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Topside is great for roasting.

No it’s not. It’s a pot roast joint.

simondbarnes

I’m with Drac on this one.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Then you’re both wrong.

simondbarnes

It’s nice that your world is so black and white 🙂

crazy-legs

I used a few of his cake recipes for inspiration when I was baking for a local cycling café but they all needed tweaking to get them right.

15 Minute Meals is crap. There are about 3 useable recipes in that book. SO many special ingredients that you use once and never again. Yet in his TV series he makes the recipes look easy and practical!

All of them do that – assume you’ve got the full range of knives, pots, pans, baking tins, spices all right at your fingertips.

DezB
    Free Member

lost all faith in him when he was advertising for Sainsbury and he was telling people to use topside for roast beef.

I (or you) may not rate his books, but I’m damn sure he wouldn’t be a famous chef without knowing what was a decent cut of meat.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I’m quite interested to know what Mr Oliver thinks ought to be included in a fish finger butty.
    ketchup under the fish fingers and (he stresses this point) you have to press down on the top of the completed sandwich

Jamie obviously knows sweet FA about fish finger sandwiches as he doesn’t use tartare sauce in his. Basic, basic error.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Does Jamie Oliver write his own books?’ is closed to new replies.