Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Does everyone monarch have a knock?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps,

Does everyone else’s monarch have a bit of a knocking feel when it moves through about 25% of the travel? As if the compression damping is kicking in, or the chambers are evenining out.

Ive only had two and both have done it, so wondering if it’s just normal.

Cheers

Ricks

mboy
    Free Member

Nope

Just you!

On a serious note… How many volume spacers you running in both positive and negative chambers? A brief play has confirmed that adding even just one or two into the negative chamber can introduce a definite transition (though I wouldn’t call it a knock) as you cycle through the shock’s stroke. If that makes sense?

chakaping
    Free Member

No.

Did you get a Reign with the Monarch RT in the end?

rickon
    Free Member

Ive got three bands in the positive, I’m assuming the positive is at the top too…

Transition is a good word for it, its non-existent if I push down slowly, but if I push quickly its more apparent. Which is a bit odd on bimblily riding, don’t notice it on faster or steeper riding, as I’m further into the stroke by then.

rickon
    Free Member

Chaka .. It’s the RC3+. First one I had on the enduro did the exact same thing, with no volume bands. This also did it without any volume bands too.

andymc06
    Free Member

My monarch RT does that on my Reign. Read elsewhere that it is due to the negative air chamber and not an issue???

chakaping
    Free Member

Mine doesn’t, but another one the exact same model I had made a whooshing noise. Both feel very fluid and active though.

benpinnick

Its normal – its the balancing of the chambers. Can be more or less noisy depending on how much grease gets in the transfer port.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Nope

julzm
    Free Member

Got one that came with a nomad frame 6 months ago. It’s gone back for warranty and they’re sending a replacement.

Similar knocking effect.

rickon
    Free Member

Cheers Ben

Where’s the transfer port on the monarçh? Can I pop the can off and clean off the additional grease?

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

My Rc3+ has developed a significant knock when in full open mode. Had it since sept and it was fine. In both climbing and mid setting it’s smooth, flip to fully open and its there.

Emailed rockshox who said it could be the rebound pin sticking. Suggested I turn rebound fully open and bounce up and down on bike to try and release it. Everytime I do this it disappears. Then if I leave it untouched for a few days it comes back. Weird.

darrenspink
    Free Member

My first one went back after two months as it was really bad in both trail and party mode (2014 model). Replacement went back after another month, at which point I bought a spare. I now have a 2015 and the knocking is there on trail but not when open.

Still got a spare in case this one becomes anoying as well.

darrenspink
    Free Member
    benpinnick

Its inside the inner air can You probably dont want to do it unless its a real problem for you. I am guessing that when you say knock, its a knock feel not a real clunk noise (its normally a feeling of a brief sudden sag with an accompanying whoosh/squelch). Its one of those things that is annoying in your garage but probably immaterial on the trail TBH.

bigjim

Mine had a knock you could feel at that point after about 60 hours use I think, a seal change sorted it right out. However shortly after that it started making a different loud knocking noise and off it went for warranty…

If it’s still doing it after 20 hours or something it might be worth unscrewing it and checking it’s all lubed properly.

rickon
    Free Member

It was a bit dry to start with, so cracked it open and popped on some float Fluid.

Ben- yep, its a feel rather than noise.

I do noticed it once in a while on the trail.

rooster42
    Free Member

It’s not ‘Normal’ but I have rebuilt the Monarch+ Shock on my old bike three times to cure it. Changing the rebound chamber fluid seems to cure it but I think its more to do with air getting in there rather than the fluid needing changing as it has always come out clean and it needs lots of bleeding to get the air out. Tried changing the seals last time, but have now got a new bike so will not find out if this cured it permanently or not. However the new bike has a Monarch+ Debonair so I’m sure to get more practice at rebuilds!

rickon
    Free Member

I had thought that same thing that it could be cavitation, which from cold would have the air and the oil separated and then in use would mix so appear to go away.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Well my new ones started doing this 👿
    Thought the problem was behind me with it being the latest model but obviously not. I might send a video to TF and see what they think, hopefully it’s a warrenty job rather than service.

Did you send yours back rickon?

callmetc
    Free Member

got a monarch that is really squelchy and has minimal dampening the first 15% ish of travel. ever so slightly knocking noise too.

benpinnick

got a monarch that is really squelchy and has minimal dampening the first 15% ish of travel. ever so slightly knocking noise too.

Sounds to me like your IFP might have lost pressure. That would cause all the symptoms you have.

callmetc
    Free Member

thanks for the reply. getting it sent of Monday to be looked at.

I will be changing shock to something better anyways but since I paid for this used frame from a cycle shop I want the shock working up to scratch.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Does everyone monarch have a knock?’ is closed to new replies.