Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Monarch Debonair knocking problem.
  • darrenspink
    Free Member

Hi all, second time this has happened now. In the top end of its travel I get a slight knocking sound. First time I sent it away to be fixed, after putting some bottomless rings in its back.

Would rather not be out it for two weeks again, anyone got an idea of what it could be and a fix?

bigjim

Are you very sure it is the shock and not the frame or mounting hardware? I had a knock develop in mine, had to take it out the frame and compress on its own to be sure it was the shock. Fishers replaced it under warranty but beware it might take them months to get a replacement in the right tune, I didn’t want to wait and took the default MM aftermarket tune which was a bit of a mistake with hindsight.

RS service manual tells you everything you need to totally take it to bits so you could just get stuck in…

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Mine has developed a knock or ‘notch’ about a third of the way into the travel. Feels like it lines up with the solo air port opening and equalising – started after I’d been playing with adding bands.

I stripped the air can off and the damper is totally smooth. Cleaned inside the air can in case the port was blocked but still doing it.

Might try an air can seal service and see if that cures it.

bigjim

Mine has developed a knock or ‘notch’ about a third of the way into the travel.

I also had this, as if it accelerated slightly about a third of the way in, and a seal kit sorted it out. I don’t think the RS seals are as good as Fox Float ones, I had a surprising amount of dirt in them.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Yep sure its not the frame or anything else. When it came back last time all was good.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

There is a chance it’s the +\- chambers equalising. That can feel like a knock. The CCDB Air does the same too.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

mine just went away to sram for the same problem, replaced under warranty. felt horrible, like the bearings needed changed but it was all the shock.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Might try an air can seal service and see if that cures it.

Let me know if it sorts it.

deanfbm
    Free Member

My monarch currently has a knocking sensation, only compression, definitely the damper (does it with air can off), knocking feels like the eyelet bush is worn.

Bloody annoying, happened on my last one too which was replaced under warranty. Don’t wat the hassle of sending to the online retailer to send to sram tech, to send back to the retailer to me, gonna take a couple of weeks.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Had the same thing last week. Took it to LBS for warranty and received bike back 2 days later with Monarch+ Debonair fitted. Was informed that there was a pile of them in for similar and they were not even bothering to look at them. Simply sending out the + if the customer was happy with that option.
    UK may be slightly different.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Shocks gone back. I bought a replacement 2015 version off ebay (new) to tide me over.
    It better not bloody do it as well.

Anybody learnt more about this problem or any new folk had it happen to them?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Monarch Debonair knocking problem.’ is closed to new replies.